Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sillsei

Taking Prisoners

Are you afraid to die?   No.  Take no prisoners.   If they are dead  there is no need to take care of them and waste precious resources on them.  

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Subdual damage systems are silly. Crowfall's motto is Play2Crush.

Weapons and spells that incapacitate targets by design are another matter.

Mancatchers, Disarming weapons, Nets, Pit traps and cages, soporific poisons and lucky shots that knock a toon unconcious are just mundane possibilities.

Actually, keeping an enemy alive is better than killing him if he can respawn, but it would be torture for the bound prisoner player.

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

yeah I figured that would be the general consensus and personally I can't think of any potential benefits to taking prisoners since torture doesn't really work so I was seeing how you guys felt about it.

Edited by Sillsei

I think this is a great concept in strictly survival games, where there is a lasting consequence to death. (Losing all your progression on that character) But in Crowfall, dying is just part of the game, it will happen to you, and everyone esle at some point, taking prisoners would be pointless, just a waste of time, they have nothing to lose and any benefit you might have for taking them out of action for a while will be completely countered by now having to baby sit them and make sure they don't escape.

That could be really cool! While Crowfall does seem to be a lot about killing the enemy rather than capturing them it could be a cool way to get more money/items. But I would have to wonder, what if no one was able to pay to get you released? Would there be a time limit on how long you could keep someone or could you just hold them indefinitely?

Anything that removes a player from playing the game for a substantial period of time is probably a bad idea.

Now, if someone willingly allows themselves to be 'kidnapped', that's a whole different ballpark.

As far as a mechanic goes to enforce that, well, sounds less than fun. 

That could be really cool! While Crowfall does seem to be a lot about killing the enemy rather than capturing them it could be a cool way to get more money/items. But I would have to wonder, what if no one was able to pay to get you released? Would there be a time limit on how long you could keep someone or could you just hold them indefinitely?

That's why you would kill them.  No need to worry about the rest of it.  Done deal.

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Anything that removes a player from playing the game for a substantial period of time is probably a bad idea.

Now, if someone willingly allows themselves to be 'kidnapped', that's a whole different ballpark.

As far as a mechanic goes to enforce that, well, sounds less than fun. 

Pretty much. This idea should be left for RPers to do on their own if they want. Not really good for the core design.

Agreed with KJDavid. Taking away someone's ability to play the game is extremely demotivating. That's a good way to lose accounts.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

How do you feel about the potential to do subdual damage in order to incapacitate people rather than just kill them? also I think that we should be able to have prisoners of war to trade back to the enemy.

you didn't think this through, did you?

you didn't think this through, did you?

I was not intending to think it through. I figured that there was a perfectly good set of minds on the forums so there was no need. to be perfectly honest I was just putting it out there to be torn apart.

what I amazed about if how many replies this topic received even after a consensus was reached that this was a horrible idea.

i would love to see prisons with player sitting there for days and weeks even months,because lets be honest,the possibility to kill someone isn't enough,if he just respawns and thus is able to continue to conduct mischief 

ye i know it would be frustrating and it would be a major risk for criminal players,but wouldn't it heavily motivate the creation of criminal guilds and organization,so criminals gain protection in numbers

of course the risk wouldn't just disappear but it is lessened,and eventually the price to hire such criminal guilds,to do some shady work for you(law abiding citizen),would reflect the high risk.

regarding the nature of players,they would probably keep a criminal forever in the cell,until the campaign eventually comes to an end,even if his crime was minor.

but i could imagine that this kind of tyrannical behavior wouldn't be tolerated by various groups of players living in such a city,eventually leading to unrest and uprising.

and even if the normal citizens are ok with the possibility of infinite imprisonment,the criminal organizations won't be.

different criminal guilds,maybe even ones who aren't even active in this region,would band together to start an all out gang war in that specific city,eventually leading to the ruin of the city,because it is no longer safe and profitable to live and do business there

Edited by kampfbock

i would love to see prisons with player sitting there for days and weeks even months,because lets be honest,the possibility to kill someone isn't enough,if he just respawns and thus is able to continue to conduct mischief 

If something happens to my character in a game where he is unable to be played for days and weeks, I'm probably going to log off, cancel my subscription, and uninstall the game. 

I pay money so I can enjoy myself not allow others to bask in the 'immersiveness' of my displeasure.

A prison mechanic like what you suggest has no beneficial effect whatsoever other than to suit your own amusement. Yes, we want immersion in games, but there's a limit. These are games. If a mechanic forces a player to effectively stop playing the game for days or weeks, then what the heck is the point?