buhbuhcuh

Discomfort With Thralls

Not joking at all. There are a lot of people paying more money and spending more time playing video games than they spend on their religion, or movies, or literature, or opera, or any of a whole bunch of things that we've admitted are part of "our culture".  I might have a skewed view of its overall impact because my living depends on it. 

Not really...but ok.

Yes. Always. Because video games are our culture.

Video games as a culture lulz

Careful you two - you're really, really close to the phrase used to summon Derek Smart, which will herald a thousand years of darkness.

You must feel real big right now, on your throne of bits.   :rolleyes:

On my throne of bits?

I have to confess, I completely do not get that reference.

As to whether or not I feel 'big'? No, pointing out that something obviously stupid is obviously stupid doesn't make me feel big. It makes me feel tired that someone has 'moral' reservations with the 'slavery' of dead souls in an alternate universe inside a video game which isn't even out yet. 

Besides, slavery is hardly America's only sin (even though this game is in an alternate universe and has nothing to do with the United States in the fiction), we've also engaged in genocide, terrorism, immoral medical experimentation, and international drug trafficking. How many of these do I have to feel guilty about now when they come up in a video game? All of them or just the ones which you tell me I should?

Sod off. 

I have a solution for you bbc.  You don't approach the game as a killer, instead you feel you are fighting a war.  Because of this approach you will undoubtedly avoid certain playstyles that contradict your view and approach to the game.

Ok so if that's the case you can just avoid owning thralls as well.  It may make the game more challenging for you, but we all make those kinds of choices in game.  Doing things we choose to do and avoiding things we don't like to do. 

Not joking at all. There are a lot of people paying more money and spending more time playing video games than they spend on their religion, or movies, or literature, or opera, or any of a whole bunch of things that we've admitted are part of "our culture".  I might have a skewed view of its overall impact because my living depends on it. 

thanks for the Reply...

I have a solution for you bbc.  You don't approach the game as a killer, instead you feel you are fighting a war.  Because of this approach you will undoubtedly avoid certain playstyles that contradict your view and approach to the game.

Ok so if that's the case you can just avoid owning thralls as well.  It may make the game more challenging for you, but we all make those kinds of choices in game.  Doing things we choose to do and avoiding things we don't like to do. 

Yeah, i'll kill, crush and do sacrifices for the gods of winter and death.

But i cant enslave someone. 

I have a solution for you bbc.  You don't approach the game as a killer, instead you feel you are fighting a war.  [snip]

Onward we go, down the rabbit hole of hypocrisy. Rationalizing and justifying murder this way is completely asinine. The side being killed is often just as much convinced about their respective 'noble cause' and your act of murder against them.

Edited by Mookzen

On my throne of bits?

I have to confess, I completely do not get that reference.

As to whether or not I feel 'big'? No, pointing out that something obviously stupid is obviously stupid doesn't make me feel big. It makes me feel tired that someone has 'moral' reservations with the 'slavery' of dead souls in an alternate universe inside a video game which isn't even out yet. 

Besides, slavery is hardly America's only sin (even though this game is in an alternate universe and has nothing to do with the United States in the fiction), we've also engaged in genocide, terrorism, immoral medical experimentation, and international drug trafficking. How many of these do I have to feel guilty about now when they come up in a video game? All of them or just the ones which you tell me I should?

Sod off. 

I actually don't disagree with you on that at all.

no slaves???

but i've already ordered a full harem of various race females wearing boob plate...

d'oh!

/facepalm

I might have to lower my pledge. Brothel level doesn't seem worth it anymore.

By its description sounds more like Necromancy then anything else. These are spirits we are talking about, not living breathing people that we are enslaving. They died and we capture their spirits.

But yeah I honestly doubt there are very many at all, perhaps even only the Op who even made that connection to actual slavery. Seems like a stretch to me.

Just remember that the ''zombie meta" come from the african necromancy..that was a kind of slavery. 

So, we should blame zombie movies? 

Edited by finnelhir

If you're uncomfortable with the notion of forced servitude just make it head-cannon that they're SO glad that you saved them from the hunger, and certain death, that they've pledged their lives unconditionally to you, freely and of their own will. This still makes them thralls, but happy thralls. They are bound to you by their own oath, and not threat nor chain.

TBH it doesn't sounds like we're going to be having THRONGS of thralls if they're an ingredient in 'soulbound' weaponry and used for shop keepers. It sounds as though we'll have a painfully limited number, and are going to have to spreadsheet just how to use them to max effect. Maybe they're a 'rare resource'. Who knows.

Is it maybe that you're confusing servitude with slavery or just not understanding their intentions? It is my understanding that the Thralls you gain through conquest become of some use again. In this reality the dead warriors and crafters either have to await judgement or serve again as a spirit within a weapon. I do not believe they intend us to use them as they were in the early American history. Servitude was the historical way for a man or family to better themselves by serving under a host family. This system may be a way for these fallen spirits to redeem or better themselves? It is unclear at this point.

I am going to be the one to say it.

Maybe this just isn't the game for you. There are plenty of other games that don't involve "slavery" at all!

But wait, aren't all NPCs, in general, basically slaves to our entertainment, cruelly plucked from the sweet infinite possibilities of non-existence, destined to suffer in bondage? I don't think any game will be good for him, in fact I think life itself must be a constant ethical challenge, to enthrall flesh, all those innocent cells, molecules and atoms just for the sake of your conscious, gluttonous existence, how can we, what gives us the right ? We should all go out right now into the meadow and feed the trees with our rotting corpses, for the moral good and all things politically correct!

Edited by Mookzen

Wringing our hands and gnashing our teeth on overly thought PC nonsense? Well then, next stretch goals we can just alter the game where we will have tea, tickle ourselves with feather dusters and feed the homeless! How about instances of "Raid the human traffickers"