Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Something that has bothered me about many an MMO is the amount of Hotbars available to you. 1-9, Shift+1-Shift+9, F1-F9, Ctrl+1-Ctrl+9, and any other combination you could think of. Having so many hotbars takes away from actually thinking about what skill you should use. Rather than everyone having everything for every situation readily available on multitudes of hotbars. I'm not saying you should limit it down to 2 or 3 skills only. Possibly 1-9 and maybe an extra 5 on the side for items such as food and drink.

Like mentioned above, wildstar's hotbar system was pretty great. You only had access to six abilities but you are able to distribute points to make certain abilities more potent than others. It meant that you really had think before making a build since your abilities are limited, making pvp very fun (in theory) since everyone had slightly different actions.

However, some people like the freedom of having hundreds of skills just waiting for the right time to be used. Game's like rift rely on the system to make pvp "more complex".

Of course you're assuming skills that need firing off, consumables that can unrealistically be drank in the middle of combat, and that you will be remotely skilled enough to need a system to manage it. I'm hoping your point is moot and we don't even need one hotbar. Let us out of this box of over-used conventions. Give us some thing new. Think bigger. Think crazier.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

MOBA games, or games like M&B and Chivalry, prove that you can have a limited number of buttons and still be tactical and fun.  I prefer games that have limited amount of abilities to be dealing with, as opposed to games with 30 different abilities needing bindings.

I'd rather the array of choices be handled via combinations.  A fighting game makes use of very few buttons for inputting the moves/abilities.  They can be strung together, based on the speeds, ranges, timings, to make combos.

Edited by mourne

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

I think a good alternative to both is give us the multitude of skill and or abilities to use, but limit them to what you can place in your hotbar/bars. Usually most MMO's give you 1 - = as an Alternative, then Shift Alt Ctrl and the combinations of such. Instead of doing that limit it to 1-= and a dedicated health and resource hotkey where those items can be held. This way we can have 30+ skills or abilities but only able to use up to 12 at a time. Yes this seems a lot, but it prevents People favoring one skill over others, and allows the builds to be Vastly more different.

I think a good alternative to both is give us the multitude of skill and or abilities to use, but limit them to what you can place in your hotbar/bars. Usually most MMO's give you 1 - = as an Alternative, then Shift Alt Ctrl and the combinations of such. Instead of doing that limit it to 1-= and a dedicated health and resource hotkey where those items can be held. This way we can have 30+ skills or abilities but only able to use up to 12 at a time. Yes this seems a lot, but it prevents People favoring one skill over others, and allows the builds to be Vastly more different.

jYeah, exactly what I mean.  Only allow a limited amount, but then you can put in endless array of different abilities/skills to fit into those slots.  I think original GW did it right, and then dumbed things down for GW2. 

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

ummm...NO LIMITS, whenever possible...

if i want to have 10 skills built up to use, or 5 or 20...it should be up to me...not the Code

i personally adored the flexibility of the SB interface...being able to tear buttons out of the Powers window and place them anywhere, being able to resize and set the transparency of all windows and move them around as i liked

more Freedom for Players, imo....always the way to go...

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

freedom is good. just don't develop a game that requires me to clutter up the screen. it breaks immersion, "realism", and it's just butt ugly. It may be useful, but I want to play crowfall, not "button manager 2015"

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

freedom is good. just don't develop a game that requires me to clutter up the screen. it breaks immersion, "realism", and it's just butt ugly. It may be useful, but I want to play crowfall, not "button manager 2015"

what i'm talking about leaves it up to YOU...

only wanna put up 6 things, or set up a hotbar...you should be able too

and folks like meh should be able to clutter and arrainge things as WE like...

Freedom for the Players > hard coded limitation... imo

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

what i'm talking about leaves it up to YOU...

only wanna put up 6 things, or set up a hotbar...you should be able too

and folks like meh should be able to clutter and arrainge things as WE like...

Freedom for the Players > hard coded limitation... imo

Excelsior!

The problem with this "choice" is it's not a real choice at all.  If a player can access 50 different skills, and you "choose" to only have 6, it's very very likely you will be at a disadvantage, thus making it a non-choice.  If the ability to have all abilities is available, not doing so is self gimping.

It all depends on the class sytem they use. If like WoW and others where we have 30+ abilities obv will need more hotbars. but if like GW2 or ESO where you only have like 6 abilites at a time then it'll be a single hotbar.

Please, please, please limit the number of abilities to something reasonable. Abilities are tools, not filler while your high damage attack cools down. I don't want to carry around a flipping toolbox: that's cumbersome and is going to get me killed in a fight. Give me a limited number of tools that are easy to learn, hard to master, and have utility beyond "104-112 physical damage to one target."

In short, abilities should en"able" you. Finger acrobatics = NOPE.

Edited by txteclipse