Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tierless

Should The Graphics Be Moar Cell Shaded?

Simlpe question, I really like the sort of cell shaded vibe the graphics have and I know they will change a lot during development, my question is, should they push them to be even more cell shaded looking? (remembers jetset radio and borderlands) I think so.

I role play a wordsmith.

Nope.

Heh, j/k. My personal feeling is that doing so might make it look a little more cartoony and I think right now they have a good balance between cartoony and real. For example, in the interview today with MarkeeDragon Thomas Blair mentioned that we won't have big oversized shoulder pads and such. While I love a good cell-shaded look, I'm not sure more would really fit Crowfall.

Agree with Arawulf the look they are going with right now is a big reason I funded it. Changing the graphic style shown would kind of make me a little upset. Tweaks yes but nothing major as being Borderlands shaded. That is to much.

So far the avatar art blends very nicely with the scenery assets, creating a harmonious whole.

Cell shading the avatars would only serve to make them more visible within the world - which is somewhat counter to a PvP game. :)

While I like the way they look now I think being overly satisfied is bit pre-mature since it's not even alpha yet. I'm sure between now and launch we will see an entirely new coat of paint on top of the foundation they have currently, which I think is needed. For a foundation, yes I looks great.

I role play a wordsmith.

I love their current art-style.  I love cell-shading too.  I wouldn't mind if they did more cell-shading, but certainly don't mind if they keep it just the way it is.  Non-issue for me, I suppose. 

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

I agree with the rest of the commenters.  The current art style is money.  It's the first thing I noticed.  It drew me in and was part of the reason I was willing to back.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

wow, beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

I personally think realistic looking games look terrible... but that's just my opinion.  

What isn't my opinion, though, is that realistic games age horrendously fast.  The goal of a realistic game is to realistic, obviously -- and each new generation of video cards put you that much closer.   Which means that within 6 to 12 months, your realistic game will look dated.

Stylized art, however, holds up much better over time.  and for an MMO that you hope will run for a decade or more, that is a really important consideration.

We won't be changing the art style.  Sorry you don't like it, but no art style can please everyone, and we love this one.  If that's what you are waiting for, I'd rather tell you now then have you haunting the forums waiting for something that isn't going to change.

Thanks for checking us out, though!

Todd

ACE

Per Todd's response from another thread, this is the art style.

I dig it. Hope others do as well.

Edited by Kell