Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bairloch

Ageing

I don't expect this idea to be popular, but we were encouraged to think outside the box, so I am. I briefly outlined this concept in a reply to another post, but thought I'd flesh it out some more.

Picture a game where you start out a young man/woman. Your body is full of vigor. Your strength is near its peak and your agility and dexterity are top notch. As a melee fighter, your ability to swing your weapon and wear armor is almost as good as it will ever get. As a ranged warrior, your eyesight and nimble fingers allow you to pick out your targets with ease. As a mage, the elaborate motions required to cast spells and the toll they take upon your body are easily dealt with.

There are downsides to being young. Your wisdom, worldliness, cunning are lacking. You simply don't have the experience to know better. Therefore you are more susceptible to bluffs, your mental resistances are lower and your pool of knowledge is limited.

As time goes by you grow into your chosen profession. Not only do your physical attributes improve, but your mental as well. You are gaining strength and wisdom, muscle memory and cunning, honing your reflexes and expanding your mind. Warrior, archer or mage, you are at your peak. Balancing the mind and body, performing like a finely tuned instrument, nothing stands in your way.

Eventually though, your body begins to fail you. You can't quite take the pounding in battle you used to. The armor is heavy. Your joints start to ache and your fingers feel thick. Your eyes start to go and the energies required for casting spells don't flow so easily through your veins as they once did.

But! You have never been wiser, and growing more so by the day! Your wealth of experience leads to cunning, making battle a game of strategy. Bluff, feint and counter-attack. Your knowledge of the field gives you a better chance of picking the right ambush location and taking better advantage of cover that you spurned as a younger man. Your ever expanding mind can now encompass spells of vast power that might take more time to cast, but can accomplish more than you ever could as an impatient girl.

Eventually, your body gives out. You die. Hopefully you've left a legacy and your children or a promising apprentice or vassal can step into your metal-encased or pointy shoes. Starting the cycle anew.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

I do think this Idea is a cool idea, but would be hard to implement in a popular manor. Not everyone can devote endless amounts of hours to playing a character till they get old, and very few casual gamers would like their characters to 'expire'

I don't expect this idea to be popular, but we were encouraged to think outside the box, so I am. I briefly outlined this concept in a reply to another post, but thought I'd flesh it out some more.

Picture a game where you start out a young man/woman. Your body is full of vigor. Your strength is near its peak and your agility and dexterity are top notch. As a melee fighter, your ability to swing your weapon and wear armor is almost as good as it will ever get. As a ranged warrior, your eyesight and nimble fingers allow you to pick out your targets with ease. As a mage, the elaborate motions required to cast spells and the toll they take upon your body are easily dealt with.

There are downsides to being young. Your wisdom, worldliness, cunning are lacking. You simply don't have the experience to know better. Therefore you are more susceptible to bluffs, your mental resistances are lower and your pool of knowledge is limited.

As time goes by you grow into your chosen profession. Not only do your physical attributes improve, but your mental as well. You are gaining strength and wisdom, muscle memory and cunning, honing your reflexes and expanding your mind. Warrior, archer or mage, you are at your peak. Balancing the mind and body, performing like a finely tuned instrument, nothing stands in your way.

Eventually though, your body begins to fail you. You can't quite take the pounding in battle you used to. The armor is heavy. Your joints start to ache and your fingers feel thick. Your eyes start to go and the energies required for casting spells don't flow so easily through your veins as they once did.

But! You have never been wiser, and growing more so by the day! Your wealth of experience leads to cunning, making battle a game of strategy. Bluff, feint and counter-attack. Your knowledge of the field gives you a better chance of picking the right ambush location and taking better advantage of cover that you spurned as a younger man. Your ever expanding mind can now encompass spells of vast power that might take more time to cast, but can accomplish more than you ever could as an impatient girl.

Eventually, your body gives out. You die. Hopefully you've left a legacy and your children or a promising apprentice or vassal can step into your metal-encased or pointy shoes. Starting the cycle anew.

The idea sounds great and would add another layer of tactic to the game, but  some people wouldn't like this; maybe instead  you select your character's age from the beginning and keep it from there? ( 

Most people, myself included, get very attached to their characters and having my character die of old age after so many countless memories with him would make me quite sad. It would make me feel like everything I did was meaningless and now gone, and because I was so attached to my former character, creating a new one wouldn't probably be conceivable to me at that point, and I'd probably stop playing. My characters are a part of myself, and I don't want them snatched away from me without I having any say in the matter whatsoever.

But maybe that's just me.

Cool idea though, and good thinking outside the box.

You know honestly it sounds awesome, exciting and very realistic to what happens in real life.

But, in real life, many players play time is also limited due to real life as well.

I personally have 2 young children, a wife and a career to tend to as well.

I would have a hard time finding it in me personally to start up anew again after the first go around with how limited play time can be as you get older with real life obligations. In my single, young wild days I would be all for this kind of game. 

I strongly believe this game won't have a permadeath or death type system like you are saying. I am by no means saying it is not a bad idea. I just believe it would severely limit their player base with real issues of retention for the long term health of the game.

Most people, myself included, get very attached to their characters and having my character die of old age after so many countless memories with him would make me quite sad. It would make me feel like everything I did was meaningless and now gone, and because I was so attached to my former character, creating a new one wouldn't probably be conceivable to me at that point, and I'd probably stop playing. My characters are a part of myself, and I don't want them snatched away from me without I having any say in the matter whatsoever.

But maybe that's just me.

Cool idea though, and good thinking outside the box.

As much as I agree with you, Kalvin, Bairloch's idea is just too interesting to let pass, in my opinion. Perhaps making this process very long (Uninformed side of me suggests a a year or two) would add some allure to it while clearing up grounds and adding further elements of interaction to the game. Respect your elders, children.

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."

-Nelson Mandela

I am cool with it if done right.

and even expanding the swtor concept of legacy

you can create a character then based on its stats and/class/how played when it gets to a certain age you can create a "heir" that takes on some of the attributes of the former.

examples

guild leaders ic etc...pass on "leadership" which is a bonus to groups, building, town maint cost

mage with high kill stats...passes on arcane ability, or handed down spells

healers pass down touch of grace, mothers touch. etc..

nothing gamebreaking...just a way to have more unique characters

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

I am completely surprised at the positive responses. I thought this would only get flamed. Nice.

For those that say it would be hard to start over, well, the devs did say this might not be your game. Don't think I don't know it might not be mine. I'm just thinking crazy.

Soultamer, yes I was thinking it would take a year or two.

Hillbilly, yes, the legacy would have to be carefully planned and tweaked. It does have the possibility to put some things back into circulation that may have been locked in one player's possession for years. Hadn't thought of that...

Edited by bairloch

You could do the aging based not on set days but on actual hours played on that character. Example in GW2 you can do /age and it will tell you how many hours you have played on that character and how many total hours you have played GW2. For me I have around 2000 hours total game time (Played multiple games been in and out of GW2) and I have 6 characters with some having high hundreds of hours and others as low as 96. So set the age limit as something like 1000 hrs before said character expires with a /age function. As you get closer to "death" you can start a new heir character that you can will things like gear and stuff to. This helps the occasional player in that they can play just 2 nights a week with say a few hours a night and it will take a long time for that character to die, but for the power gamer he/she will use up those hours much faster but he has the hours to invest in the new character.

Edited by gauis

Oh yes, the /played command. An oldie but a goodie. I always baffled everyone with my /played vs. my level...

I had actually assumed game time. Didn't realize anyone would think real-world time.

Picture a game where you start out a young man/woman. Your body is full of vigor, but you're mental as well.

I like it.

Maybe balance it out so, you can have a kid, which starts out more powerful then your first character and also gets all the items and what not?

Edited by thisismyemail

Eh, not all of it, and not right away. I do want it to be an entirely new character, but not starting from the ground floor. You deserve something for all the time you put into the previous characters, just not everything. I don't want no Walton kids or Paris Hiltons, you earn your fortune in my world.