Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
nymvincyx

GM events

These events if done well create fun and excitement...would also be great if winners were immortalized in the game somehow...item name for the character, or a statue or landmark or written into the lore...etc.

I really like the lore idea. I definitely think GM events are cool, and more games should do them.

Not that you said this anyways, but I don't think items that can never be gotten again should be given away for GM events, or overpowered items, or anything like that.

EOWWuhQ.png 

I had the two rings from one GM event. I forget their names but their stats were +12 dexerity each, and not character-bound. They were prized beyond value and passed from one trusted toon to the next.

My present and past lives: Bravebellows, Keryst Windrider, Andarkon of Gondor, Kalistane, Silphas Nosferatu and Poor Kitty.

I'm totally a fan of GM events.  I think they generate a lot of excitement!

also like the idea of never again items for the events at least something to take away for victory!

In the beginning, Asheron's Call was great about this. The events impacted the game world. The guys that first stumbled upon Frore. The solo players that stopped entire towns being obliterated by the Shadow Spires, or failed and saw them destroyed. Individuals, through luck and skill, could force the devs to rewrite where they thought they were going with the storyline. The defense of the final crystal even forced the devs to cry uncle, god-mode the crystal's destruction, and put up a giant statue to honor the defenders on that one server that held out. Never been anything like it in another MMO.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

I'm rattling around thoughts about gear and relics and the like, and GM events would be great ways to introduce Relics or Artifacts into the game world that would then become their own plot threads, items that are either in the possession of Players in the game world and could be taken and claimed (gank PvP bait) or held by Player factions and used by them and their trusted members when required (faction PvP bait). 

THE BRAIN JUICE KEEPS BUBBLING. NOW I'M DOING IT TO MYSELF.

I'm rattling around thoughts about gear and relics and the like, and GM events would be great ways to introduce Relics or Artifacts into the game world that would then become their own plot threads, items that are either in the possession of Players in the game world and could be taken and claimed (gank PvP bait) or held by Player factions and used by them and their trusted members when required (faction PvP bait). 

THE BRAIN JUICE KEEPS BUBBLING. NOW I'M DOING IT TO MYSELF.

Are you a Darkfall / UW player by chance? You kind of described relics in DF, and they are also called relics there.

EOWWuhQ.png 

Nope. Ill need to finish writing my gear manifesto for it to make much sense, but my thoughts were to have equipment, normally, to be highly disposable. Yes, there would be incremental performance differences between materials and craftsmanship, but these increases would be minimal and in most cases whatever you were wearing will be lost when you die so it inherently shouldn't have that much value. Also, normal equipment degrades with use so needs to be replaced more often. 

However, in certain places around the game world, at certain times of the day/night/week/month/year/lunar cycle you could encounter situations that might reward a unique item, one which is wholly superior to the normal items. The situations that allow these items to be obtainable would be provided in lore hints throughout the game world, either at the location of the encounter or the hints themselves may lead you to find the location. The key point being, once the encounter is completed, it is completed forever and that item is now live and living its own story in the game world. If its bearer dies, it stays on their corpse for the taking. There is more, but as i said, i'll save the major details for another post that's actually about that. 

continuing on with the GM event items, and to answer the concern about over powered items. GM items don't have to have uber stats that give a huge advantage: Who wouldn't fight for the only set of Dragon Armor, with some unique design you can't get anywhere else in the game? I would...or that sword/axe/fill in weapon type that has flame animation..or is gold...or......you get the idea.

The GM items could be cosmetic, versus stat oriented. That way you still want the item without getting an unfair advantage in the game.

GM events are the bomb, I did have GM items, because I attacked a GM all by myself and after he (at least the avatar was male) let me beat on him for a few seconds and take down his health to 9999999999999999 he one shotted me with a golden hammer animation..lol and got the GM item because I made him laugh. That made the event memorable... Our entire guild was finally successful in the event, which was an epic fight...but, I liked my item from being an overconfident tardfarmer the best...lol!