Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why A Guild?

doc gonzo

hello Folks...

just what the Thread title says....why a Guild?

that's the Question, why do YOU enjoy spending your Game time in a Guild environment, what about it is on the plus side...what's on the minus?

for me, it's the People first...the purely Social part of hanging out in ventrilo while engaging in our Hobby both in the relaxed and quiet times as well as the tense under fire Moments...

the sheer Logistical advantage cannot be denied, always having a Group, horse trading among the Guild (as opposed to cut throat outside Commerce)

and then there's the purely Political...not internal stuff...i hate that fiercely....but being in a Guild puts you as part of something larger in the Game's politics...depending on the Game of course..

soOOOooOOOooOOOoooo.......

why a Guild?

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

I need to be carried.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

well, at least no one else had to say it for you...

Still better than everyone here though.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

hello Folks...

just what the Thread title says....why a Guild?

that's the Question, why do YOU enjoy spending your Game time in a Guild environment, what about it is on the plus side...what's on the minus?

for me, it's the People first...the purely Social part of hanging out in ventrilo while engaging in our Hobby both in the relaxed and quiet times as well as the tense under fire Moments...

the sheer Logistical advantage cannot be denied, always having a Group, horse trading among the Guild (as opposed to cut throat outside Commerce)

and then there's the purely Political...not internal stuff...i hate that fiercely....but being in a Guild puts you as part of something larger in the Game's politics...depending on the Game of course..

soOOOooOOOooOOOoooo.......

why a Guild?

speaking of hammers....nailed it. I like playing with like minded people.....hell I even like pvping other like minded players....its all in good fun. Some of the best players I know I started out fighting. I talked to them in vent from time to time but we still pvp each other. Speaking of that if any of you see Rhu tell that theif of an Irekei I want my windlords back. Thems was my good boots.

Edited by thorbeinn

I am not a big fan of guild but sometimes I would have a guild of 5-10 players whom I can trust and played a lot of games with. It's more in the sense that a solo players has limits so I'd like a guild for group raids and back me up when I'm at my limit.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

First I apologize if my English is not adequate.

Regarding the question, personally I always liked playing with friends, I am an old nerd who always enjoy a good D&D game, either being the paladin, cleric or simply the thief that opened the door and deactivated the traps (or in more than one occasion, being the GM who kill all the party, miserably... ). For me, the RPG video games were simply the extrapolation of what I like, into a virtual environment, even in a LAN, it was beautiful to play with my friends, wherever has been Baldur Gate or Neverwinter Nights (I miss those days so much)

With the appearance of the MMO, for me was the opportunity to carry out these ideas to a larger plane. I think that the real miracle of this kind of game is the opportunity to meet people around the world with whom you have lots in common, either sharing the same goal (complete a dungeon) or simply enjoying a good time in the VoIP. Is the opportunity to chat with people around the world and see that, in the end, we are all nerds who enjoy video games. That is, what essentially, motivates me to play MMO.

Regarding cons of MMO, well, it's complicated, unfortunately we are not all equal and we do not think in the same way. In over 10 years of MMO I noted that many tend to, or try to, resolve their conflicts, their unresolved egos, simply by getting an item from a video game, which is essentially a simple cell with information inside a huge database.

Many need to have "that thing" that others do not have, either a sword, an armour, or whatever, just to show others that they have it. It's like trying to overcome a conflict of inferiority, simply by getting something in a virtual environment that is not easy to obtain. And sadly, many are willing to do anything to achieve that.

In the past I heard thing like "The only meaning of a guild is to complete RAIDs, without that the guild is meaningless"..... "And the meaning of a RAID is to give me the best gear in the game, ergo, the Guild should benefit me as individual"

and I believe that is sad... really sad to think something like that.

Is a pity that today, there are many "individuals" creating or joining a guild, who fill one's ears with honey, and it ends up being more sour than what one expects....

If you achieve the objective in the first run, and everyone obtained their gear, perfect, but if the run was a nightmare and you didn't enjoy it, then you are doing something wrong...

Everyone has their point of view, my humble contribution to this debate would be "A guild should be primary the chance to meet people who share your same interests, likes and objectives, and an opportunity to do many things together; Such as, the guild should serve a group of people, not an individual"

Edited by Viktor

Viktor...your English is just fine...

well said, Player...well said indeed...

/golfclap

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Just like you said, the social aspect of a guild is the best part. When you get a group of people that works well together and is willing to play as a team, any game can be fun.

The best guilds also form a kind of a support group, in-game and in real life. A good guild can enrich everything about your life, not just your gameplay.

Sometimes, group raids give you a sense of invincibility (until your team mates start dying and you are like oh my goodness gotta run). Even though solo runs are pretty popular in games too, there are limitations to what a single player can do. For an example, if a player specializes in salvaging loot for his or her team. Then he or she might go on solo runs at times to supply crafting players on team.

If there was the scenario that this player run into a tank or dps group or enemies, it is probably not a good idea to be alone and calling reinforcement is probably the better option. BUT YOU DON'T PLAY WITH ANY OF THESE PLAYERS AND YOU DON'T KNOW WHO CAN SUPPORT YOU WELL! Honestly even if you don't like interacting in guilds, you have to admit that if you are compatible with a healer while you a a tank or dps damage player, the effect if pretty awesome. Guilds give you the option to experience these stuff.

Guilds also give you access of the newest posts on forums at times that will help you get accustomed to new updates quickly. And if you are a new player, definitely seek help from a more experienced player if you are in a guild so you don't get left behind.

You don't have to know everyone in a guild or interact much. What a guild expects is active player so just be active and collaborate not necessarily because you are kind-hearted. Everyone needs someone to give them a hand at times so why not be that person a gain from each other.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

What makes a guild worth it is the loyalty. Its kind of hard to find like minded individuals in the world we call real life because we first off its a "shunned" avenue of gameplay for the general populous.

Talk of games destroying marriages, absorbing ones life & then whats worse is all we see it as is a chance to relax or excel at something we are actually good at. So finding one with your general gaming interest is minimal.. we'll call them your "Gaming Specs" for now.

Then, within the mmorpg gaming world there are a huge amount of subcategories as well. We got your Roleplayers, Casuals, Carebears, PvPers, Raiders and HARDCORE (describe as those who aim to excel to top status within whatever avenue they choose.... which could be all of them) to name just a few!

So mathematically speaking you're talking about finding not 1 or 2 but 10+ people who share your 1 in 10,000,000 interest and dreams, people who are willing to help in the fight for a common goal. For most of the human population, thats the Dream...

Guilds help people learn responsibility & irresponsibility, keeping you up late into the night doing dungeons when you know you have to wake up at 6 am for whatever reason. They build friendships that could last lifetimes or just the span of the game, the best part about it is IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Guilds are about being whoever you want to be, and being accepted for whoever you want to be at that time. No names, No faces, just fun.

You're hilarious dude, you deserve awards for your degree of wit and intelligence, you truly do.

Unfortunately,  the concept of guild has been lost in the MMO world. This has been reinforced with the various MMO releases of late that give the player an option to find AND BELONG to multiple guilds based on their interests. Whoever brought this feature to the MMO landscape should be PK'd at once.

Multiple guilds is a great idea for those individual players who want instant gratification to experience game content without the 'commitment' of joining a organization. It is perfect for the solo player. However, this mentality is a death sentence to the older and/or established organizations that find value in recruiting players who want to contribute towards a 'team effort'.

I represent a 18 year old organization that prides itself in finding these quality players who understand that concept of "team work" but finding recruits in past MMO's with this 'multiple guild' experience has been a complete nightmare.  I know this is something that ACE will address and I have complete faith that with our help (via the boards) they will create an element that will make players proud and willing to join whatever type of organization that drives them. 

-Ralin

The Balance - Nation of Equilibrium

"You can run but you'll DIE tired.."

I have played several MMOs over many years and in my experience the guild makes or breaks the game for me. I've had a great guild of laid back and like-minded individuals who make the game more than just a game and make it more enjoyable. On the other hand I've had guilds with several very selfish people who become disgruntled when the effort, whatever it may be, isn't for their benefit. That being said, I think each game is different in regards to the need for a guild. It would seem the having a guild in Crowfall is necessary to fully enjoy the game and if you can find a good one it would be entirely beneficial. I hope to find that almost perfect guild out there of fun, interesting, and laid back people.

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. http://crowfall.shivtr.com/

--------------------

MJswpS9.jpg

The social aspect is definitely the biggest part for me. We're playing MMOs for god's sake; if you want to play solo, you may want to try Skyrim. I enjoy playing with people that I can relate with, and just have fun being around (especially when I need someone to talk to during my hours of crafting). I tend to stay away from the massive guilds, because I want the feeling that the guild is a family, and everyone in it is there to help each other. I was in a pretty cool guild before I gave up on Archeage. We were a pvp guild, and so people tended to not like us that much, but inside the Vent, it was super friendly. There were various times when a guild member would unstealth themselves among enemies to draw fire and then let themselves be killed, so that a low level member could turn in a trade pack. That is a guild to me.

There are also many strategic advantages: having a group for pvp makes it a hell of a lot easier, gathering crafting materials for a big project is significantly faster, etc. You also have someone to ask questions to if you aren't sure about something, and if you are lucky to be in a guild with someone of a strategic mindset, you can bounce ideas off eachother, and develope an altogether better strategy.

Additionally, it seems like this game is going to rely heavily on guilds if you want to enter into the high risk worlds. Having a personal stronghold is going to be tough. Particularly if you ever want to log off.

In short, if you have a good guild, the entire game is enhanced.

SR8DSig_Infynis.png

So I can laugh with my Guild mates when we take out some wannabees PvP heroes through good old fashion team work.

Not pointing any fingers here ;)

Why would I want a guild

An organization in which to have fun and have a title that may, may not mean something to the players I encounter. There is strength in numbers. As well as having individual friends. Although individual friends are fun and helpful. I never seen large groups of friends that compare to an entire guild of mutual friends; Guilds allow large groups that have mutual friends. That's why I like them.

Hope the grammar and spelling is eligible.

Edited by AmarosDeHorus

For me, and particularly our Community, it is about sharing an experience with other folks that concur with your Core Values.  If you've ever been a part of a great community of folks, then  you know the feeling you get when you work together with like-minded people.

http://exinferno.com/ 

We are a medium (around 500 active members) sized community, but we've grown one person at a time.  We don't believe in trying to zerg build or mass invite.  We interview each incoming member one at a time.

That's what being in a guild/community means to me.  

Check us out and see what we are about!

Thanks.

Sick

I'm a pretty social person in general. I love being able to stay home on a Friday night to game, but still have a great time with friends. :) I joined a guild 4 years ago called The Guardians and have met so many friends. Even flown to the US a couple times to meet some. It's amazing how you can meet such great people, who live all over the world, just by playing a game together. :)

I enjoy having like minded people to converse with.  Even if we're not all exactly the same we all have common ground in that we want the guild to success, whether it's PvPing, raiding, sieging, RvRing, whatever.  Having said that, I'm not overly social...  I don't like just "hanging out" in Vent or Team Speak.  I've never met people from my guilds (that I didn't know already).  Okay, well, once...  but she was very convincing.  However, I still occasionally run across people from my DAoC days who I still remember.

I think guilds provide a buffer to the inevitable flaws that every game must have. This isn't specific for "guilds" in MMOs, but also to clans, communities, etc. 

A game may have issues with the cash shop, or may have poor balance for one of the classes, or may be RNG-heavy, etc., but having a good guild allows you to enjoy the game despite the minor flaws which otherwise would seem so cumbersome to deal with. It's a group of friends that you can rely on to enhance your experience within the game so you can enjoy it more than you would be able to otherwise. All the while you are still able to be independent and play single-player whenever you want if you need a break from all the social aspects. 

Games like Wildstar had horrendous PvP at launch and even the battlegrounds were plagued by issues of AFKers and botters, yet having an awesome guild allows me to always have a fun time in PvP even if we were getting destroyed by 1800 smurfs or brought down by half of our team not actually leaving spawn. 

Games like Archeage are the same - they have their inevitable issues which cause many players to give up on the game, but players who went in with guilds are still enjoying the game. I watched a stream today and saw a guild playing together and they were having a blast, as if all the issues that bother everyone else so much were such a minor bump in their experience. 

Currently Playing - Dirty Bomb, Archeage, & Skyforge

AMEqAAy.jpg