Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HappyWulf

Map Makers

Hey guys! I was just thinking about some of the non-combat stuff that could find it's home here in Crowfall and I got to thinking about the worlds, being that they are temporary and randomized for each new campaign. What sort of jobs besides some of the obvious things could there be? Obvious things like Castle foundation laying (Can't have invaders coming up under your feet!) Raw material processors (Can't build a castle without materials!) Merchants and traders (Your mountain castle needs wood, and your neighbor's forest castle needs stone! Be the middle man and make a profit!)...

Explorers! Map Makers! Cartography! Attack the land with a walking stick, parchment and pen. Be the first to make accurate maps for your nation of an unexplored world. Sell your maps to eager adventurers who have not the time to learn the layout of the wilds, for the land is fleeting, soon to wither and die. Your average everyday adventurer has not the time to waste on exploring a doomed world.

Perhaps you could be commissioned by your guild leader, or a kingdom's ruler to explore an area and provide your findings for his realm which he will include in his daily newspaper for his loyal subjects.

Maps could be landmark-based, auto-fill-in, or be like your standard mmo maps that show a little "you are here" but are limited only to the area in which the cartographer included in the map he sold.

The variations and possibilities are nearly endless, for this simple concept.

I used to manually map things in EQ. It was tedious, but fun... sometimes.

With there being a "fog of War" I suspect that you will auto map as you explore, but to your point, if you can't explore the whole map, you may not know what is out there.

It would be interesting to be able to have a map[ping system in place that could add to the economic climate of each campaign...

I used to manually map things in EQ. It was tedious, but fun... sometimes.

With there being a "fog of War" I suspect that you will auto map as you explore, but to your point, if you can't explore the whole map, you may not know what is out there.

It would be interesting to be able to have a map[ping system in place that could add to the economic climate of each campaign...

I would also like to be able to share maps automatically within a guild as an automatic game mechanic.  

It would also be good for guild leaders (only) to be able to share maps with others outside the guild, after negotiating of course. 

For this reason and others, it should be impossible to put false information on game-provided player maps.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)