Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sweetdeal

We going to see Perma Death?

So many games are shy about this, but they want change everything, so what you think? Will we see finally a Perma Death MMORPG again?

Played Salem and other games and it was amazing! Perma Death is one of the best features in the World! Hope to see it in here!

Permadeath is a terrible idea for an MMORPG. Making a hardcore game is not the way to go anymore, unless you want to attract only a small amount of people. Unless there is no PvP. I think the idea of permadeath coupled a legacy system like SWTOR, where even if you have to start over everytime you die, you would keep some kind of experience from your previous lives. 

Idk how I feel about permadeath.  It's not every bodies cup of tea.  Having played Path of Exile for quite some time, I honestly wouldn't  enjoy losing a character I've spent a long time building, not to mention all the equipment at well.

But at the same time I do see why people enjoy it, and the tension is creates.

I think depending on how the game works, it might just be best to permadeath be an option, like permadeath servers or something.

So the people who enjoy it can, and thou's who don't aren't forced to.

Having played Path of Exile for quite some time, I honestly wouldn't  enjoy losing a character I've spent a long time building, not to mention all the equipment at well.

Perma death generally isn't for games like POE.  Those games are completely based around building your character and getting the best gear, nothing else.

Also, perma death doesn't necessarily mean that the mechanic will work in a way that any time that you die to anything you will be permanently dead.  They could make it really however they want.  You only perma die in this quest,in that situation, to players in this area, by random chance at death, or simply after 10 deaths.

I would definitely like to see a full loot or perma death game.  Anything less leads to boring meaningless pvp where no one cares if they die because nothing happens.

If there's any kind of involved leveling system (regardless of whether it's leveling actual levels, or skills, or what have you), Perma Death doesn't make a whole lot of sense: you're just encouraging your players to quit at that point.  I agree that in modern MMOs death has lost its sting, and it should have one, but forcing your player to start over isn't the way to go if you want to keep them.  Unless there's really no "leveling" involved, in which case you've basically got a FPS shooter at the core.

rSHxVEY.gif

I am in favor of stealing items from players inventory (if game has thieves) and inventory being loo table upon death. But I would prefer not to drop equipped items, and I can't see a form of perma death being viable in an mmorpg.

Perma Death is definitely not something I, nor most others, would like too see. I do agree that death needs some kind of consequences, however, I believe that losing everything you have worked for in one incident stunts progression. As Setis said, without this progression you have "an FPS shooter at the core."

"Video games foster the mindset that allows creativity to grow "  - NOLAN BUSHNELL

The thing about Permadeath that bothers me is what if you get caught up in something that you intentionally didn't want to be?

Also, what if you're at a high level (and let's say you took than more than enough time to level through it) and then take permadeath to the face?

People would loose that urge to go back into the game and try leveling back up.

Sure, some type of "fear" element should be implemented it to give the game some *ump*, but I don't think people like the fact that their character die, then people would see it as a fact that it would be more of a waste of time to try to attempt to level it back up.

No Perma Death for me.  Some type of penalty for death could be worked out Im sure.

Death Shroud, is a good example of a game mechanic that penalizes a player for a couple minutes by taking away all defensive and offensive abilities thus taking the player out of the fight for a few minutes.

In addition to equipment taking damage and losing all items in your inventory, I think SB handled death pretty well over all.

I can go either way but it has to be done correctly. So say we can have kids or relatives in game. So when we die we play as one of them and they get like 70% of everything we have done in game. Of course if this is going to be PVP focus. People are going to be dying left and right. So people are going to get a bit annoyed by that. Maybe they shouldn't even consider it.

Wow I see lot of people coming from "Mind" Hardcore Games but many not want Perma Death... so seems this Community allready get washed in warm water :)

Just hope they add Perma Death, even if some people don't like it. Perma Death is a nice Idea for a MMO, worked out well in Salem etc. (which is a MMO) and a lot other MMO's. 

So far hope it work :D

Death needs to mean something. Maybe not "lose it all", but it needs to sting.

I agree whole-heartedly here. Now, I'm coming from a perspective with no perma-death games on board, but I'm following along with others here that perma-death may not be the right kind of thing for an MMO. With that said, though, I have a good hunch that these hinted-at consequences will put that sting on character death. 

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."

-Nelson Mandela

Smooshing padawans into grime was fun. Getting hate tells from a couple hundred players, at the same time, was defintely awesome.

Not sure we can capture and harness fun like that, again.

Someone mentioned a legacy system which could play into something like perma-death. Sounds good.

Could not stand the fisher price graphical sadness of Salem but liked how they approached the subject.

Wonder if perma-death got tied into a reputation/ bounty mechanic? Make "bad"/ unwise choices ingame and get your neck on the chopping block for it would be neat. Cause and effect. Risk and reward. Factor in guilds (and their behaviours/ choices) to help make others at risk?

Die, rez, die is kinda getting old. Something different would be nice,

The thing about Permadeath that bothers me is what if you get caught up in something that you intentionally didn't want to be?

Also, what if you're at a high level (and let's say you took than more than enough time to level through it) and then take permadeath to the face?

People would loose that urge to go back into the game and try leveling back up.

Sure, some type of "fear" element should be implemented it to give the game some *ump*, but I don't think people like the fact that their character die, then people would see it as a fact that it would be more of a waste of time to try to attempt to level it back up.

This^

But especially so if we're going to have open world PvP in possibly one massive server. Players who don't have a guild to constantly support them would never feel safe to leave safe areas like towns or cities (assuming there are safe areas). Imagine you're a player who likes to do a lot of things solo, introverts do exist in games, and a group just kills you for your loot. You're probably not going to play this game for very long. Permadeath can't be an option in open world PvP with full looting, it will kill any non-hardcore community members instantly.

lopuda47ee7.jpg