Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

P101/W101 Player Stigma

elemutation

Something that has come up on several occasions, and it is something that I refer to as the P101/W101 stigma, or the KI stigma. Before I go on, this is not a Shadowbane vs. KI thread, and I have no ill will towards Shadowbane players, even though I have never played the game. It was unfortunately something I missed out on, and this thread has no negativity directed towards SB players. Now that that's over, what I'm referencing is how many players view us KI vets as sheltered gamers. I can see where this viewpoint originates, the child friendly environment, although others are forgetting something about us. We've been playing these games for a considerably long time, and many of us have one to several maxed out players, which takes a good deal of time, strategy and dedication. Not to mention PvP, which is a conundrum to master in it's own right. We may be playing kid friendly games, but we are no lightweights. Another thing, is that we have been playing these games for quite some time, and, while I cannot speak for others, I personally have become invested and versed in other MMORPGs of different playstyles, such as Elsword, SWTOR, WoW, etc. We have not remained our level ten child selves over the past six years, and a majority of us are quite experienced. Also, a majority of us became aware of Crowfall from the central fansites, which have quite a dedicated and mature community, which is fully aware that gaming does not exist in our own small bubble. My major point is that, although we may come from games that seem childish, we are not inexperienced children, and we are capable of keeping up with other players out there. Just remember that the next time you see a KI vet, view them as an equal, and not an underling.

Remember kids, a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet!

Hi, as a Darkfall player (full loot pvp, FPS combat MMORPG), I don't view anyone as anything less. At the end of the day, players can play whatever they like, and still have fun.

With that being said, I can totally see why some others may feel so inclined to pick on the non DF/SB guys. I think it is dumb, and childish, but they basically just don't want you guys to influence the devs decisions, because they are afraid it might become too carebear. DF and SB players want full loot PvP (or semi loot PvP), and open world PvP. Other players may not, and that is what ticks them off. They are afraid of crowfall being, or becoming a themepark, which a lot of PvPers, like myself, do not like.

Please remember that I do not share these views, and that I am simply explaining the reasons for the behavior.

I am sure as more players find the forum, and as it grows, the sound of elitist PvPers will dwindle down a little bit. It will always be there, sadly, but I am sure the mods, and the rest of the community can even in it.

Edited by rs_navlaan

EOWWuhQ.png 

Hi, as a Darkfall player (full loot pvp, FPS combat MMORPG), I don't view anyone as anything less. At the end of the day, players can play whatever they like, and still have fun.

With that being said, I can totally see why some others may feel so inclined to pick on the non DF/SB guys. I think it is dumb, and childish, but they basically just don't want you guys to influence the devs decisions, because they are afraid it might become too carebear. DF and SB players want full loot PvP (or semi loot PvP), and open world PvP. Other players may not, and that is what ticks them off. They are afraid of crowfall being, or becoming a themepark, which a lot of PvPers, like myself, do not like.

Please remember that I do not share these views, and that I am simply explaining the reasons for the behavior.

I am sure as more players find the forum, and as it grows, the sound of elitist PvPers will dwindle down a little bit. It will always be there, sadly, but I am sure the mods, and the rest of the community can even in it.

I completely understand the SB players' concerns. Pirate players are actually on the verge of the same "Carebear" problem. It's been almost 2 years since our last story/level update, and all we've been getting since the last one is catering to newcomers and a convoluted third currency. I've actually tried to argue on KI's own boards, for most of the veterans from the main site's boards are unaware of the concept of negative reinforcement, and take every unwanted addition with a smile and a "whatever pleases the devs pleases me!" Attitude. Luckily, I believe that with SB players hardcore PvP mentality and the central KI players' PvE and general progression mentality should create a good community, with balanced values in what should be improved in later patches, that will give the devs a good idea on how to make a fair, balanced game for both sides.

another one?

Hey, I'm all for forumbane, arguments, and general online PvP standards, but I'm just saying that we're not as inexperienced as you think. Just realize that your insulting someone aware of how these games work, instead of a spammer at level twenty. Although, if they are acting like, as we wizard players call it, "Commondwellers", who haven't realized that there is a gaming world outside of their knowledge and are being mindless asshats, then breaking them into the real gaming world is encouraged.

Hey, I'm all for forumbane, arguments, and general online PvP standards, but I'm just saying that we're not as inexperienced as you think. Just realize that your insulting someone aware of how these games work, instead of a spammer at level twenty. Although, if they are acting like, as we wizard players call it, "Commondwellers", who haven't realized that there is a gaming world outside of their knowledge and are being mindless asshats, then breaking them into the real gaming world is encouraged.

Deleted

Edited by zoopz

another one?

I can't help but agree with ... this.

I understand what you're trying to do here and somewhat applaud you for it, but the more the wound is picked the less quickly it heals. There are threadnaughts already dedicated to this where your post would probably be better appreciated, and that you've chosen to make yourself stand out from them only really perpetuates the stigma that 101 players are craven for attention and don't know when to let a topic go.

I'm not dissuading conflict resolution (as much as can be had in this environment anyway) but encourage posters of all creeds to think carefully about what they're writing, where they're writing it, and if it's really necessary.

I know pirates is a "kids" game but the community is absolutely horrible, trolls everywhere, braggers everywhere, some people even try to have sex on it, pirates is not a sheltered game

but they basically just don't want you guys to influence the devs decisions, because they are afraid it might become too carebear. DF and SB players want full loot PvP (or semi loot PvP), and open world PvP. Other players may not, and that is what ticks them off. 

This explains a lot. I honestly had no idea that was the problem. Gonna grab some popcorn and a BIG soda and enjoy watching this unfold.

"There's no way at all to avoid the terror that is human kind" ~Tully Ackland

:D

This explains a lot. I honestly had no idea that was the problem. Gonna grab some popcorn and a BIG soda and enjoy watching this unfold.

After seeing one of the developers say things like "this game won't be for everyone", I speculate that this game will be a more hardcore PvP game, and less of a themepark.

Secondly, your avatar fits this discussion perfectly.  :P

EOWWuhQ.png 

I know pirates is a "kids" game but the community is absolutely horrible, trolls everywhere, braggers everywhere, some people even try to have sex on it, pirates is not a sheltered game

In this context, I believe the word sheltered is not being used in the traditional sense of R rated content, and things of that nature, Maybe I am wrong, but I believe when my fellow DF players, and SB players say sheltered players they mean that other players are sheltered as in they haven't yet experienced full loot PvP, or other aspects of Hardcore PvP (perma death like Haven etc).

EOWWuhQ.png 

In this context, I believe the word sheltered is not being used in the traditional sense of R rated content, and things of that nature, Maybe I am wrong, but I believe when my fellow DF players, and SB players say sheltered players they mean that other players are sheltered as in they haven't yet experienced full loot PvP, or other aspects of Hardcore PvP (perma death like Haven etc).

That's the context I read also. The 101 games are very much "gateway" MMO's. Many of the people who started playing them were kids and non-gaming adults, and they were their first games. For some they are still the only MMO contact they've had.

I wouldn't say that's the average experience though. Most people who started on those games didn't play for more than a few years and moved on in search of other things, anyway.

Well aside from all the fun and games of general "asshattery", that's the principle behind most arguments. Shadowbane / Darkfall / Other PvP MMO vets have waited for another game that even remotely describes what they want, for a long time. Now that we have our candy, don't people even dare to try to take our candy away from us.

Edited by nehemia

In our separate communities, we're all people who sit down at our computers excited to play games, whether individually or together. That's what makes every fiber of the vast network of a gaming community, is it not? Few log into a game because they view it with great distaste and wish to have never signed up.

And who are we as the Crowfall community? Well, we're still people who sit down at our computer excited to play games. No changes there, really. As I said earlier, we're all diverse individuals with specific skills and talents not truly defined by which games we've played and which people we talk to. Everything's in the air, and while we wait to be able to catch on and get a ride, we might as well enjoy each other. **** doesn't really need to hit the fan, yet, so let's just breathe in the air before throwing it around is a mechanic. 

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."

-Nelson Mandela

After seeing one of the developers say things like "this game won't be for everyone", I speculate that this game will be a more hardcore PvP game, and less of a themepark.

Secondly, your avatar fits this discussion perfectly.  :P

I think it will be too...my hunch is that KI gamers will wind up being the scapegoats for everything in it that SB/DF players don't like.

And thank you. :)

"There's no way at all to avoid the terror that is human kind" ~Tully Ackland

:D

You are correct, that is the context I was using sheltered in. And like I said, the troll, trash-talking, and in-game sex-having players are the Commondwellers, players who don't get a subscription and just sit around the first area in the game being annoying for the sake of being annoying. When KI players refer to their community, we usually ignore these guys, and talk about those who are actually here to play the game, which is often the central boards.

Commondwellers hit up the inbox. Thanks.

Most of them are probably eleven or something. Seriously. I would suggest just playing through the first five minutes of the game to just sit in the commons and see how weird it can get there. It's actually pretty entertaining to see how sad they are.

Most of them are probably eleven or something. Seriously. I would suggest just playing through the first five minutes of the game to just sit in the commons and see how weird it can get there. It's actually pretty entertaining to see how sad they are.

Make sure you're on the Ambrose or Bartleby realms, otherwise you're just gonna be standing there with your finger up your nose.