Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roxfall

Artcraft: Quiz For Your Artists.

If you need to hire a new artist, please make sure they pass this test first!

It might be a good idea to test every artist on the team, to be sure. You never know!

It won't take very long, there's only one question, and it's multiple choice.

I know it's odd, but this is a serious matter, as I have seen, time and time again, in many games, very talented character artists who just don't get it. There's nothing to be ashamed of, we're all learning, and making mistakes is what makes us human.

With that being said, here's the quiz.

Which of these is a sword?

QZygnRk.jpg

Hint: I like my elves like I like my swords: sharp, straight and to the point :)

Greatswords for Frostweavers 2015! For great justice! And swords.

P.S. I like swords.

If you need to hire a new artist, please make sure they pass this test first!

It might be a good idea to test every artist on the team, to be sure. You never know!

It won't take very long, there's only one question, and it's multiple choice.

I know it's odd, but this is a serious matter, as I have seen, time and time again, in many games, very talented character artists who just don't get it. There's nothing to be ashamed of, we're all learning, and making mistakes is what makes us human.

Maybe we need a quiz for forum posters as well.

The design and style of swords should be dependent on the overall art direction of the game.  Are you the art director for Crowfall?

Sorry you turned into a two-bit carebear whose feelings get hurt over forum banter.

I believe the term is artistic freedom. Anyone could come up with a typical broadsword but thinking up something like D is highly impressive.

but I pick G if I want to fight with a giant spork gosh dern I should have the option!

H - none of the above.

Sure, it is a trick question and it leads one to want to select B, but lets look at B...

The fuller is too deep and too narrow for anything but a show piece as it does nothing for shifting the weight of the blade back towards the hand, the blade itself is a travesty and will not function well as either a slashing weapon or a piercing weapon, the guard is a total joke and should be openly mocked for coming far too high and acting as a catch that will cause a runner impact to unbalance its owner, the tang is far too small to support that blade heft, the grip is too short for the blade heft, and the pommel nut could stand to either be three times larger or made of depleted uranium to shift weight back to the hand.

Basically, great for Conan movies - complete suck as a weapon.

Look up Kirby D. Wise for some examples of proper weapons. ;)

Do I win?

Problem is, you get to use a rail road tie or a spork to fight whatever in every other mmo out there, to the point of not being able to find an actual sword in game.

It's come back around full circle, where sticking with a sword (as opposed to everything else roughly phallic shaped) may be seen as creative and original.

When I start a new MMO, my first order of business is to find a beginner weapon that looks moderately reasonable, and then keep it until late game (i.e. forever) and pray to the RNG gods that there is some sort of cosmetic option to substitute an item's appearance with another. I did this in Wildstar and Guild Wars 2. It's gotten out of hand. You can't find anything that looks like a sword between the ties and the sporks.

Hence, the quiz.

No, I'm not the art lead. I'm much worse. I'm a demographic.

Edit: grammar.

Edited by Roxfall

Greatswords for Frostweavers 2015! For great justice! And swords.

P.S. I like swords.