Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DocScratch

Natural Disasters

The earthquakes could potentially balance mechanic in some campaigns. for example lets say you are aligned with chaos but right now order is totally destroying you they have become uncle bob, fortunately they have a weak moment due to an unexpected earth quake in this way your team and the neutral team have an opening to march over there and attack. But what if I'm the weak faction and I get hit with and earth quake. It's okay because low and behold the neutral faction comes to your aid again to help fight off the order faction.

"Balance" is not any kind of a design goal. Some characters will be weaker than others. Some guilds will be weaker than others. Some factions will be weaker than others. Instead of waiting for the devs to handicap the strong with earthquakes to give the weak a fair chance, it's up to you to figure out how to overcome your weakness, and do better in the next campaign. Every campaign starts fair- what happens after that is the players' problem.

You completely misunderstand the Uncle Bob problem. Uncle Bob isn't a problem with someone winning the game. Uncle Bob is a problem where someone has won the game but the game never ends. Some group is going to win every campaign- and maybe they become so powerful that they have no meaningful competition. That's OK! The fact that all campaigns end once there is a winner means that we won't have the problem where the map devolves into stasis under the eternal tyrrany of the dominant group. Uncle Bob cannot happen in worlds which will be destroyed within a month or three anyway.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

u musat think though a natural disaster would be a slim chance of even happening anywhere in the world let along right next to your stuff, if they coded it right or what not they could even make the natural disaster have a higher chance to hit those say top 3 guilds or what not in the campaign a little more than everyone else to help equalize the playing fields for those a little behind or what not to keep the campign closer togther winning wise?

Ok, so if they code it to target specific players, how is that fair? Or player versus player? Guilds that build a strong position on the map have earned their fortress, there will be siege engines and other game mechanics to assault said fortress, adding in a system that will intentionally target well off players is very unfair, like i said, how would you feel if you were the owner of this fortress. Fortresses are designed to allow defenders greater leverage in battle, adding natural disasters means that at any moment your fortress could just be swept away from you. It doesn't matter if they target the top three players, it just isn't a good idea.

I think that natural disasters should be completely random maybe have a higher chance for it to happen in certain area. The potential chance for natural disasters should only be influenced by the natural geography of the area and not what fortresses lie there. natural disaster should be completely unbiased of whom is winning or losing or even where people are in this world.

Edited by Sillsei

I like surprise factors that encourage frequent scouting. Whether it is npcs or natural occurrences due to hunger, it would imo be preferable that the situation on ground and even the terrain may have changed from yesterday.

Optimal routes, temporary areas of crisis.. I would even expect big environmental changes in a dying world. I hope it's not all just skin and resource numbers. Definitely a rule set that should be implemented at some point.

Edit. I agree it should be completely random and should not be allowed to get decisive, so no city destroying.

Edited by yemeth

I'm a fan of risk reward scenarios, personally. 

Example: I could imagine a scenario where a guild is working their local mine really hard, for one reason or another. This has a causality effect of possibly causing an earthquake in that area...Or it could wake a sleeping dragon deep underground that errupts out of the earth, lays waste to the mine and goes directly for the nearest fortification.

Of course I'm just using hypothetical right now because we really haven't discussed a disaster system, just explaining that I like causality more than random event. 

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Example: I could imagine a scenario where a guild is working their local mine really hard, for one reason or another. This has a causality effect of possibly causing an earthquake in that area...Or it could wake a sleeping dragon deep underground that errupts out of the earth, lays waste to the mine and goes directly for the nearest fortification.

Of course I'm just using hypothetical right now because we really haven't discussed a disaster system, just explaining that I like causality more than random event. 

thank you :D

away with the randomness

that would be really fantastic way to work in the idea of natural disasters.

I could imagine a scenario where a guild is working their local mine really hard, for one reason or another. This has a causality effect of possibly causing an earthquake in that area...Or it could wake a sleeping dragon deep underground that errupts out of the earth, lays waste to the mine and goes directly for the nearest fortification.

"Too deep we delved there, and woke the nameless fear." I'm totally down for some You Pushed It Too Far type consequences. That's a whole different conversation from random weather attacks.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Thinking about random events,I like the idea of a dying world even more.
Because normally in mmo's you complete these random"dynamic" events and 10 minutes later the same loop of events is activated again.
It's like players are thin air,aren't even there.All these very heavy Pve oriented mmo's have taken out the much needed conflict& unpredictability,for players to actually matter.

Maybe compared to other mmo's, the big difference in crowfall would be that players would be setting the first event(cause) in motion?
This way it will never be just a loop of so-called random events that are actually not "random" at all,but rather repetitive
Really repetitive events as name would suite most mmo's better.But they'll never actually call em that way :D

Thinking about the event following on the causing event ,should it have consequences for all players/factions?
Example:
One faction breaks a dam in order to flood an active enemy mine a bit further, because they have a small lead on material income.
For the ones that caused the flood,military advancement could be hindered(so by flooding this enemy mine,chances are they'll lose a potential strategic striking point against the enemey faction,as not only that mine might be flooded)
Edited by Tipsy

Sounds like it could be interesting but could get annoying very quickly. While the randomness/chaos has the potential to make it interesting but city destroying earthquakes sounds like a really awful idea. The game could become less about strategy and more about waiting for a disaster to happen and weaken the enemy. Other sorts of disasters that wouldn't leave one entirely open could be interesting though. I personally like the idea Adatum said about lightning striking during storms. That could add some realism and randomness but one would still have to form strategies to get into castles and take down enemies.

I would like to point out that hardly ever is there and earthquake that will level a city and an earthquake that splits open even a little is almost silly.

Consequences?!  Surely you jest!  I had completely forgotten of the possibility.  Here's to hoping for plenty of causality.

Please give us the ability to provoke the environment so monsters can eat our citizens and crush our homes.  I'm actually thinking of making this a more formal suggestion in the future.  Thanks for dropping by.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Do this and I can squeeze more from my wallet.  

Now if that dragon was an extremely rare creature that we could get Dragon Scales (for crafting), I'd be all over those mines!

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

Me too!

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Really the issue is the money and resources as this is a smaller game. It would be very easy to implement this system, with just thunderstorms/rainstorms, and possibly tornadoes? I think those would be the easiest to code at least.

Then, sticking with the risk vs reward idea, make it so certain zones of the map have a change, and any scout class can detect this. A large metal mine, that produces many resources, would have a high risk in the immediate area for some natural disaster, and around it would be a low chance. The safe areas, with no disasters are also the farthest from major resources/monster that drop the best loot.

This would make it beneficial to build your city in a safe area, as close to major resources as you can. Then you would want to built small local outposts for your clan near these high resources nodes. They may need to be rebuilt from time to time, but hopefully the ease of access and safety within the vicinity will allow you to extract more resources from this node, that is until aunt jane shows up with an army!

sang10.png

Since the world is created just prior to the campaign, what about predetermined values on the server side for disaster, location, and time?  None of this is revealed until the actual event happening.  It's a pre-determined event (yes, I know still RNG at some point).  Player choice determines who it affects.  The small guy may get it, or the megazerg may get it.  but it's not a dice-roll of IF someone will get hit, but WHEN.

Alternatively, if you want an in-game action to trigger, let's make it a matter of who the gods are disgruntled at for failing to protect an asset or deliver on certain promises.

I think of player activated disasters that effect some or all of the map in some way shape or form.

@sanguinius -I love his take on this it keeps major guilds from camping resources giving people a chance to get Items still with a lot of risk involved. 

My idea is to make resource gathering a hard time say a coal mine or iron that is near a volcano(let you mind wonder on this)

Or near a large body of water were a denizen of the sea is angry of your loud noises and decides to wipe out your operation.

@Tully Ackland - This is what I hope get's implemented where some player or players awake some sleeping super monster(boss) that terrorizes the landscape until it is killed or until the game ends. 

https://obsidian.wiki/images/Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg      

Wise words someone once to told me.Steal from the rich and give to thy self.

These "Storms" or "Natural Disasters" seem like good ideas and would be really interesting but I think they should cause minimal damage.

What would be cool though is lets say there is a castle by a mountain and it is winter time. The enemy could create a way to climb to the top of the backside of the mountain and have a team create an avalanche that buries part of the castle. then the other team would would have an easier time getting into the castle. Fighting would be taking place while the builders are clearing and repairing damage from the snow. Some pretty cool tactics could come out from this. This way the players still feel like they did most of the work and the lightning storm wasn't the only reason why someone won a battle.

Also awakening monsters/bosses would be so cool! I could see guilds trying to find/ awaken these near enemy castles. That way their structures would not be damaged or friends and foes might have to team up for that duration of time and set aside their conflicts (Only for that duration of course, the pvp must go on!). 

MQfHl7c.png

I reallly like the idea of the end of a world. Think about a world scheduled to end at 16:00.

At this time, a massive army of the hunger begins to spawn, Comets begin to crash down on the cities, the whole world is caught in a snowstom, and playerdeath becomes permanent. The players struggle to squeeze out just a little more time for a few last victory points, the accomplishment of being the last one alive in the world, maybe some special rewards only available on a dead world. one hour later, the whole population of the world is dead, and the server goes down.

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

... a sudden large wave of deaths after a recent zerg vs zerg battle... causing an undead army to rise on the battlefield, from the dead corpses.

... the planet happens to be near the path of a large comet... causes a meteor shower.

... all of the resource mines being mined at the same time.... causes an earthquake.

... digging too deep or along a particular wall... causes either water or lava to flow and fill the tunnel/hole.

... lighting a fire to a forest or building... causes all nearby NPC creatures to stampede away from the fire demolishing voxels and wreaking through a nearby zerg.

... loud noises on a snow mountain... causes an avalanche.

Sounds fun!

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...