Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aeroch

wp/sbg dev ppl

I've always thought mobs had something personal against me too. This may explain it. I sense a conspiracy against me.

Reminds me of the "Wi Flag" in Asheron's Call.  It was long suspected by the players and strongly denied by the devs.  Eventually, the devs did find the bug and acknowledge the players were right all along.  Mobs really did have it out for certain players.

I wonder if something similar was hiding in SB.

Edited by jah

IhhQKY6.gif

- The idea the World being broken and Heaven being closed was engineered to give a narrative reason for why player characters respawn -- there is no afterlife, and the worlds are basically "limbo", an eternal battle.  Cool idea, right?  Meh.  As it turns out, players don't care at ALL why their avatars respawn.  So, I chalk this one up to "cool idea that pretty much only Meridian and I knew or cared about."

Todd

ACE

This was one of the coolest parts I thought about the SB lore. A game that actually explained, very feasible and well imo, the reason behind respawning and no perma-death. If only more people got their tongues cut off every time they respawned...  :P

P.S. I expect to be able to exploit using a Rod of Command on mobs.

1. How do you guys feel about the current emus and the extreme lengths they've gone to to recreate the game? Is it a compliment to your work? Is it a bastardization to run away with it and change everything? Is it ridiculous (sad) that so many people (we) would spend so many hours rebuilding let alone following a game that was dead for years and years?

2. Archons: 'Splain.

1. How do you guys feel about the current emus and the extreme lengths they've gone to to recreate the game? Is it a compliment to your work? Is it a bastardization to run away with it and change everything? Is it ridiculous (sad) that so many people (we) would spend so many hours rebuilding let alone following a game that was dead for years and years?

Great Thread enjoyed every post, looking forward to more discussion, and a little more insight to business driven aspect of development, such as certain restrictions, or requirements set forth by Ubi, or things that Ubisoft vetoed in favor of something else. 

I was fascinated by JTodd's post about the reasoning behind his decisions with Trammel, maybe we can hear the hardships of Shadowbane that directly affected the content we were given, or is there still some sort of NDA still barring you from spillin' the good stuff?

"Camouflage is the color of fear..  I have no need to hide from my foes.. I have no fear of death.  My colors I wear openly, they proclaim louder than any words, "I am proud to live, I am proud to die."

2. Archons: 'Splain.

I'll just speak for myself (as usual, heh). It is obviously a great compliment that people would go to such lengths to keep a game up and running that closed so long ago... especially when I know trying to figure out how to do so is no easy feat. Add on top of that all the interest there are by people to see those up and running and want to participate speaks volumes to me.

As for the changes, I think that is just bound to happen. The original founders had a vision for Shadowbane and that changed some when others took up design for it and I imagine my vision for Shadowbane when I took over design wasn't exactly what others before me may have chosen. Every Designer (or Creative Lead) has their own thoughts and ideas and it is only natural they are going to run with it.

What I imagine that those rebuilding and running these types of things have learned, though, is that while designing may not be rocket-science, it is also hard. Every little change you make can have huge ripple effects. That is probably one of the reasons you see so many people want to be designers but not all of them succeed as one. It takes a special kind of thought process to not only come up with ideas but also figure out how people might abuse them and then, when you think you're golden, actually be flexible enough to change it when you see how people really use it (but not as a kneejerk reaction and weigh the "whining" from the legitimate complaints).

Sean aka Ashen Temper | http://www.seandahlberg.com/

Without the Player, there is no Game!

I'll just speak for myself (as usual, heh). 

*snip*

It takes a special kind of thought process to not only come up with ideas but also figure out how people might abuse them and then, when you think you're golden, actually be flexible enough to change it when you see how people really use it (but not as a kneejerk reaction and weigh the "whining" from the legitimate complaints).

and this is why many of us stuck around after SBG took over....we may not have agreed with all your choices...but at least you thought it through and adjusted as required

hopefully these Devs are up to the task...

cuz we WILL break shyte...

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

and this is why many of us stuck around after SBG took over....we may not have agreed with all your choices...but at least you thought it through and adjusted as required

hopefully these Devs are up to the task...

cuz we WILL break shyte...

Funny enough, that is how I got into design. When I originally joined the team, I helped out with some things (mainly a Design Intern) but my main focus was Community and Feature Characters... all about engaging and interacting with the community. But I'd find broken stuff and I think it was Damion who finally said that I should start bringing some solutions with me and not just problems :)  I started doing that and thinking of new and existing features, how they could be enhanced, how they could be abused, etc. And then I started to learn the fun in creating design docs... 

Sean aka Ashen Temper | http://www.seandahlberg.com/

Without the Player, there is no Game!

Did they just make this subforum area? I swear it wasn't here the other day... Hmmm, I could probably write a book about Shadowbane. Considering the weekend is just around the corner, I just might, lol!

Anything in particular you're wondering?

Yes... did you truly despise the Elves? We were always convinced you did :P 

Filthy Templar

lol mindworm. CCR for the ages. dude did his job is all.

I can't tell you how many times he booted us from SB because we mysteriously chain summoned into a city. It's not our fault Zerg guilds give out free invites to our alts.

I have stories for days on his power hungry ass.

I can't tell you how many times he booted us from SB because we mysteriously chain summoned into a city. It's not our fault Zerg guilds give out free invites to our alts.

I have stories for days on his power hungry bottom.

lol really? Only thing he ever did that bugged me was move my perched druid into mobs. Knew it would happen. We'd monitor track and whoever came on track and then mindworm showed right after got a bane stone.

Huh.  Let's see if I can pull this thread back on-topic.  

- Centaurs made the cut, because I think Centaurs are cool.  Especially when they are wearing plate or heavy horse barding.  Truthfully, I lifted the idea from Shining Force, and I've used it in ... well, every game that I've every done, actually.

- The Greymen and the Templars were inspired by the Wheel of Time series.

- The idea the World being broken and Heaven being closed was engineered to give a narrative reason for why player characters respawn -- there is no afterlife, and the worlds are basically "limbo", an eternal battle.  Cool idea, right?  Meh.  As it turns out, players don't care at ALL why their avatars respawn.  So, I chalk this one up to "cool idea that pretty much only Meridian and I knew or cared about."

I could fill this forum with posts about SB, and while it's fun to talk about over a beer, it's also a massive time sink.  

If you guys find this stuff interesting, I'll post more random trivia again some other time... but right now I need to get back to making Crowfall.

Todd

ACE

Way late to the party, but have to say that there are quite a few of us in the vocal minority that absolutely loved the complex, deep, and well written lore for Shadowbane.  Its absolutely fantastic stuff that allowed for variation and conflict and gave plenty of base material (as Meridian liberally borrowed from many excellent source mythologies and legends). 

Crowfall could do far worse than hiring Meridian again to give the Crowfall lore a through going over. If you have to, pay him to have a side-grind to his day job and get him started early!

I had heard that JTodd saved the SB Centaurs as a noble race before from Merek. I'm very glad to see them make another appearance.... (in 10 years from now, while we wait for Crowfall's successor, I'd love to hear what fever dream compelled you to add the Guinea Pigs). 

Its true many gamers, maybe even most, don't care about a backstory.  Shadowbane stands out as a giant in the area of lore; a masterwork that perhaps, in truth, remains largely unknown to the general gaming public. 

Edited by angelmar

Its true many gamers, maybe even most, don't care about a backstory.  Shadowbane stands out as a giant in the area of lore; a masterwork that perhaps, in truth, remains largely unknown to the general gaming public. 

Actually this is completely untrue. In a survey I did for my master's dissertation at university, story ranked second in terms of "most important", just behind gameplay, but ahead of immersion, stability, features and graphics.