Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

03/11/15 - We're Halfway There!

Aestheticconcerned with beauty or the appreciation of beauty.

Asceticcharacterized by or suggesting the practice of severe self-discipline and abstention from all forms of indulgence, typically for religious reasons.

I apologize for being a syntax nut.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

On the topic of realism.... why?

Why keep it realistic, what purpose does that serve?  If your just doing realism for realism sake, then your just cutting yourself off from potential ascetic designs for no good reason.  If your trying to lend credibility to your work by making it 'realistic', then you've missed the point.  All you end up doing is making your work look bland and generic.  And right now it is dead center of that.

And lets face it, your dealing with a world that has magic, gods, an ever present evil, and animal people.  Your pretty far afield from realistic.

It doesn't have to be WoW, but it does have to look good.

Make a design and ascetic that looks good, that's cohesive with every part of your game, and we'll all be happy no matter what form it ends up in.

Whether it be stylistic of realistic.

I don't think they need any more credibility than they already have, honestly.  As for realism, this is only one of many archetypes, and this one is a Knight.  He looks like a Knight, I'm pretty sure that was the aesthetic they were going for.  There are plenty of archetypes, such as Frostweavers, Druids, and Stalkers that will have armor that is completely different and more exotic.  As it stands, their design is cohesive in everything they've shown us, in my opinion the Knight fits in just fine.

I hope they continue to avoid the goofiness that is WoW.  I've played that game for many years, and while they have a skilled art team, some of their design choices are laughably bad.  I'm looking forward to Crowfall's art style just as much as I'm looking forward to the gameplay, and I really hope I'm not the only one.  The feedback has been mixed so far, but I hope the artists stick to their vision rather than relenting and making armor all sorts of complicated.

I don't think they need any more credibility than they already have, honestly.  As for realism, this is only one of many archetypes, and this one is a Knight.  He looks like a Knight, I'm pretty sure that was the aesthetic they were going for.  There are plenty of archetypes, such as Frostweavers, Druids, and Stalkers that will have armor that is completely different and more exotic.  As it stands, their design is cohesive in everything they've shown us, in my opinion the Knight fits in just fine.

I hope they continue to avoid the goofiness that is WoW.  I've played that game for many years, and while they have a skilled art team, some of their design choices are laughably bad.  I'm looking forward to Crowfall's art style just as much as I'm looking forward to the gameplay, and I really hope I'm not the only one.  The feedback has been mixed so far, but I hope the artists stick to their vision rather than relenting and making armor all sorts of complicated.

You can have realism that actually look good though..LadyKnight.jpg

I was hoping for way more flare.  Having those models would make me feel like I was playing UO again.

*here was beautiful picture of DK*

If WoW's graphics was anything like this picture I would probably never stop playing.

Aesthetic- concerned with beauty or the appreciation of beauty.

Ascetic- characterized by or suggesting the practice of severe self-discipline and abstention from all forms of indulgence, typically for religious reasons.

I apologize for being a syntax nut.

I knew someone step up and do it. :P:) Noticed that mistake too. :)

I don't think they need any more credibility than they already have, honestly.  As for realism, this is only one of many archetypes, and this one is a Knight.  He looks like a Knight, I'm pretty sure that was the aesthetic they were going for.

Amen, brother. Couldn't write it better if wanted to. 

You can have realism that actually look good though...

Yes, indeed. Not the case, I think. Looks like they walk fine line between the two and I like it. Some don't. Good for me. :D

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

I was hoping for way more flare.  Having those models would make me feel like I was playing UO again.

ea7c65d32be463c58bcc12322536be8d.jpg

The example is a little unfair because it's easier to make concept art looker cooler than the actual in game model :P

But the main thing is we want to have numbers in battle that WoW and all its graphical sparkliness can only dream of, that has to mean things have to get turned down some degree. It's going to be a process though I am sure they'll jazz up the character as best they can.

They nailed it here!!

The example is a little unfair because it's easier to make concept art looker cooler than the actual in game model :P

But the main thing is we want to have numbers in battle that WoW and all its graphical sparkliness can only dream of, that has to mean things have to get turned down some degree. It's going to be a process though I am sure they'll jazz up the character as best they can.

They Nailed the flare here....I think they hit the ball out of the park on this one.....If you look at the blizzard concept art and this one.  It looks like they belong in the same game.  The proposed knight armor looks displaced in this game to me.

Crowfall_FemaleDruidConcept.jpg

Edited by nakawe

I find the sample of Character Creation so attractive and pleasing to the eyes. My knight ambitions have rised!

Now, concerning the marketing, someone easily steps in a furrow and feels like it's easier to progress from there since the path is apparently clean.

That image was to show customization will happen. I am going to make every piece as detailed and give it all the love I did with the druid piece. I will not allow bad looking armor into the game..  im a visual nut for my characters. have no fear! I have some very awesome ideas to flesh out /evilface

Dave Greco

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct] [Personal Portfolio]

That image was to show customization will happen. I am going to make every piece as detailed and give it all the love I did with the druid piece. I will not allow bad looking armor into the game..  im a visual nut for my characters. have no fear! I have some very awesome ideas to flesh out /evilface

Oooh yes. *nerdgasm* :D This is wonderful to hear. I love your vision thus far, keep it coming. :)

good to hear ;)

I don't like to admit it, but I usually spend up to an hour in the character creator in most games ;)

and always remember:

Style over Substance!

good to hear ;)

I don't like to admit it, but I usually spend up to an hour in the character creator in most games ;)

Only an hour? What's the rush?

:D

and always remember:

Style over Substance!

*nod*nod*

Edited by rolan storm

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

Not only that, I can spend days coming up with a name that suits my character ... Ow, the times I started a character and deleted him/her after a few hours because I didn't like the name or looks in the end! :-(

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Not only that, I can spend days coming up with a name that suits my character ... Ow, the times I started a character and deleted him/her after a few hours because I didn't like the name or looks in the end! :-(

I'm really bad with names...

I have like 5 I use, but after that I just hooligan around.

My Archeage character was called Fatlittletoddler for example. Can't take that game seriously anyways ;)

Mr. Greco we need beards!! Please sir!

"fire made flesh"

TCLfZIr.png

✣Wildfire Brotherhood✣

Awesome news, ya props again on the Druid.  If you can get the rest of the Archtypes to the Druid level, I will salivate.

I am really trying to give my honest opinion, when I see something I like or dislike.  I promise, I will not always agree or disagree with every Dev post, nor do I think that is what you want.  I believe you guys want honest, constructive debate.  Thank-you for making this game....

Edited by nakawe

Mr. Greco we need beards!! Please sir!

oh there will be beards! glorious beards!!!! beards so thick you can find 2 week old food in them! So scratchy that you can use it to sand down wood! Beards so glorious that .. /passes out

Dave Greco

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct] [Personal Portfolio]

oh there will be beards! glorious beards!!!! beards so thick you can find 2 week old food in them! So scratchy that you can use it to sand down wood! Beards so glorious that .. /passes out

Yes. Sing me the song of my people

Confirmed that beards add inventory slots!  ^_^ /jk

Edited by bramhendriks

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!