buhbuhcuh

Discomfort With Thralls

If you guys are football fans and watch games every Sunday etc you are enthralled by the content and therefore a thrall to football.

The difference between slavery and enthralling is choice. Google won't teach you that.

Edited by Vitality

OP makes some really good points, honestly.  I know in my headcanon the people being brought back are saved from the Hunger, a fate worse than death.  I might just ignore that they're the souls of fallen enemies for the sake of that small fiction.  But yes, depiction should be sensitive to how it's portrayed, as slavery was one of the great sins upon which this country (that the lead developers are from) was built.

[snip]  I then challenged my own lil self and thought about how I'd feel if there was a r.a.p.e. option that you could use on NPC's in the game.  Just an emote. And it's sort of a side thing embedded into the game.  I'd be upset to tell the truth.  It would bother me greatly and it would impact my enjoyment of the game. [snip]

Another one lol, now forced sex is worse than murder, what a sorry lot you are. How are these awe-inspiring doublethink skillz treating you guys in life? Is there no one to point out the hypocrisy ? Some filtering of your own thoughts, please, some introspection, I implore you for the sake of collective sanity.

Edited by Mookzen

When Thralls were first announced it was as part of the crafting system - you could use their souls as an ingredient to make a piece of gear unique. OK, that could be cool.

The last couple times I've seen them mentioned, they are also being used as NPCs that populate the EK, contributing to things such as Skill progression "Thrall Priests praying" and trade "'shopkeeper' Thralls."

So here is my problem. Thrall is a synonym for Slave, and in fact is derived from a norse term for slave.

So yeah, no thank you. I am not going to go to a dying world to bring back slaves for my personal paradise. 

Lets change that fiction. I'm happy to save people from the hunger and give them a refuge. I'm even happy for them to be a currency/resource sink that I need to maintain (aka pay). I am not happy about the idea that I somehow "own" them. You can take your Milgram experiment and go back home.

I realize this game is couched in feudal systems, and indentured servitude/ serfdom is historically accurate, but the cool thing about fiction is that we don't have to lean on exploitative social systems. Just like people can make fire come out of their hands and centaurs are a thing.

I want slaves. 

Its like necromancy. 

Actually, a black cultural thing. 

If it makes your fragile minds more at ease, think of thralls in this game as mere mortal men and womenfolk enthralled by the awesomeness that are these immortal champions, the players, willing to do even the most menial of tasks on their behalf just to be a part of their lives, in fact, that's clever, I think the devs should integrate it into the lore.

Edited by Mookzen

Video games as a culture lulz

well, that point i can understand....in purely anthropological terms...it can easily be viewed as a type of sub-culture, as can many things in the 21st century...your musical tastes for example

it's the social justice/warrior bit coupled wiht the single word "always" that makes me Ask if this is a Jest

To make things more complicated/less clear/infinitely Oridi, I then challenged my own lil self and thought about how I'd feel if there was a r.a.p.e. option that you could use on NPC's in the game.  Just an emote. And it's sort of a side thing embedded into the game.  I'd be upset to tell the truth.  It would bother me greatly and it would impact my enjoyment of the game. Even if I never used it, even if I never saw it used, I'd know that the devs chose to put it there and it would color everything.

I may be wrong here (since I haven't played it), but I suspect strongly that Age of Conan (another MMO) deals with nonconsenting sex as a general (albeit indirect) plot element. It was common in the Conan novels for him to have sex with slaves; logically, by modern standards, that would be nonconsensual, and would be that R-word. Does that suddenly make Age of Conan a squick-inducing game for you? *shrug* It would for some, wouldn't for others. It's a game; what you do in a game does not necessarily reflect how you would act in life. As I've mentioned elsewhere, humans understand the difference between reality and play from a very young age.

You and the OP are absolutely entitled to have your own opinions, attitudes, and world-views. However, attempting to get the game to change to fit his world-views is something that shouldn't be taken for granted. Flexibility is better than rigid opposition to ideas; rather than get hung up on the word choice, find some way to rationalize it in your mind. It's a word - it doesn't have any way to force your character to do things that you don't want your character to do. Sure, they're called thralls, but if you know that your character would never enslave people and force them to work for you, then fine, they don't - your NPCs are instead well-paid employees of your feudal corporation, instead.

That's called "role-playing."

Edit: Can't use that word, so let's use other words and phrases! Language is fun that way.

Edited by Katzemensch

well, that point i can understand....in purely anthropological terms...it can easily be viewed as a type of sub-culture, as can many things in the 21st century...your musical tastes for example

it's the social justice/warrior bit coupled wiht the single word "always" that makes me Ask if this is a Jest

Welcome to the postmodernism.  

Another one lol, now forced sex is worse than murder, what a sorry lot you are. How are these awe-inspiring doublethink skillz treating you guys in life? Is there no one to point out the hypocrisy ? Some filtering of your own thoughts, please, some introspection, I implore you for the sake of collective sanity.

If it makes your fragile minds more at ease, think of thralls in this game as mortal men and womenfolk enthralled by the awesomeness that are these immortal champions, the players, willing to do even the most menial of tasks on their behalf just to be a part of their lives, in fact, that's clever, I think the devs should integrate it into the lore.

Yeesh, at least you picked a fitting name.  You really are a mook.

as a Player on here....i have to Ask...

tell me you are Joking

Not joking at all. There are a lot of people paying more money and spending more time playing video games than they spend on their religion, or movies, or literature, or opera, or any of a whole bunch of things that we've admitted are part of "our culture".  I might have a skewed view of its overall impact because my living depends on it. 

Video games as a culture lulz

Art as culture lulz. See, it even sounds absurd because of how obviously true and unhumorous it is. Video games are a culture.