Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
headlight

Eve Online

Didn't see a thread on this yet. Odd. Anyhow,

Looking to try this out. Probably as a 14 day free trial or something. Anyone got any referrals/invites/whatever that you get a bonus if I try the game or something you want to feed me?

Also, would like to either try it see how it goes, but if I do end up playing long term, I'd be interested in getting a plexus(?) so I don't have to do the monthly sub. Any guides or videos to blast through the first parts to get the ball rolling quickly so I'm not goofing around and one day find out what I did in 6 months could've been done in 10 days?

I will let you know that EVE is one of those games that sounds really fun from the stories, but then you play it, and you realize its like .5% fun and 99.5% spreadsheet simulator. If you happen to have an SA account though, goons can hook you up and teach you everything you need to know. Don't register just to join them though, that'll just end up in you wasting $10 on a forum account.

gtlLXYT.png

EVE is one of those games that you really can't enjoy as a new player.  You have no skills, you have no ships, you have no weapons.  Granted, getting those low level skills out of the way and hearing "Skill training complete" is nice, but you really can't do much early on.

SA?

@rhone Yeah, it's not something I'm looking at doing full-time. It does look like one of those games where you need 6 months to a year invested to really get going, so I figured might as well start now. Power through a week or so to get the ball rolling and come back to it. Not looking to have a Titan in 30 days or anything.

Wanted to play EVE but simply don't have the time investment.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I dont know but 90% of SB is to time consuming for me right now and that's about as bare bones of an MMO as you can get.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I played EVE once. My experience went as follows:

"Hey cool, there's a lot of lore and everything looks pretty nic-I've spent the last eight hours watching my ship fly between locations how did this happen." *uninstall*

I dunno, I guess it makes a good screensaver.

the only fun i was able to scavenge out of eve was doing recruitment scamming and jihadswarm stuff with goons

the politics are unlike any other, and reading the forums is a real treat, but the game itself is more boring than a marathon turtle. posting on the forum is more exhilarating than the combat.

as many people have said before, a chivalry-style medieval MMO based very closely on EVE could be absolutely amazing

the game is pretty boring. Wish I had my PC hooked up to the big screen for that crap. Would've rather played it from a couch instead of a desk.

I think they started doing an extended 30 day trial http://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/eve-online-news/30-day-trials-now-available/

Here's a comprehensive list of starter poorly made socks: http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/qsa2j/newb_here_need_a_guide_or_something_to_start_me/c402d46

I think there's a corp ingame called EvE University, they'll take you in, teach you the basics, etc.  

Thanks for the links. Fawne sent me a 30 day trial invite. Got started last night.

If you do end up subbing from him make sure to steal some of his money he gets from selling the PLEX. :P It'll be a really helpful startup

How does it become a time sink other then queueing skills? Getting enough isk to get a Titan?

Running a Corp, mining, fighting, taking hours to move anywhere. Hours and hours can pass where nothing interesting happens. I used to play it in a window while writing my dissertation.