Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xiomar

No Health Bar

It would be interesting to have no health bars on players and NPCs/Monsters in the Dregs (and maybe the Shadow).  This level of uncertainty would lend itself to some really interesting game play.

I can just picture coming back to town half dead when I see an assassin out of the corner of my eye.  Knowing that one backstab would be fatal I decide to charge her.  The bluff works, and she jumps into the shadows cowering in fear as I gallop into town.

Well you can't be half dead and still look fresh in your suits at the same time. If they don't provide health bars, they will probably add effects like bloodstain or woulds on your body to make it obvious to other players.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

As we lose health, our body starts to hunch over, our movement is reduced... we eventually get a limp in our step... followed by dragging a foot.... low HP players are unable to combat... so once you get them down to 25% HP.... time for a finishing move!

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

As we lose health, our body starts to hunch over, our movement is reduced... we eventually get a limp in our step... followed by dragging a foot.... low HP players are unable to combat... so once you get them down to 25% HP.... time for a finishing move!

Yeah man I'd like that. That's a way more accepted idea.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

I really like this idea but I would make certain classes/races less affected by lower health.  Since dwarfs are living stone low health would not have much affect on them.  

Bloodstains would be pretty sweet also.  But who's blood is staining your clothes?  Yours? or the guy you just slaughtered.  

Perhaps, link stamina/mana (if they're implmented) recovery to your HP %.  The lower your HP is, the slower your stamina/mana recovers.  This may be a better mechanic than the whole out-of-combat system most other MMOs use.  It's more realistic as well.  When you're injured, it affects everything. Players should be running around at full speed with 10% HP.

Another perspective, is World of Tanks, as your tank consumes hits, it negatively affects the performance of the tank (slower... turning, moving, combat... reduced LoS.. etc.).

Although, it would be kind of sad to see a herd of Centaurs limping away from the front line toward the support healers in the back.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

would be way more exciting than a hp bar going up or down I think.And then the thrill of attempting to finish off the target  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4svq2YLvV4&t=576

Winner!! B)

Well you can't be half dead and still look fresh in your suits at the same time. If they don't provide health bars, they will probably add effects like bloodstain or woulds on your body to make it obvious to other players.

What, no health bar? So we're reduced to console shooter style BLOODY SCREEN SO REAL effects and guesstimate-esque animation effects?

No way.

Edited by Psyentific

Hardcore gamer & tabletop enthusiast. Enjoys roleplaying, pretending to be stupid, and one-sided fun.

Goodposting 101: How to Keep the Forums Clean

ummm...how much does the Code and animations cost versus a simple health bar?

time and money, folks....why fix something if it ain't broke coupled with justifying the expense...eh?

could just be me...

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

ummm...how much does the Code and animations cost versus a simple health bar?

time and money, folks....why fix something if it ain't broke coupled with justifying the expense...eh?

could just be me...

you are just realistic Doc

some people want the game to be a life simulation, IMO that stuff is just fluff and a $ sink

In some mmo's i've always been checking healthbars as healer,and it often felt like I wasn't participating in the actual game..Not really enjoying the game for what it had to offer.

Its a question about immersion during combat I think;if you need to pay attention to th UI too much you are not really enjoying the moment.So imo healthbars are no epic solution,cheap yes.
Feared as much about the cost issue when it comes to translating the stages healthy/wounded/afflicted/down/dying/defeated to a solely visual language on the character.Although I believe it would intesify the thrill of combat.
It would make the experience more awesome,just like how we'd be immersed ,being able to destroy wall,blow holes in them,have that certain impact on things...

If there would be avatars for our character it could be done cheaper by applying all the aforementioned stages to the avatar.(though would it still be as exciting?) 
Thinking back about the glory days of Might and Magic here

mm7-bs1.jpg
Edited by Tipsy

well...i understand not wanting to have to look at the Interface constantly...

but if the healthbar is displayed over the Target's head, as in my suggestion...then you can see it in the Environment

it's been clearly stated that there will be no "Healer's" in the traditional Trinity sense, so no one is going to be glued to their Parties' screen...unless they want to

we'll see how CF is going to handle it, then we will know more, eh?

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Not knowing your vitals would be a challenge especially in dangerous situations... I would being to laugh in most situations when a player decides to jump from an area not knowing how much health he has.... it would be a show just watching players be uncertain about situations that might damage them..... sort of like a second Do-do bird....

indeed,how to implement the healthbar is something worth thinking about..As long as the healthbar is not in your face all the time its good i think.

Personally I'd prefer a very empty/clean UI,but on the other side a very complex character health system influenced externally (not just by combat)

I would have a HB at the feet of the player like edging of its hitbox that way u appease the health watchers but one major key to this is that there is no healer classes they have said as much as no combat healers.

And even though a character that's animated and simulates his health would be amazing its impractical and difficult almost needlessly so. It would be amazing but its just far to much effort for almost no reward IMO.

Hey just Shout Bremmen and he will, Rise and Destroy the people you wish decimated :o

Not knowing your vitals would be a challenge especially in dangerous situations... I would being to laugh in most situations when a player decides to jump from an area not knowing how much health he has.... it would be a show just watching players be uncertain about situations that might damage them..... sort of like a second Do-do bird....

In might and magic 7 (the pic above) there was a skill you could train 'identify monster' i think normal/expert/master grandmaster

The higher you got,the more information was displayed about monsters you encountered..

This could be translated to insight in anatomy for each of the archetypes.

Or perhaps the healthbar would only be visible at certain times like when the enemy gets wounded,is near death,..

Edited by Tipsy

If anything just allow a clear cut UI customization system... makes things easier so players can change the HUD based on their preference. But have certain elements be limited depending on the campaign type... such as if you are in the Dregs.... you don't get any HUD at all.