Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thoughts On Mount-Summoning Figurines

If it can be lost than people will never use it, specifically if it is exclusive and can be lost, people would rather keep it forever rather than use it.

Beyond that, it doesn't really address the issue faced with Riders wanting to enjoy mounted combat where Centaurs will not have the option to lose their cavalry status...

The horses are a great reward, but the way their being delivered and planned should be rethought.

Centaurs' advantages (always acting as a 'mounted' character) should be balanced through other means. A much higher cost at character creation (and thus less points to spend on advantage/disadvantage traits) is one way. There are others.

IMO:

Don't allow magical "figurines" to spawn and despawn the mounts.  Just give the ability to use these as mount-skins players can use on mounts acquired via in-game means.  This way, mounts can still be killed or stolen, but the players don't lose their exclusive rewards.  Make them mount skins, and we won't have the problem BahamutKaiser pointed out: people refusing to use them for fear of losing them.

I've just never liked despawning mounts, and have felt mounts should exist in the world.  If any "disappearing" happens, it should be at a structure - e.g. The Stable.

Edited by mourne

Every one wonders what Centaur ride but honestly Have you ever seen a Guinea pig (Guinecea) ride a horse?? what will they have for mount? a hamster wheel whit some type of food hanging on a rope in front of them?

guinea-pig-games.jpg

...obstacles do not exist to be surrendered to, but only to be broken. "***** ******"
I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion. "Alexander the Great"

Every one wonders what Centaur ride but honestly Have you ever seen a Guinea pig (Guinecea) ride a horse?? what will they have for mount? a hamster wheel whit some type of food hanging on a rope in front of them?

If Crowfall must suffer the Guinecean race, I would be willing to donate additional $$ to see the hamster wheel mount implemented. Genius fundraising move, imo.

IMO:

Don't allow magical "figurines" to spawn and despawn the mounts.  Just give the ability to use these as mount-skins players can use on mounts acquired via in-game means.  This way, mounts can still be killed or stolen, but the players don't lose their exclusive rewards.  Make them mount skins, and we won't have the problem BahamutKaiser pointed out: people refusing to use them for fear of losing them.

I've just never liked despawning mounts, and have felt mounts should exist in the world.  If any "disappearing" happens, it should be at a structure - e.g. The Stable.

Would the "problem" of despawning mounts be alleviated if the figurines were lootable (e.g., upon the player's death if they were carrying it)?

Would the "problem" of despawning mounts be alleviated if the figurines were lootable (e.g., upon the player's death if they were carrying it)?

Yes, although I would hope they'd make a casting timer to "summon" the mounts and to put them away. 

I'd prefer a "stable" structure in the game, being the only place you can despawn or spawn mounts. 

Furthermore, I think they should make these mount-rewards skins to be reuseable on mounts acquired in-game.

Edited by mourne

The Guinecean Rodent Ball of Doom should also be a physics enabled object so that other races may punt any overly confident furry rats that fail to dismount timely.

Or use them in a trebuchet!

...obstacles do not exist to be surrendered to, but only to be broken. "***** ******"
I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion. "Alexander the Great"

I have a small bit of disappointment for the loss of tactical opportunities.

Assumptions on figurines:

- Figurines are unlimited in use

- Figurines are not subject to dropping as loot (if they are even an inventory-slot type of item)

- Figurine mounts will magically disappear when a player dismounts or is dismounted. That is, they can't be killed ("spirit" mounts)

- Figurine mounts will have small or non-existent cooldown on use

Additional assumptions:

- KS will hit the next stretch goal, therefore caravans + mounts (non-KS figurine ones) will be in game

Part of the point of mounts & caravans is the additional strategic risk/reward choices and tactical differences allowed by those additions to the base game. Being able to kill a caravan's animals and thus disrupt the transport of their resources is part of that. The same would apply to the bonuses granted by characters utilizing mounts in combat. Mounts should be an asset and advantage to those who can acquire and maintain them. That advantage should be able to be negated, and it should cost some effort to re-acquire a mount. For old-school UO players, think of taming a horse and how much more mobile it made you vs players on foot. Killing someone's horse, while not a ridiculously big setback, at least made them temporarily disadvantaged and forced them to expend effort to get it back.

Easy fixes, which may already be in place...

- Figurine mounts can't be used outside the EK. But, this begs the question of how they would impact EK vs EK challenge fights as proposed.

- Figurine mounts can't be killed ala regular mounts, but suffer a substantial "cooldown" period before being able to be summoned again

- There is no difference between figurine mounts and regular mounts currently planned (other than style/looks). This would make me sad.

Your thoughts?

/agree

I role play a wordsmith.

if you have 3 characters... will they each be able to use the figurine mount?? 

or will each character have to carry their own figurine?? (meaning backers will have to choose one toon to use the mount)

here's a theory:

your EK can have a stable. your actual mount is in that stable.

They said that you will be able tot ravel between your EK and campaign freely.

So you have to care for your mount in the EK to be able to summon it in the campaign.

in the campaign the mount appears in an ethereal form, similar to UO:

etherealmounts.jpg

These ethereal forms can be killed/dispelled just like any other mount.

Instead of having to buy a new mount from a stable, you can refresh charges on your statue.

or something like that, just spitballin here

Hadn't thought about this before, but the thought of infinite summon mounts that can't die is counter intuitive to the rest of the game design. This is concerning.

I like the idea I quoted here this could be a decent solution to those problems, if expanded on a bit. Mounts like everything should be a resource and should incur risk of loss upon use in a campaign.

Edited by Joziah09

Personally  I was hoping that mounts were going to be treated as physical creatures/npc's within the worlds and not something you just "summoned" out of thin air or your backpack.

Rather you get a mount and it exists, period. You keep it at your house (if you have one) or you can store it at a stable in one of the towns.

Mounts should be killable.

Mounts could be tamed/breed by tamers/creature handlers, making them killable would make this viable and provide a market.

They could still do this, if theiy simply made the figurines work similar to a "skin" type of system.

So you get a mount, then you use your figurine to "summon" a spirit (of whatever horse its of) and then it applies the skin over your current mount.

This allows the kickstarter rewards to be used without fear of "losing" something special but not at the cost of making them better then what other players can get and also still allowing themto make mounts killable and have them treated as actual creatures in the world.

If mounts aren't killable it's going to create a whole host of things to solve, when can you summon/desummon them? What about caravans? A whole slew of issues to work around all because of it.

If it can be lost than people will never use it, specifically if it is exclusive and can be lost, people would rather keep it forever rather than use it.

I agree, why give people mounts from KS if they can so easily lose them? Beyond that, I think this should be one of the things that differs between campaigns. Make some of the more hardcore rules include the ability to loot or kill a mount (i.e. attacking a player should immediately dismount them. If you can then kill them, maybe the hardcore campaigns should allow the mount to be lootable). But the more normal PvP campaigns should not so players don't lose the mounts. The game's basic setup right now allows for campaigns with a lot of differing playstyles and I can see a lot of players having vastly different opinions on this. There's no reason why they can't both be accommodated.