Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phatcat09

All This Patter On Armor And Weapon Crafting And Not A Word On Alchemy.

If alchemy is currently not being considered by Artcraft, odds are that this thread is doing very little to convince them to add it to the game.

I would also like for there to be an alchemy system, but I have other wish list features on my agenda right now.  We need more advocates for alchemy to suggest ideas and discuss potential problems and solutions to those hiccups.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

ye i would like alchemy,but i wouldn't like it to be only something like toxicology,only able to make potions and poisons and stuff like that.

they should also be able to transmutate resources and materials.

converting wood into iron or whatever,nations and guilds could compensate for lack of a certain resource by transmutating an abundant resource into the one they lack.

of course it shouldn't be a 1:1 ratio,but maybe 2:1,and if you want to transmute different tiers the ratio would be even wider.

so transmuting t1 to a t2 would be 10:1 and t2 to t1 1:10 and so on

Edited by kampfbock

If alchemy is currently not being considered by Artcraft, odds are that this thread is doing very little to convince them to add it to the game.

I would also like for there to be an alchemy system, but I have other wish list features on my agenda right now.  We need more advocates for alchemy to suggest ideas and discuss potential problems and solutions to those hiccups.

Let's turn this thread into a discussion then :)

I'm not sure how I feel about alchemy personally. I think the incorporation of it makes me think of end-game potions becoming necessary and simply a random gold-sink. Every MMO I have played with potions seems to either rely too heavily on them or make no use of them.

In the games that rely too heavily on them, it becomes a potion-spamming contest. The player with better/more potions has an advantage, and this ruins key aspects of the game to me. 

Then you have games which limit the use of potions in order to prevent potion-spamming from being the go-to move at level cap in PvE & PvP. These games never seem to actually make use of potions. You basically buy the set potions you need (health, mana, +attack, etc.) and use them when you can. They last for a duration, have a cooldown on them, then you use them again. It feels like everyone is using the potions, so it becomes a gold-sink which neither separates players nor adds excitement/fun/interest. 

I also don't personally have experience with a game that has found a way to use an alchemy system that allows uniqueness between crafters without causing overpowered effects. If one potion gives more of an attribute, it will always be favored. Similarly, if potions give a divide of stats, theorycrafters will always figure out the "best" for specific scenarios. Therefore customization within the craft has never seemed to exist. 

With all of that being said, I think alchemy would fit into Crowfall well, and I think the developers have the creativity and experience to design a system which works better than previous systems. I'm not sure what that system would be; whether it's removing combat-based potions, having random negative effects on every potion to separate the superior crafters, etc. There's a lot of interesting ways to fudge the system to make it more interesting for the alchemist without forcing everyone to constantly use potions. 

An example of the above could be a potion which provides an incentive for 30 minutes, then a debuff for 30 minutes after. Maybe this potion wouldn't be ideal for most, but if you were doing something intensive for the first 30 minutes it could be beneficial, as it would if you only had 30 minutes to play anyways. Unique drawbacks to alchemist crafts like that provide much more variety, which makes it so much better in my opinion. 

Currently Playing - Dirty Bomb, Archeage, & Skyforge

AMEqAAy.jpg

I definitely agree that consumables should not give short term advantages.  If your opponent is good at killing enemies, you better not rely on potions and buffs to save your hide.  I see consumables as tools for the game of attrition, keep yourself warm, keep yourself supplied, and then you will have the right to conquer and plunder as a healthy barbarian.

With all of that being said, I think alchemy would fit into Crowfall well, and I think the developers have the creativity and experience to design a system which works better than previous systems. I'm not sure what that system would be; whether it's removing combat-based potions, having random negative effects on every potion to separate the superior crafters, etc. There's a lot of interesting ways to fudge the system to make it more interesting for the alchemist without forcing everyone to constantly use potions. 

Making potions an attractive and rewarding resource is definitely something we should be aiming for if they are in the game.

In my opinion, making these a non-stackable resource is a strong early direction in giving them power while still making them secondary characters that support military and economic campaigns from the background.  Making individual potions or consumables strong by themselves and difficult to stack will remove the extreme tediousness of grinding breathtaking amounts of potions, while making them relevant to obtain and craft.  And of course, like I said earlier in this post, no extreme combat steroids, not attractive.

Making potions distinct from other resource types is a very good idea too.  Transmutation is a good suggestion raised by kampfbock.  Side effects could make for very interesting emergent gameplay as well.  Explosions are always fun.  I personally would love to see restorative herbs for healing wounds in the field after a battle so the military campaign, scouting mission, or economic expedition may continue.  Resource dependent out of Combat healing is something I am advocating.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Announced in today's update:

Alchemist Runestone

“Wine from Water, Lead from Gold”

• Grants Potion Recipes
  • Grants Alchemy Skill
  • Grants Inventory Bag (Potions) - Potions placed in Potion bag will not explode when hit 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo/posts/1164637

The last part seems like it could lead into a lot of very interesting mechanics. 

Currently Playing - Dirty Bomb, Archeage, & Skyforge

AMEqAAy.jpg

Happy now cat? Finally got your alchemy nod. :)

Not really. It was never a question of whether or not they're doing alchemy it's what they plan on doing with it. It should've been  apparent from the first crafting post that alchemy was definitely a discipline of some sort. I just want them to talk about it....

So I can make vaguely passive aggressive remarks about how watered down they're making it, which likely result in someone defending it as a great idea.

Edited by phatcat09

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

puppy punch Count: 28

If potions can explode when hit, that leads to some interesting ideas. Have a stealthed player sneak up to an enemy encampment, lay out some of the more volatile potions around the gate, then retreat and give them a very clear enemy to cause them to come running out of the gate. When they pass through the gate, have an Archer detonate the potions from range. :lol:

I expect potions in CF will be similar in some ways to those in UO, and in a game with the need to eat food, I would be very surprised if poison was not involved...

I sure hope they have poisoning food in cf based on how important hunger seems to be.