Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nazdar

Multiple Alts In A Single Campaign

I play games to enjoy myself and relax. Dealing with the hassle of multiple accounts to save a few dollars when the developers actually deserve them is not worth my time.

$180 a year is more than a few dollars. I assume some kind of dev attention will be paid to this eventually, very few games make multiboxing financially advantageous.

David Sirlin's Balancing Multiplayer Games should be mandatory reading for all gamers.

$180 a year is more than a few dollars. I assume some kind of dev attention will be paid to this eventually, very few games make multiboxing financially advantageous.

It may not be able to be multi boxed.  Have to wait and see final product.  Certain game feature are needed to pull off a successful multi box.  As a bare minimum though, I can play 2 accounts.  I have multiple computers.  I may be guarding something on one computer and actively fighting on another. 

Edited by nakawe

I don't think it should be allowed, If you have some1 with 6Alts and he knows hes main is winning the campaign he will stock up hes alts with resources to export them back to the EK

...obstacles do not exist to be surrendered to, but only to be broken. "***** ******"
I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion. "Alexander the Great"

If playing multiple accounts will be somehow advantageous (i. e., in Eve, I might have kamikaze scout on cheap ship to check route through dangerous space to prevent main pilot from being ambushed), people will buy second accounts, and it's nothing can be done about that. You can't distinguish, if I run second account myself on the computer near me, or it's my family member playing. Second case is 100% legit.

I only hope, that game is designed so that you don't have to multi-box. It bothered me in Eve.

I don't think it should be allowed, If you have some1 with 6Alts and he knows hes main is winning the campaign he will stock up hes alts with resources to export them back to the EK

Trophies are exported by percentage, no point to split them between characters, you'll still get your 100/50/25/whatever percent of trophies.

Would not matter if you did this on 1 char or 6.  The spoils are shared account wide.  Everything I put into the lock box in the campaign is account wide.  Now if you use 2 accounts yes, this would work, BUT, if I was going to spend time on another account, I could just use my time to bump my stash on main account.  Whatever the percent, 75%, of 1000 is still 750, regardless if split between 2 accounts or 1 account.

The value comes in being able to join different campaigns on different chars on the same account.

Edited by nakawe

I think many of you are over-thinking this. Or under-thinking it :)

In God's Reach, there are 3 factions. A player could conceivable have 3 characters, either on one account or multiple accounts, and have them all join the same campaign so they have a character in each faction, ensuring that one of their characters will win. But God's Reach gives the least valuable rewards. That might be a good way to farm lower tier resources, but it won't get that player the best stuff.

In The Infected, there are 12 factions. I don't see any players having 12 characters all in the same campaign and all in different factions. Possible I suppose, but unlikely, and probably not worth the effort given the lack of rare resources.

In The Shadow, it's guild vs guild. How many guilds will be in a single campaign? How many alts will a player have in those other guilds? The logistics make it unworkable, because they would have to create all the characters first, join a bunch of guilds, and the hope that all of those guilds end up in the same campaign. 

In the Dregs, we don't know what the win conditions will be, but I would guess that if someone is splitting their time between multiple characters, that just means they are less likely to win on any of them.

All of the other concerns are minor IMO. If someone wants to log into another character to defend a POI after dying on his main, that's fine. I'll be busy looting his corpse anyway.

They could also make Import/Export rules tied to the account instead of the character, so even if someone takes 6 alts into a Dying World they're not taking six times the resources out. 

I think many of you are over-thinking this. Or under-thinking it :)

In God's Reach, there are 3 factions. A player could conceivable have 3 characters, either on one account or multiple accounts, and have them all join the same campaign so they have a character in each faction, ensuring that one of their characters will win. But God's Reach gives the least valuable rewards. That might be a good way to farm lower tier resources, but it won't get that player the best stuff.

In The Infected, there are 12 factions. I don't see any players having 12 characters all in the same campaign and all in different factions. Possible I suppose, but unlikely, and probably not worth the effort given the lack of rare resources.

In The Shadow, it's guild vs guild. How many guilds will be in a single campaign? How many alts will a player have in those other guilds? The logistics make it unworkable, because they would have to create all the characters first, join a bunch of guilds, and the hope that all of those guilds end up in the same campaign. 

In the Dregs, we don't know what the win conditions will be, but I would guess that if someone is splitting their time between multiple characters, that just means they are less likely to win on any of them.

All of the other concerns are minor IMO. If someone wants to log into another character to defend a POI after dying on his main, that's fine. I'll be busy looting his corpse anyway.

The biggest value I see is having multiple accounts.  I can bring support chars to the same campaign.    We have to remember, the factions are not predetermined by us, I believe it is based on random chance when you join, based on population of each faction.  personally I am not a fan of the faction play, But I am sure, some random players who are loosely affiliated with a guild may find them of some value (ie, casual gamers).

They could also make Import/Export rules tied to the account instead of the character, so even if someone takes 6 alts into a Dying World they're not taking six times the resources out. 

This is already their plan, I read it somewhere.

We have to remember, the factions are not predetermined by us, I believe it is based on random chance when you join, based on population of each faction.  

Oh so I won't be able to always side with the octopus? :(

[import/export rules locked to the account] is already their plan, I read it somewhere.

Oh, well, excellent. That pretty much solves the biggest issue with alts in my opinion. 

Oh so I won't be able to always side with the octopus? :(

No you will not always be able to join the KoS side.  But, that is why we most likely will stick to the guild world and dregs.  I am going to need muptiple commanders in the guild for each type of campaign.  Man just thinking about the possibilities for this game gets my blood pumping.  This game will not just be about logging in and griefing a few people.  It will have deceit, strategy, tears and of course power and control.  Then the campaign is over and you can do it all over again and learn from you past mistakes.

We have to remember, the factions are not predetermined by us, I believe it is based on random chance when you join, based on population of each faction.  

Where did you read that? Because it is my understanding that faction is based on your choice of god. There are 4 gods for order, 4 for balance and 4 for chaos. Perhaps you can change your god at any time (outside a campaign I would assume), but I'm reasonably certain that your choice of god determines your faction.

Where did you read that? Because it is my understanding that faction is based on your choice of god. There are 4 gods for order, 4 for balance and 4 for chaos. Perhaps you can change your god at any time (outside a campaign I would assume), but I'm reasonably certain that your choice of god determines your faction.

Looking, can't remember if I read it or saw on a video.  Initially, I was under the impression we could choose too.   Personally I would prefer to choose.  BUT, the balance issues of doing so would make things tough.

The way I understand this is game breaks people into factions upon entering.

"The TEAM RULES determine how the players are divided up, on entry to the game. Faction based Campaigns divide players into three group (Order, Balance and Chaos). God-War based Campaigns divide players up into 12 teams, one for each of the Elder Gods. Guild-based Campaigns allow players to self-organize into groups."

http://crowfall.com/#/faq/54e9503393fc8d634e4d690d

Edited by nakawe

Oh, well, excellent. That pretty much solves the biggest issue with alts in my opinion. 

Yep, problem solved! Because it won't occur to anyone to simply buy a second account to get around that restriction.

Three basic accounts are already a better deal than a single VIP account if you're going to sub for more than 6 months. Any kind of account-based restrictions will just tilt the scale even more away from VIP.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Yep, problem solved! Because it won't occur to anyone to simply buy a second account to get around that restriction.

Three basic accounts are already a better deal than a single VIP account if you're going to sub for more than 6 months. Any kind of account-based restrictions will just tilt the scale even more away from VIP.

What does buying a second account have to do with whether or not alts on the same account can be involved in the same Campaign? 

Again, I am incredibly skeptical of claims that the average player is going to go through the hassle of buying and maintaining multiple accounts in order to achieve some 'greater' value. Such claims are very unconvincing to me. 

Which, again, still has nothing to do with whether or not alts can participate in the same campaign.

So, yes, single account export pretty much solves the biggest problem I had with alts. 

I think you underestimate the degree to which the "average" player is willing to chase advantage. Certainly there will be some players who don't bother, but if spending $34 one time means that I can double my export capability from every campaign I play, there will be a lot of people who pony up that dough.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I think you underestimate the degree to which the "average" player is willing to chase advantage. Certainly there will be some players who don't bother, but if spending $34 one time means that I can double my export capability from every campaign I play, there will be a lot of people who pony up that dough.

You're assuming facts not in evidence.

You're assuming a substantial portion of players will be dedicated enough to the game to buy a second account at a retail price of $50 (the average player will not be a Kickstarter backer, but someone who joins the game at launch or well after). There is no data to indicate this will be the case. In fact, the gaming industry has been training players for decades to buy a single copy of a game and nothing more. The number of people who operate multiple accounts are most likely limited to a subset of a subset, since very few games actually offer any substantial advantage to running multiple accounts simultaneously and most gamers do not dedicate the bulk of their free time to a single title (most likely a necessary requirement when choosing to buy a secondary account).

You're assuming you can double your export capability, but this is unlikely to be as simplistic a scenario as you describe. Yes, you could export more, but not to the same Eternal Kingdom or the same characters. Plus, doubling your export capacity would require playing twice as much as advantageously as possible - a situation relying on a substantial amount of free time and considerable understanding of the given political dynamics of a given Campaign. Given we know very little about the exact details of the Export mechanic, the Campaign Rulesets, or the Summoning Circles necessary for export, this claim seems an incredible one.

You're assuming the benefits of VIP membership will be limited to skill training and confer no other benefits worthwhile to the player base. Again, we don't know the full details of VIP membership, and it is most likely that ACE does not know the full details either. It is in their vested interest to ensure that the VIP membership is worth the money, so it seems highly likely they will design the VIP membership to be more attractive than the purchase of a second account.

Furthermore, the ACE developers have stated that they want a mechanic similar to EVE Plex for Crowfall. If this comes to fruition, it will likely offer a much better alternative to players who wish to use the benefits of VIP membership as it relates to skill progression without the need for purchasing a second account.

I would also like to reiterate that I am not claiming no players will buy a second account. Some certainly will, but claiming that a substantial enough portion of the playerbase will purchase a second account to impact ACE's bottom line is, in my view, entirely without basis. 

Should this unlikely scenario come to pass, it would be very easy for ACE to rectify the situation with changes to VIP membership in order to incentivize subscription adoption. There is no need for them to worry about a bridge they may not ever have to cross after launch when they haven't enough begun the Alpha testing.