Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arawulf

One Month Left In The Campaign & You Realize You're Teamed Up With Dum Dums

Ok, this topic is more of a theoretical since there are still plenty of things we don't know, but this scenario played out in my mind and I was curious as to what the community thought. Again, I'm not saying this is what will happen, it's just a thought.

You're in a three month Dregs campaign because you're a hardcore player - it's all or nothing! After a series of setbacks, you suddenly realize about 2/3 into the campaign that you don't have a snowball's chance in hell to win. (Yeah, yeah I know - it 'aint over 'till the lady sings and I'm a fighter until the bitter end) You begin to realize that all of those resources that you've placed into the embargo are worth nothing and you have four more weeks until your character can do another campaign. You will have nothing to bring back to your EK and you just wasted 3 months. The kicker: that's twice in a row and you now haven't been able to bring anything back in 6 months.

What do you do?

Do you keep playing and go down in flames anyway? 

Do you go to another 100% and 0% even though you have had a bad luck streak when it's over?

Do you downgrade to a lower risk campaign out of frustration when this one is over?

Quit and do something else since you feel your character is useless for a month?

What say you?

Edited by Arawulf

Well if its a guild of dums dums I'd just PK them and make them mad in ventrilo.

Edited by checkyotrack

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

If this is my second campaign that will likely end up fruitless, I think i'd opt for a lower risk campaign, just so I'm not stagnant in the water while others progress. But then again, third times the charm right? 

Just like when I keep dying in a new area when the mobs are too high for my lvl,I move to a lower lvl area.So move to a lower risk campaign it would be for me in that situation.

I have my doubts about the 100% 0 % for the dregs campaigns..Maybe that should be 98% for winners 2% for losers

or 1 item of average quality for the losers,just as booby price

Edited by Tipsy

I guess I wouldn't be playing on the Dregs if I wasn't okay with losing, and didn't think of it as a "waste" if my team didn't win. There is really no reason for me to take anything back to my EK anyway, so I wouldn't embargo anything. Maybe the reason this team of Dum Dums is losing is because they have all their resources in embargo and not enough in the actual campaign.

Edited by Mytherceria

Op clearly has never played Shadowbane. Everyone loses at some point. I have been on both sides many times. I have been in very demoralizing fights and I have dealt the demoralizings. If my guild or nation has shown it can work well, why should I just leave after a bad run? I shouldn't.  Yes, you can leave all you want, but no one likes guild hoppers. 

Not many people know this, but I was there during the DHL downfall in SB. There is not much worse than going from 42 towns to 10 in a matter of a few months. But I never left. I played with them the whole time on Thurin. 

Edited by handies

Op clearly has never played Shadowbane. Everyone loses at some point. I have been on both sides many times. I have been in very demoralizing fights and I have dealt the demoralizings. If my guild or nation has shown it can work well, why should I just leave after a bad run? I shouldn't.  Yes, you can leave all you want, but no one likes guild hoppers. 

Not many people know this, but I was there during the DHL downfall in SB. There is not much worse than going from 42 towns to 10 in a matter of a few months. But I never left. I played with them the whole time on Thurin. 

Oh, I get what you're saying. Winning and losing - it's a part of gaming. There are risks/rewards with each campaign for sure. Shadowbane however, didn't have the same import/export restrictions or dying worlds concept. In Crowfall, the player is locked into a particular world until it's completion. I personally would never quit - I'd fight to the end (as I stated in my OP). However, from what I know about gamers I'm curious as to what others thought about the scenario.

Oh, I get what you're saying. Winning and losing - it's a part of gaming. There are risks/rewards with each campaign for sure. Shadowbane however, didn't have the same import/export restrictions or dying worlds concept. In Crowfall, the player is locked into a particular world until it's completion. I personally would never quit - I'd fight to the end (as I stated in my OP). However, from what I know about gamers I'm curious as to what others thought about the scenario.

I can usually back my poorly made socks up. I welcome most fights with open arms. Knowing is half the battle. ( Yes, I went there. Lol)  Groups with good leaderships know when to pick their fights.

You can't throw all your cards on the table at once. 

I think it also depends if you play with guild/friends..In that case I wouldn't quit.But if I'm on my own and feel there is no longer a point to the campaign I might.

I eat the dum dums because they are yummy, oh we're not talking about the lollypops :)

I don't mind losing, i've lost plenty enough in my lifetime. It might be a factor in where I play in that I would enjoy being able to bring home something to show for the effort even if we lost. If I am locked into this absolute nothing to gain for it scenario which I wouldn't put myself into to begin with then I would probably play it off and on and split my time with another character somewhere else.

Do it once and see if you have the skills. If you lose big time, then stop because you can't handle the pressure of all in or nothing. If you do it again then you are just pushing your limits and you can't blame the system because you voluntarily wasted your time when they offered other campaigns. If you think that other campaigns don't earn as much, then idk be a moron and go into a fight where you know you can't win. People will probably end up leeching off strong players. 

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

A lot of ifs involved...

If for some bizarre reason I'm not with my own group, I'd definitely play it out anyway - seeking to do as much practice as possible (combat, crafting, etc) so that the time is not a complete waste... You can always take skill with you. ;)

I'd also keep careful notes on how this catastrophic loss occurred, with specifics on who and how - as to not repeat the situation.

Campaign length and reward balance is the biggest issue facing Crowfall's design. That, and the focus of whatever the EK is.

It's not even a matter of rewarding "losers," but there has to be something to drive long-term gameplay, even if moment-to-moment gameplay is amazing.

zjsbjmn.png

Come to think of it, Most of the games i've played use this same type of play model, think for example any "match-based" game, the losers typically recieve nothing for their time. (Typically being key here, i know there are exceptions) while the winners are given some token of victory. The "losers get  stuff too" is a relatively recent thing, arcades never gave us a "Best effort" screen, they gave us a "top score" screen. 

I'd play my alt character. Problem solved.

• Campaigns will need to be staggered and hopefully new ones start at least every week. The more players the more frequency.
  • Each character should be able to join or not join campaigns individually.
  • This makes extra character slots useful, but still not a requirement.
Edited by Approxy

Oh I would stay to the bitter cold end, especially if the dum dums I was with the the same group as I teamed up with the first time.   My own damn fault, can't  complain ( oh sure I could, but would it do any good? )  Would probably go back too,  I am a glutton for punishment but , hopefully I have learned a few things like maybe not to team up again with the same dum dums?   (  And I am talking about alliances not guildies ).  The guildies and I would be having a long talk.  But there are lots of lessons in losing.   As long as you learn from them.

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

If the people you're coordinating with (team, group, guild) are dummies, ask yourself if playing with dummies is worth it. If winning with unpleasant people > losing with fun dummies, guild up with the unpleasant people. If you prefer having fun with the dummies, win or lose, then continue on. If you come to the conclusion, mid-fight, that you prefer to win at all cost, then kill the dummies and group with the unpleasant people. Deciding factor, for me mind you, is fun. If I'll have more fun not logging in until the campaign is iver, then I'm not logging in. Lotta ifs, but if I'm already in the dregs and poorly made socks goes south for my chances, I'll just off every mfer I see. That's pretty fun, and is most likely what I'll do anyway.

EDIT: unpleasant people and dummies aren't exclusive, but represent two extremes to make my point that fun > all. Do what you enjoy.

Edited by caledon

In order to answer this, I feel the conditions need to be changed.  Time is going to be a factor in these import/export conditions.

I'm not sure that a three-month campaign would result in zero resources or items gained for the loser.  That is a lot of wasted time on the part of all "losers" involved.  Campaigns with a 100% win and 0% loss might last a week or two.  Something short with low commitment so your valuable time isn't wasted with zero reward.

Risk/reward is cool to talk about, but a month or three is a considerable risk to commit compared to free-for-all, or 10% chance to drop an item on death, etc.

Now, would I have a problem losing a few campaigns with zero export if they lasted a week or less?  No.

Would I downgrade after a losing streak?  Probably.  A morale boost is good.

Sorry you turned into a two-bit carebear whose feelings get hurt over forum banter.

I guess anyone who cares about taking their resources back to their EK won't really be playing in this particular ruleset, so I am not sure this is going to be much of an issue. Anyone who cares about winning in order to build up their EK will probably be playing in a less strict environment to begin with, most likely one with high import allowances and this is an entirely different type of player base. I am thinking the "hardcore" dregs rulesets will also not allow import, which means winning for "loot" might not really be the goal. Ideally I would like to see a ruleset without export at all so I won't have to deal with it. Some other type of reward might be good though, like a special guild tabard, or title, etc.

Edited by Mytherceria