Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Damage Druids

fuey500

Druid itself might be a support class but you never know what the promotional classes will be until they announce them, even then they might change, so it is possible

Druid itself might be a support class but you never know what the promotional classes will be until they announce them, even then they might change, so it is possible

As it turns out, that's not correct. We've been explicitly told that promotions will not change an archetype's basic role.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

As it turns out, that's not correct. We've been explicitly told that promotions will not change an archetype's basic role.

0f6bfe8bc8f2059b3cd785809c942251_origina

Doesn't this kind of indicate that that is not the case?  Or am I misunderstanding?

That diagram is from an earlier phase of design, and has been made obsolete by later decisions. The "no changes to core role" design decision was made after that diagram came out.

(That's the danger of following a game so early in its development cycles- not only do you have to learn all the available info, but you have to keep track of what order it was released in and what new information renders which older information obsolete.)

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

That diagram is from an earlier phase of design, and has been made obsolete by later decisions. The "no changes to core role" design decision was made after that diagram came out.

(That's the danger of following a game so early in its development cycles- not only do you have to learn all the available info, but you have to keep track of what order it was released in and what new information renders which older information obsolete.)

Do you remember off hand when that was announced?  I don't really remember seeing it, and I've watched/read just about all the content I could find.  It's possible I skimmed over some older news post though, since I only found out about the game fairly recently.  I hope that decision doesn't stick, because, frankly, that's kind of boring from a character development perspective.

I have a vague recollection that it was in a video, most likely a monthly Q&A or possibly a combat chat, and it would be older rather than newer. I think.

Tully

It looks like Druid will be the next archetype after Ranger. In this video, Blair says (@47:00) that the next support archetype to be added will be Druid.

The Hunger Dome w/ Special Guest Thomas Blair

We know that Champion and Ranger are the next 2, so it makes sense that they would add another support archetype after those.

He also mentions (@13:30) adding a discipline as a Knight that would give you the Legionnaire's Rallying Cry ability. So I'd bet that Druids can add disciplines that give them dps abilities. That won't make their dps on par with that of a confessor or champion, but possibly higher than the base Druid dps. There are probably things in the promotions that will influence it as well.

• 1 month later...

Seriously? I loved Riftstalker tanking and Bard healing. The fact that you didn't have to have a proper class makeup was excellent. Each soul that could tank also operated so differently, it really added a new dimension to what you were doing. You really needed to know what you were doing and what tactics worked best for your class. After a while, that was less important, as updates happened and gear improved, but the idea is still there and i support it. Same thing with the Bard, you used a lot of the same abilities over and over again, but you provided a slightly different role than the obvious healers. If you were good at what you did, and your group was good at what they were doing, you could get it done with ease. 

I agree. No reason to feel pigeonholed into the classic trinity roles.

Ithink also druids shouldn't do damage, it's ok if you can go tree for damage but then make sure it cannot be support. Also don't make him shapeshift, I understand why wow, pathfinder and dnd let druid shapeshift. But those ain't dryads. Dryads are spirits, so I don't see rreason for them to shapeshift, so please don't shapeshift.

I have a vague recollection that it was in a video, most likely a monthly Q&A or possibly a combat chat, and it would be older rather than newer. I think.

Haven't seen anything to indicate that Sentinel has changed their focus from ranged combat, where is the evidence? They made a big deal about it as an example of how promotions can impact playstyle and open avenues of gameplay not traditionally attributed to that archetype, so i don't see this changing much.

Promotions...always promotions.

They've mentioned that while promotions would allow players to emphasize and specialize in a certain playstyle, promotions were also meant to bring gameplay experiences not traditionally attributed to the archetype (The Sentinel's ranged dps, The spear wielding Fury, the tanky Centurion). They've even mentioned giving melee promotions to ranged and mage archetypes as a way to intoduce other playstyles.

(http://crowfall.com/en/news/character-progression/)

Also, there is more way than one to be a support class and still do decent dps: there's lifesteal, HoT's that allow for damage between CD's, there's buff stealing, etc. I think we'll see a perfectly viable DPS druid build in some form or another.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I know I will be trying to make a hybrid build with the Druid regardless. I want to be able to help teammates and do damage with a class, even if the class isn't intended to be a damage dealer. It's just how I make characters. Usually I succeed in it relatively well too :P

You don't need a lot of burst to be deadly. If you got some DoTs and are able to stunlock enemies long enough you can already cause great damage. Or ofc if you get a lot of buffs that allow you to stay alive no matter what.

• 4 weeks later...

In Shadowbane it was really stupid to think about a Druid as pure supporter. 

The Druid was one nice Farm Char, could heal and do some Damage. But properly Trained the Druid was als great at pvp. 
And this was for every Class. Every Char has several ways to be trained depending on your personal Choice of usage.

So i personally are not worried about a lack of damage. 

Bavarie Blue / Happy Tree Friends (HTF) and Pirates of Carribbean (POC)

Archived