Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DocScratch

Natural Disasters

Well, considering that the world is being destroyed very slowly, this should really be a thing..as far as i know, the way they destroy the worlds isnt just "Oh, theres a world there..POOF! GONE!" it should be verryyy slooowly destroyed

zr4aXCc.png

It will definitely be interesting to see how the darkness consumes an area with the onset of winter ending a campaign.

Something that has been brought up in the past also were win conditions potentially ending a campaign earlier than anticipated.  This could be a great segway into the introduction of a natural disaster happening in such a way that it fulfills the world destruction without having the full onset of winter/darkness creep. 

[@--(o.O)@]

Whats wrong with RNG? A little chaos spices things up, cant have things get stale super fast. Besides, when you FAIL you can blame "bad luck" or "i wasnt smart enough to be a stoneborn" for the cause. YES I WENT THERE, FORGEMASTER BURN

I do like a little unexpectiness in my games it add thats little flavor of not knowing whats going to happen next, EQ trains was one of those thing i loved about Everquest, simple fact that u can be just farming away confortable and next minute player runs past u screaming run with a horde of mobs chasing him down and now ur the one runnign aswell haha :)

Also anything that say effects cities need to be relatively easy to fix/patch up in a hurry so its only a small opportunity to get royally screwed but still do able if ur fast enough to act on the disaster. Should be patchable up to a degree by the people who own the place stright away of course but it wont be 100% for a little bit though :)

There should also be a way to fortify against these environmental effects aswell if the player chooses too, fortified walls/building or even building ontop of bed rock or somthing a solid rock instead of say sand or somthing (could add to more options to put into play where u build a city or what not???

Edited by veeshan

Veeshan Midst of UXA

I do like a little unexpectiness in my games it add thats little flavor of not knowing whats going to happen next, EQ trains was one of those thing i loved about Everquest, simple fact that u can be just farming away confortable and next minute player runs past u screaming run with a horde of mobs chasing him down and now ur the one runnign aswell haha :)

Also anything that say effects cities need to be relatively easy to fix/patch up in a hurry so its only a small opportunity to get royally screwed but still do able if ur fast enough to act on the disaster. Should be patchable up to a degree by the people who own the place stright away of course but it wont be 100% for a little bit though :)

There should also be a way to fortify against these environmental effects aswell if the player chooses too, fortified walls/building or even building ontop of bed rock or somthing a solid rock instead of say sand or somthing (could add to more options to put into play where u build a city or what not???

well there aren't much things you can do against a volcano erupting in yur vicinity,except evacuating the city.

same with tsunamis or earthquakes.

but still there are a few natural disasters that can be at least defended against.

like floods,in a voxel world we could even take preemptive measures like building dams, creating a flood-area around the riverbed and blockade the riverbed with something.

I never liked in Sim City that "oh great an earthquake just destroyed everything I built up" However, I'm a big fan of dynamic events so I could envision some form of natural disaster event that didn't occur within x radius of a player controlled fortification. 

It's one of those things I've thought about on and off since I started working on Crowfall. Still just a personal mind bubble for now, though. 

I wouldn't mind having such risk involved near my fortress aslong as there is also a reward for the risk, Next to a volcano have higher Fertility so easier to plant herbs/grow crops(if that's a possibility in the game)

...obstacles do not exist to be surrendered to, but only to be broken. "***** ******"
I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion. "Alexander the Great"

I think this is worth testing with something simple... post-release though.  Let's see just how harsh the Winter environment will be already.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

I never liked in Sim City that "oh great an earthquake just destroyed everything I built up" However, I'm a big fan of dynamic events so I could envision some form of natural disaster event that didn't occur within x radius of a player controlled fortification. 

It's one of those things I've thought about on and off since I started working on Crowfall. Still just a personal mind bubble for now, though. 

That's actually a great idea, if you set it up so it couldn't change important tactical positions of players but could change nearby environments in combat then it could be very interesting. In addition to having it not occur within a certain radius of holds you could have it so it couldn't happen ON a player. So lightning can strike on a battlefield but it's main purpose is to change the combat terrain, the same goes for earthquakes raising columns of stone and earth to change combat positioning.

Thing is, there needs to be something to start to pry the players away from the things that they have built over the months of the campaign.  Natural disasters might be just the thing.  

If all the other players on the server aren't strong enough to peel you out of your castle, congratulations! You've won the campaign.

One of the core premises of the Crowfall game design is that the primary content is player-made.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

The earthquakes could potentially balance mechanic in some campaigns. for example lets say you are aligned with chaos but right now order is totally destroying you they have become uncle bob, fortunately they have a weak moment due to an unexpected earth quake in this way your team and the neutral team have an opening to march over there and attack. But what if I'm the weak faction and I get hit with and earth quake. It's okay because low and behold the neutral faction comes to your aid again to help fight off the order faction.

The earthquakes could potentially balance mechanic in some campaigns. for example lets say you are aligned with chaos but right now order is totally destroying you they have become uncle bob, fortunately they have a weak moment due to an unexpected earth quake in this way your team and the neutral team have an opening to march over there and attack. But what if I'm the weak faction and I get hit with and earth quake. It's okay because low and behold the neutral faction comes to your aid again to help fight off the order faction.

yes exactly,i made a threat about how to prevent uncle bob,without robbing the game of its sandbox player-driven character.

i mentioned natural disaster as one factor for uncle bob to be weakened enough to beat him,as smaller nation

yes exactly,i made a threat about how to prevent uncle bob,without robbing the game of its sandbox player-driven character.

i mentioned natural disaster as one factor for uncle bob to be weakened enough to beat him,as smaller nation

The question is how do you plan to survive cooped up inside your castle for the duration of the Campaign?  You have to go outside to scavenge for resources at some point (Yes, this is going to be a thing).

There are going to be plenty of levers for leveling the playing field, we have no need to entirely rely on targeted natural disasters.  It is much more enjoyable to lose your advantage at a slower rate, rather than see a fortress that took time to build get blown to smithereens in 1, 2, 3.

Mother nature can devastate us in a variety of ways, drought and snowstorms are more subtle options for weakening the little pigs hiding inside their brick houses.  The game will blow, and it will blow, and they will die frozen inside of their brick house.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Meh, Natural disasters for some campaign modes maybe. But having your progress destroyed because of RNG is really frustrating. Especially if you are not one of the well established castles and you were barely hanging in there anyways. Suppose you're holding out against a superior force, but you are making it, barely. Then BAM. Now they can just waltz in and all strategy given unto you by your walls is rendered inert. Might as well not have built anything in the first place.

well there aren't much things you can do against a volcano erupting in yur vicinity,except evacuating the city.

same with tsunamis or earthquakes.

but still there are a few natural disasters that can be at least defended against.

like floods,in a voxel world we could even take preemptive measures like building dams, creating a flood-area around the riverbed and blockade the riverbed with something.

Volcano - Dont build next to a volcano??? Or u could turn that to an advantage and build trenches round your city to direct the flow of lava around it??? so u now get a lavan mote?

Earthquakes - Guild should always have a spare stock of resources in the city so they can quickly patch up any dmg caused by an earthquake as quick as they can to reduce the time your vunerable (it not like player can cause earthquakes so they cant time there attack to coincide with a quake.

Tsunami a little bit trickier - But you need 2 remember the world full of magic aswell seeing there magic based classes, so many have a buildable pillar or somthing in city or some form of magicaly device u can build off in the ocean a little occ coause to reduce the impacts of tsunarmis or a barrier to cause water to flow around the city and what not instead of destroyoing it, or better yet build it on a Plato of on higher piece of land having staur case down to the dock area so only the dock is in danger.

Veeshan Midst of UXA

Meh, Natural disasters for some campaign modes maybe. But having your progress destroyed because of RNG is really frustrating. Especially if you are not one of the well established castles and you were barely hanging in there anyways. Suppose you're holding out against a superior force, but you are making it, barely. Then BAM. Now they can just waltz in and all strategy given unto you by your walls is rendered inert. Might as well not have built anything in the first place.

u musat think though a natural disaster would be a slim chance of even happening anywhere in the world let along right next to your stuff, if they coded it right or what not they could even make the natural disaster have a higher chance to hit those say top 3 guilds or what not in the campaign a little more than everyone else to help equalize the playing fields for those a little behind or what not to keep the campign closer togther winning wise?

Veeshan Midst of UXA

I like the idea that no matter how powerful you think you are you still need to be prepared for the unexpected. Like the Persians when they came to Greece and had a large portion of their fleet wiped out by a storm. This is a game were the god may or may not be on your side so let the chips fall where they may, and make sure you don't build your castle in a swamp.

It can be done from the other side: generate potentially dangerous spots on the map, and let players prospect them, and then decide if it worth to build a castle near them. Maybe that spot is a good hub between resource nodes, or just in convenient high ground position.

The risk should be not high: that sleeping volcano will not awake in, say, 8 or 9 out of 10 campaigns.

Some players will forget (or didn't know) to prospect. The others will take the risk. And some will have no choice, because nearby territory is already divided.

That sounds like fun.

It can be done from the other side: generate potentially dangerous spots on the map, and let players prospect them, and then decide if it worth to build a castle near them. Maybe that spot is a good hub between resource nodes, or just in convenient high ground position.

The risk should be not high: that sleeping volcano will not awake in, say, 8 or 9 out of 10 campaigns.

Some players will forget (or didn't know) to prospect. The others will take the risk. And some will have no choice, because nearby territory is already divided.

That sounds like fun.

I agree I don't think that natural disasters should be a common occurrence but I do think they should be an aspect of the game.