Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xiomar

No Health Bar

No healthbar is silly.

But, I do like the idea of limiting enemy information. A healthbar with discrete "chunks" would do that.  That is, a normal healthbar in most modern games essentially shows the exact percentage of enemy hp left.  I'd prefer if it was one that had only 5-7 "dots" of health.  So you might have 80 hp, your opponent just sees 5 dots, showing you at full health. After hitting you, you still have 5 dots- each dot represents 16 hp for you since your max is 80. This removes precise information about hp totals, but you still have a rough idea if somone is in perfect shape, hurt a little, badly wounded, near death, etc.

>low HP players are unable to combat... so once you get them down to 25% HP.... time for a finishing move!

Uh, no, if you did that than 25% hp would just be the new 0 hp, and ultimately the change would be pointless.

No healthbar is silly.

But, I do like the idea of limiting enemy information. A healthbar with discrete "chunks" would do that.  That is, a normal healthbar in most modern games essentially shows the exact percentage of enemy hp left.  I'd prefer if it was one that had only 5-7 "dots" of health.  So you might have 80 hp, your opponent just sees 5 dots, showing you at full health. After hitting you, you still have 5 dots- each dot represents 16 hp for you since your max is 80. This removes precise information about hp totals, but you still have a rough idea if somone is in perfect shape, hurt a little, badly wounded, near death, etc.

>low HP players are unable to combat... so once you get them down to 25% HP.... time for a finishing move!

Uh, no, if you did that than 25% hp would just be the new 0 hp, and ultimately the change would be pointless.

This is not a bad idea.  I would just have three sections to the health bar; perfect, wounded, dying.  All the sections would be the same size and you wouldn't know the total.  So it is possible that a tank with one section left might have more heath then a full health bar mage. 

Edited by xiomar

This is not a bad idea.  I would just have three sections to the health bar; perfect, wounded, dying.  All the sections would be the same size and you wouldn't know the total.  So it is possible that a tank with one section left might have more heath then a full health bar mage. 

Yes, thats the idea.  I think 3 chunks is too few though, 4 or 5 seems about right to me.  You don't want it to be even less "realistic" than real life, and the variance of visible damage, tiredness, exhaustion, etc is more than just "perfect, hurt, dead" in real life, so it should be in game.  

It would be global, so your healer buddy would only see the chunks too. (Yes, I know Crowfall doesn't have dedicated healers with spammable healing spells, but I think there will be some healing abilities).

These ideas of visual effects to show health are good, because in real life, we don't have health bars floating above our heads, but people can see if we're half-dead.

No healthbar is silly.

three sections to the health bar; perfect, wounded, dying.  All the sections would be the same size and you wouldn't know the total.  So it is possible that a tank with one section left might have more heath then a full health bar mage. 

agree..

I think we need to get rid of exact information too.The outcome of a battle needs to be uncertain/unpredictable in order to be exciting,keeping players at the tip of their seat.It is all about the thrill in an uncertain situation..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-5Qd_Y9JJM&t=228

Yes, thats the idea.  I think 3 chunks is too few though, 4 or 5 seems about right to me.  You don't want it to be even less "realistic" than real life, and the variance of visible damage, tiredness, exhaustion, etc is more than just "perfect, hurt, dead" in real life, so it should be in game.  

It would be global, so your healer buddy would only see the chunks too. (Yes, I know Crowfall doesn't have dedicated healers with spammable healing spells, but I think there will be some healing abilities).

I agree it should be global so allies and enemies wouldn't know your exact health.