Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Division

Player Created Quests?

I understand that questing is not the focus of this game and most likely will never be a part of the game, but I have a thought. For future design, an implementation of player created quests could be a fairly new twist in MMOs (I believe Neverwinter has something similar, but never played). Quests are meant to tell a story, not just be a means of exploration, experience and loot. What if, through the EK system, players created quests to tell a story about their Kingdom (A great way for RP'n to flourish). Quests can be to clear out a player created dungeon within the Kingdom, or to gather a certain amount of materials to build a tavern or guard tower. The rewards can vary, and both the quest maker and taker benefit in some way. Anyone can contribute to the quests option in their own fashion depending on EK role (King, Duke, etc.) class, and/or professions. 

This could be a terrible idea and have no place in Crowfall, I just wanted something to post about.  <_<

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. http://crowfall.shivtr.com/

--------------------

MJswpS9.jpg

Honestly, having a very rudimentary quest system (bring item x to y location) that works similar to Eve's contract system would probably be a pretty useful addition. Could form the basis of a bounty system, and allow transactions that would never otherwise occur without massive trust being a pre-requisite.

Although, it would make a nice RP feature, I don't see it a very high priority.  Guilds have resorted to external resources (e.g. guild websites) to further the RP story, which actually has worked out nicely (e.g. with SWToR) where players are able to continue the story out-of-game throughout the day.

I think this would be a cool feature, but something that can be done out-of-game.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

I'm not sure how it could be used practically (maybe getting exp and items by completion/getting exp and items for hosting a quest) but it definitely sounds like it could be something really cool. I agree with Nyt in saying it probably wouldn't be that high a priority, but I would still be pretty interested in this if it were to become a feature to the game. 

It would be abused and/or used to player

You're probably right. There would have to be some limitations set to prevent abuse and exploiting game mechanics. I have no solid suggestions to prevent this from happening. Maybe the quests created by players has to meet certain criteria based on the type, or they have to be peer/gm reviewed before put in place?

It certainly would not be a priority at this point, but something to consider long term. Thank you all for your comments!

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. http://crowfall.shivtr.com/

--------------------

MJswpS9.jpg

You do realize that since the game is an MMO there are totally player created quests, but much like in real life you need to find the right person for the job. If you promise somebody a reward for their actions then they'll most likely do it if they feel it's worth it, however people will obviously try to backstab or cut out on the deal. Which makes it all the more interesting. Personally I think that with the limiting factors of a non-level based system and equipments that are all in similar tiers the game could aid this a lot since the necessity for assassins, artisans and bodyguards is raised. Just a suggestion to anybody who is going to take a job from another player, if they wont give you 1/2 or at least 1/3 before you start the task then they're going to back out when you come for your final reward. But yeah, the game has a player driven economy and the characters aren't uber powerful, we're going to need to work with each other to get what we want.

You do realize that since the game is an MMO there are totally player created quests, but much like in real life you need to find the right person for the job. If you promise somebody a reward for their actions then they'll most likely do it if they feel it's worth it, however people will obviously try to backstab or cut out on the deal. Which makes it all the more interesting. Personally I think that with the limiting factors of a non-level based system and equipments that are all in similar tiers the game could aid this a lot since the necessity for assassins, artisans and bodyguards is raised. Just a suggestion to anybody who is going to take a job from another player, if they wont give you 1/2 or at least 1/3 before you start the task then they're going to back out when you come for your final reward. But yeah, the game has a player driven economy and the characters aren't uber powerful, we're going to need to work with each other to get what we want.

He is right all 'quests' will technically be player created. but the idea of using the eternal kingdoms as a place to be send on adventures is an example of catering to the traditional style of MMORPG something that this game was designed to break away from. also the idea of a quest in which you actually hash out a deal with a fellow player allows for negation on terms or even a trade for equipment. one other thing is that there is no XP there is only passive training as a way to improve your proficiency in aspects of you charters.

He is right all 'quests' will technically be player created. but the idea of using the eternal kingdoms as a place to be send on adventures is an example of catering to the traditional style of MMORPG something that this game was designed to break away from. also the idea of a quest in which you actually hash out a deal with a fellow player allows for negation on terms or even a trade for equipment. one other thing is that there is no XP there is only passive training as a way to improve your proficiency in aspects of you charters.

I understand that the focus of this game is to not be a one size fits all kind of game, and I'm good with that. I'm only suggesting additional content for the part of the game that's doesn't appear as much 'involved'. It could be something built in to the hierarchy of the EK. The King (or Queen) requires a specific goal for the Kingdom and delegates the tasks, or creates them himself/herself. There would be no xp involved, maybe just some storyline or loot, but definitely beneficial to the EK.

I may have the wrong impression about the Eternal Kingdom, again I never claimed my idea to be a good one. Just an idea.  ;)

--------------------

MJswpS9.jpg

I understand that the focus of this game is to not be a one size fits all kind of game, and I'm good with that. I'm only suggesting additional content for the part of the game that's doesn't appear as much 'involved'. It could be something built in to the hierarchy of the EK. The King (or Queen) requires a specific goal for the Kingdom and delegates the tasks, or creates them himself/herself. There would be no xp involved, maybe just some storyline or loot, but definitely beneficial to the EK.

I may have the wrong impression about the Eternal Kingdom, again I never claimed my idea to be a good one. Just an idea.  ;)

yeah I think that will develop on it on just with the feudalistic dynamic of the EK. also I mean no disrespect to you or your ideas most of my conjectures are merely observations.

Edited by Sillsei