Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What if... hear me out... there arn't any NPCs at all. None. No barkeeps no merchants nothing.

If you want to buy something you do it from a player, you want to build something but need mats ask another player. 

-No quests

-no grinding

-no storyline

Just good old fashioned sandbox style emergent behavior.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No guards No merchants No bankers No trainers No automated resource gatherers No caravans No pets   No, sorry.   Just because you don't want grinding and questing doesn't mean there is no pl

So people with RL obligations are lazy? People with families or a lot of work are lazy. I think people that can play a game 14 hours a day are lazy, since they don't have anything else to do.

Because nobody can play 24/7 and would suck to go to sleep and when you get back on your castle is a flaming crater.

Well, we already know there are skill trainers, but they haven't said they're npcs. Could be a training dummy or something.

Other than that, I don't think they've said word one about NPCs in game, other than mobs.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

No guards

No merchants

No bankers

No trainers

No automated resource gatherers

No caravans

No pets

No, sorry.

Just because you don't want grinding and questing doesn't mean there is no place for them at all.

They have already confirmed that there will be no quests or quest npcs.

I think I also heard something about there noteven being an auctionhouse.

This game is going to be almost completely playerdriven, so theres barely going to be any NPC's at all.

A whole slew of questions related to NPC guards then: 

Well what size group are we talking about? A single person builds a castle and expects it to last? 10 people build a castle and expect to hold off a guild?

How many guards can you hire and how much would that cost?

How difficult are the NPC guards? Enough to ensure safety over night, so sieges need to be scheduled events? Or killable with enough effort allowing your castle to be destroyed anyway?

Do I just build a castle on an important resource and then hire a bunch of "Level 99" guards and not log back in long enough to get attacked?

If they are powerful enough to defend your holding, where do they go when a siege starts? Do they get weaker for the sake of balancing the battle?

If they aren't powerful enough to ensure defense while players are sleeping, how long would it take a raiding party to take the castle apart anyway?

If this is a physics simulation, can't anyone just toss fireballs at your walls at any time and punch holes in the walls? Are physics scheduled between attackers and defenders?

Because nobody can play 24/7 and would suck to go to sleep and when you get back on your castle is a flaming crater.

Your reasoning doesn't seem realistic to a group size that should be building a castle. Maybe I am wrong though. 

To everyone mentioning guards, merchants etc... 

Guards sound like a horrible idea. They have said for pvp castle attacks there will be some sort of timer or handshake. I.E. you walk away to go to sleep your castle is immune to attack for 12 hours (from the trees that drop bloodstones or whatever)

The last thing I want in a PVP heavy game is to grind mobs of PVE guards because you are to lazy to log in... I sure as hell don't want castle raiding to be WoW raiding in player built castles...

I would still rather see everything player driven... I played eve online for 5 years about 1/3 of that in WH and Null. Having 0 NPCs was awesome. Not only did it force you to be creative in acquiring resources but it also made players who do crafting, marketing, trading, and other things PVP heavy players find boring, very valuable.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3746-npc-sentries-and-squires/

Well, I show here, that NPC's are needed as guards. 

Read this. 

Even for the largest guilds not everyone can play all the time. A lot of people can't even play every day. The game would get pretty boring if all people do is take undefended or lightly defended castles from eachother. It's also probable that the devs already know of this and have thought of a fix.

To everyone mentioning guards, merchants etc... 

Guards sound like a horrible idea. They have said for pvp castle attacks there will be some sort of timer or handshake. I.E. you walk away to go to sleep your castle is immune to attack for 12 hours (from the trees that drop bloodstones or whatever)

The last thing I want in a PVP heavy game is to grind mobs of PVE guards because you are to lazy to log in... I sure as hell don't want castle raiding to be WoW raiding in player built castles...

I would still rather see everything player driven... I played eve online for 5 years about 1/3 of that in WH and Null. Having 0 NPCs was awesome. Not only did it force you to be creative in acquiring resources but it also made players who do crafting, marketing, trading, and other things PVP heavy players find boring, very valuable.

So people with RL obligations are lazy? People with families or a lot of work are lazy. I think people that can play a game 14 hours a day are lazy, since they don't have anything else to do.

No, No, No... No guards.

If you have ever gone on a POS shoot in EVE online then you know it won't work. you hire 10 guards I bring 20 players. You hire 50 guards I bring 100 players; and so on. 

This isn't a solution just a creative way to sneak in PVE... 

Even in Eve you had automated turrets to protect player owned structures. Guards are just the fantasy version of those.

No, No, No... No guards.

If you have ever gone on a POS shoot in EVE online then you know it won't work. you hire 10 guards I bring 20 players. You hire 50 guards I bring 100 players; and so on. 

This isn't a solution just a creative way to sneak in PVE... 

It's because of those turrets that my POS survived while I slept. I got up the next day, repaired and then beat the living day lights out of those who had assaulted us. If that had not been the case, I'd be several hundred million out of pocket all because I am human and need to sleep, and happened not to play in the same time zone as those guys.

NPC guards aside,

I don't think that a player who can only play 1 hour a day should expect to hold a castle. Or even a dozen players who get together for the same 1 hour day. Castles should be something that larger groups of players (or guilds) come together to make and thus could defend for most hours a day.

It's because of those turrets that my POS survived while I slept

No, no it isn't. it's because your tower was invincible. Every pos turret in eve can be out ranged. The only thing that works even in that example and the one the crowfall devs have said they would use are: timers and invulnerability

The only reason people shot your guns at all in eve was out of boredom and to make you rep them all. They do nothing defensibly, The only thing the POS guns do are shoot down a lone noob that flys too close. 

I did at least 1000 POS shoots in my tenure in eve and I can say with 100% certainty that the guns did nothing at all ever. Most times we ignored them to kill the tower so we could scoop them once the tower dropped.... Free guns to sell to the next sucker.