Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eonwe

Can We Have The Profanity Rule Loosened?

I personally feel there is such a thing as common decency. There are rules that polite society abides by. I understand in combat situations basically anything goes. I once served in the British Army and can cuss with the best of them. I have however evolved, went to college and earned a degree in Astrophysics and am now a High School Teacher. No insult intended but I equate bad language with lack of education and poor upbringing and would not wish to be associated with such individuals nor any affiliations they may have. I do not want to see profanity in these forums. In game ... well there are other ways to deal with this!

just to share my own personal Opinion after the previous eloquent statement...

sometimes those "cuss words" are the exact expression of what you want to say....yes, sometimes it's pure laziness, or lack of potential vocabulary, but does that invalidate certain sounds as a means of expression from another due to social criticism pertaining to a version of the word?

so intercourse that defecation is somehow of greater achievement than custard that poorly made socks?

no...not in my own Opinion

that being said, there is the social contract of simple good manners...and abiding by your Host's customs is a simple ethic due for basic Respect, if nothing else

as i've said....here, the Powers that Be have decided on the delightfully whimsical Filter as their Solution...

works fer me

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

I still cant get ''custard'' and ''poorly made socks''.

Someway an american thing?

I am not really sure but I think it's just a dev thing of random, seemingly innocent words. I will tell you though, I'm not going to be able to look at socks or custard quite the same way after a few more months of this.

I am not really sure but I think it's just a dev thing of random, seemingly innocent words. I will tell you though, I'm not going to be able to look at socks or custard quite the same way after a few more months of this.

Yeah..like...we eat custard...lol.

Who dont like Creme Brulee? 

just to share my own personal Opinion after the previous eloquent statement...

sometimes those "cuss words" are the exact expression of what you want to say....yes, sometimes it's pure laziness, or lack of potential vocabulary, but does that invalidate certain sounds as a means of expression from another due to social criticism pertaining to a version of the word?

so intercourse that defecation is somehow of greater achievement than custard that poorly made socks?

no...not in my own Opinion

that being said, there is the social contract of simple good manners...and abiding by your Host's customs is a simple ethic due for basic Respect, if nothing else

as i've said....here, the Powers that Be have decided on the delightfully whimsical Filter as their Solution...

works fer me

reasonable as always. I was kinda hoping youd go all xdocvic on us.

X6RBqg7.gif

I agree with pang, if people cant have a civilized discussion without cursing, then they shouldnt really be on messageboards. I am totally fine with the filter, since it dramaticly reduces the amount of cursing we usually see in forums.

And let us not forget that it's also freaking hilarious.

I personally would prefer the forums and game to be as unmoderated as possible. Being a hardcore PvP game past and future guild rivalries/player grudges will be ripe, let the players forge this drama and play it out. Of course you will get the trolls but everything I've seen so far from this community seems to be a mature positive place where banter and most things will be taken well. Also being an Australian our terminology differs quite a bit to the rest of the world, you're all c.u.n.t.s (friends) in our eyes :D

Edited by Bionics

reasonable as always. I was kinda hoping youd go all xdocvic on us.

This made me laugh my ass off. custard. Thanks for that poorly made socks.

+1 for Cash & for Tully's filter.

I was raised as a Texan. We were taught to be polite and to carefully watch our language. Then I got into the oil field. Let's just say that a "scrub" isn't the same as a "custard pansy assed piece of poorly made socks waste of custard space poorly made socks pile". We have our own language out here.

I personally feel there is such a thing as common decency. There are rules that polite society abides by. I understand in combat situations basically anything goes. I once served in the British Army and can cuss with the best of them. I have however evolved, went to college and earned a degree in Astrophysics and am now a High School Teacher. No insult intended but I equate bad language with lack of education and poor upbringing and would not wish to be associated with such individuals nor any affiliations they may have. I do not want to see profanity in these forums. In game ... well there are other ways to deal with this!

So youre a snob? Okay.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Personally I don't mind having the filter and rules on the forums.  It helps to keep discussions, and the community as a whole, a bit more civilized.

I agree with pang, if people cant have a civilized discussion without cursing, then they shouldnt really be on messageboards. I am totally fine with the filter, since it dramaticly reduces the amount of cursing we usually see in forums.

If it were about cursing... but it's about communication.

Shıt is not a curse regardless of its use. It's in many common expression, such as "the shıt". I'm old so I thought poorly made socks was just the latest expression and it took me a long time to decipher. All because AC doesn't want people to say Crowfall is the shıt.

I had to speak about tr0lls the other day too, but that was auto censored.

If people need to "curse", as you call it, they will. You can't use an automated filter to prevent that and I hope I've proven that. All this filter does is create confusion and frustration.