Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xiomar

No Health Bar

I honestly don't like the idea of health bars because it just ruins the touch. It makes me feel like one of those anime characters where I can get punched through a wall with only a few scratches. But since it's PvP I guess it really is unavoidable that having health makes a battle more durable so players can enjoy the fight for longer duration without having to die and respawn in a matter of seconds.

From the stats of archetypes, health in this case is most likely going to be "spirit" I guess maybe if you don't like health bar make a person's health look like an aura around the person and it changes colors as the person is taking more blows. This makes it easier for healer and support class to better visualize the battlefield instead of having to look at how much HP is left. A color code in my opinion would be easier. Spirit or HP should still be available on the player's own screen since you need to know when you will die.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

People often connect crows to death

Perhaps  a crow could arrive on a twig at right side of the screen when your character gets wounded.

If a character has 25% health left ,the eye of the crow starts to glow,the glowing gaze intensifying as you drop lower and lower in health

red_crow_art.jpg

Then when you are defeated,the crow shall overwhelm you

got_crow_1.jpg?itok=LJ4dy_km

Edited by Tipsy

People often connect crows to death

Perhaps  a crow could arrive on a twig at right side of the screen when your character gets wounded.

If a character has 25% health left ,the eye of the crow starts to glow,the glowing gaze intensifying as you drop lower and lower in health

red_crow_art.jpg

Then when you are defeated,the crow shall overwhelm you

got_crow_1.jpg?itok=LJ4dy_km

It depends on your point of view. In Greek Mythology, crow is the associate animal of Apollo which is the God of Messenger and brings good luck.

I think the raven you are talking about is the one that are associated with bad witches LOL

Ravens are generally depicted as wise animals.

Or perhaps because they are scavengers and thats why we associated them with death.

Forum_Signature.png

I remember some older games that did this.

Basically instead of simply having a health bar your actual character model reflected your health.

You'd get small cuts at first, then large gaping cuts on your body, then a limp, etc when you were really hurt.

I'd like to see that over health bars.

This really depends on the reality level the developers are willing to bring out of Crowfall. So far, the graphics are probably not the best I've seen (maybe because it's pre-alpha) so it would be hard to reflect cuts and limps.

Forum_Signature.png

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Crow_vs_Raven

Or perhaps because they are scavengers and thats why we associated them with death.

on the other hand if they would want to eat us they'd be cannibals since we are crows"

oh let there be fatalityyyyy!!!! loose limpies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4&t=86

Edited by Tipsy

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Crow_vs_Raven

on the other hand if they would want to eat us they'd be cannibals since we are crows"

oh let there be fatalityyyyy!!!! loose limpies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4&t=86

I would like the idea that after we die, in the respawn scene, the screen will turn greyish and you see crows cover your corpse and then you are teleported back to the respawn point.

Forum_Signature.png

then you'd respawn as if you moved with a flock of crows

fc64bc2c7180739344bff9dc5237d9cb.jpg

The visualization of health is something to think about still

Edited by Tipsy

then you'd respawn as if you moved with a flock of crows

fc64bc2c7180739344bff9dc5237d9cb.jpg

Yeah something like that. But I've yet to seen something like this before. All they ever had was a dramatic downfall scene and then poof you spirit teleported like the one in Log Horizon.

Forum_Signature.png

If anything, perhaps ACE can test a Dregs ruleset that disabled player bars.

Edited by Nyt

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

That would be interesting,

so you wouldn't be able to see your own bars either?

some thoughts;

stages of health good->bad:

healthy

wounded 

unconscious(depending on endurance you can have a certain amount of hp below 0 and as long as you are unconscious allies can revive you on the spot)

Dead(have to respawn)

Character status can be influenced by combat and environmental interaction

Afraid

Insane ( friendly fire )

diseased

sleepy

hungry

faint

Poisoned

Cripple

perhaps the side from which you attack can have an impact?flanking for example

Each race could have weak points

Example centaur:hind legs

Edited by Tipsy

ummm...how much does the Code and animations cost versus a simple health bar?

time and money, folks....why fix something if it ain't broke coupled with justifying the expense...eh?

could just be me...

Because there's a bunch of people who think that EVERYTHING in Crowfall just HAS to be something new and/or different.

Silly people. They don't even think about how it's gonna affect gameplay or development time, money, etc.

Edited by macavity

7ug90hM.png

I think it all boils down to risk vs reward.  I often sit in the shadows watching my target's health bar.  As soon as he is dangerously low I just shoot them in the head and then loot all his stuff.    There is very little risk for a huge reward ( and it's boring). 

Without a health bar over a target you don't know the extent of his wounds.  You can try and snipe him but you have no way of knowing how much damage you did until he gets close. Or you can try and sneak up on him to find out how wounded he is. This increases the risk.

You might also need to remove the ability to know how much damage an attack did to the target, since this could be used to guess how much life is left.  

Again this is only for the Dregs the care bears will be safe.

Because there's a bunch of people who think that EVERYTHING in Crowfall just HAS to be something new and/or different.

Silly people. They don't even think about how it's gonna affect gameplay or development time, money, etc.

This is a suggestion box.  Some of these ideas may never see the light of day, and others ideas might not get implemented for years.  When you are brainstorming you don't think about budgets and burndown charts.  The point is to just share your ideas.

Edited by xiomar

You might also need to remove the ability to know how much damage an attack did to the target, since this could be used to guess how much life is left.  

Again this is only for the Dregs the care bears will be safe.

Sorry, but that sounds completely dumb. If you people have your way, we'll end up with a game where everyone is blind and deaf because everything else would be "carebear" to you guys.

If the developers listen to and follow all of these ideas that have been suggested over the last couple of months, we'll end up with a game with no healthbars, no chat, no combat log, no nameplates, no NPC's, no GCD, perma-death, every attack requiring reagents, gear falling apart after a few hits, first-person-view only, etc.

I just hope and pray that they ignore the majority of these stupid ideas so they can make what they want, which is most likely Shadowbane 2.0. Not some terrible "NO CAREBEARS ALLOWED" game that only caters to maybe 100 people because of all the "hardcore" and "realistic" implementations of things.

Edited by macavity

7ug90hM.png

I think a lot of these discussions boil down to something very simple.  Do you want a game that helps you calculate something, or do you want a game that is played off of feel and intuition. 

Some people have no natural feel for games but if they can number crunch and are fed enough information they can do ok.  Some are completely uninterested in number crunching but just have a good sense of what is going on. 

I don't think you need healthbars to figure out how the course of a fight is going if you understand and have a good feel for a game.  Some people need a ton of free information fed to them though.

Sorry, but that sounds completely dumb. If you people have your way, we'll end up with a game where everyone is blind and deaf because everything else would be "carebear" to you guys.

If the developers listen to and follow all of these ideas that have been suggested over the last couple of months, we'll end up with a game with no healthbars, no chat, no combat log, no nameplates, no NPC's, no GCD, perma-death, every attack requiring reagents, gear falling apart after a few hits, first-person-view only, etc.

I just hope and pray that they ignore the majority of these stupid ideas so they can make what they want, which is most likely Shadowbane 2.0. Not some terrible "NO CAREBEARS ALLOWED" game that only caters to maybe 100 people because of all the "hardcore" and "realistic" implementations of things.

Calm down and take a deep breath.  Why are you so emotionally invested in a game that isn't even in alpha?  This is just a discussion about a ruleset that some people might find interesting.  And that is the beauty of this game, we can try different rulesets whenever a new campaign starts.

Edited by xiomar

I remember some older games that did this.

Basically instead of simply having a health bar your actual character model reflected your health.

You'd get small cuts at first, then large gaping cuts on your body, then a limp, etc when you were really hurt.

I'd like to see that over health bars.

What if we just have a character portrait in the bottom center of the screen that gets progressively bloodier and more wounded? Pair it up with some kickin' rad music and I think we could revolutionize gaming!

Edited by Psyentific

Hardcore gamer & tabletop enthusiast. Enjoys roleplaying, pretending to be stupid, and one-sided fun.

Goodposting 101: How to Keep the Forums Clean

What if we just have a character portrait in the bottom center of the screen that gets progressively bloodier and more wounded? Pair it up with some kickin' rad music and I think we could revolutionize gaming!

Agreed!!  ;)