Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
orange

Can Solo be a Thing?

So there are always going to be those new players and people even who will come into this beta and want to play solo. Because lets be honest, it's the internet. We came on here to get AWAY from people or problems or whatever your thing is. But there is that section of Solo players. I mean I personally am in NZ timezone so unless they make AU, US, separate servers (I hope not) I'll most likely be playing during hours where only a few people will be on and most likely hoping off. Honestly that's fine by me because then I don't have to deal with getting asked to join a call/ts all the time. But I was wondering, do you think you could play this game and solo?

I hope so personally but my situation would be like this TBH: I'm apart of a clan but I only get on for scheduled raids/clan battles/etc and help there and do my part. Other then that I farm, grind, rank/rep up or whatever the system is but by myself and only with friends if they're on and join me in what I need done or join them if I need something from what they're doing. Do you think I could survive off that in a game like this? I just wanna hear opinions.

I sure hope so. My work/life schedule make my hours odd and random, so I can't always be on during a "prime-time;" not to mention, in the past, for years, in ShadowBane, I was errant, and would just play with whatever friends I had that were on, or I'd just run around by myself and kill people.

Tldr?

Please

So there are always going to be those new players and people even who will come into this beta and want to play solo. Because lets be honest, it's the internet. We came on here to get AWAY from people or problems or whatever your thing is. But there is that section of Solo players. I mean I personally am in NZ timezone so unless they make AU, US, separate servers (I hope not) I'll most likely be playing during hours where only a few people will be on and most likely hoping off. Honestly that's fine by me because then I don't have to deal with getting asked to join a call/ts all the time. But I was wondering, do you think you could play this game and solo?

I hope so personally but my situation would be like this TBH: I'm apart of a clan but I only get on for scheduled raids/clan battles/etc and help there and do my part. Other then that I farm, grind, rank/rep up or whatever the system is but by myself and only with friends if they're on and join me in what I need done or join them if I need something from what they're doing. Do you think I could survive off that in a game like this? I just wanna hear opinions.

Just my opinion but IF

1. The game has levels and leveling

2. is GvG/Siege pvp centric

Then most likely playing solo, as in leveling and gearing yourself, will be at a serious disadvantage but the with the way you described it I would say it should be viable. Shadowbane was a GvG/Siege pvp centric game but once you were part of the guild there was plenty of solo roaming and classes/professions that were good at that aspect (Scout and Thief being the big two). There was roaming the leveling zones to kill people leveling, Discipline Runes that certain NPC's dropped that you could sell/barter, and special gear that had a low drop rate of certain mobs. However most of the top tier SB guilds required you be in voice comms if you were logged in game.

Edited by gauis

Just my opinion but IF

1. The game has levels and leveling

2. is GvG/Siege pvp centric

Then most likely playing solo, as in leveling and gearing yourself, will be at a serious disadvantage but the with the way you described it I would say it should be viable. Shadowbane was a GvG/Siege pvp centric game but once you were part of the guild there was plenty of solo roaming and classes/professions that were good at that aspect (Scout and Thief being the big two). There was roaming the leveling zones to kill people leveling, Discipline Runes that certain NPC's dropped that you could sell/barter, and special gear that had a low drop rate of certain mobs. However most of the top tier SB guilds required you be in voice comms if you were logged in game.

Well they did say specifically "I don't want to kill more rats, and fill another experience bar" so I'm pretty sure lvling isn't a thing. Most likely grinding mobs/bosses for rare drops and items to sell/use for crafting is going to be the PvE experience (I say this in any post regarding anything for this game, I WANT REPUTATION SYSTEM!) so that'll prob be it for my soloing, rest will be pvp vs other players roaming at late times and noobs for  hope they'll give me a rare item in drops or whatever or get more gold, etc.

Most games you can play solo depending on what your goals are. I played Shadowbane solo for almost a year because my only goal was to kill people and increase my wealth. I started off not very good and got progressively better because of it. Where I lost out in doing that was not getting to participate in sieges and other larger PvP events. I had to pick and choose my fights carefully. So while we know nothing about this game, I'd say that soloing is always possible so long as you have realistic expectations regarding what you'll be able to accomplish.

pKWaYh4.jpg

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/98-mmo-that-doesnt-mean-dependency-on-groups/

That covers the discussion on this topic and the reply from TullyAckland said:

"If I were to truncate the question I'm seeing to "Hey, I'm a solo player, am I doomed?" The answer I'll give right now is "No, you're not." 

I've spent much of my MMO career causing havok on my own, contributing to the grander picture. Ultimately though, there are things you can just do more effectively with allies."

Edited by mcfear

I hope that you can play solo but it takes a lot of skill and a special kind of person to do so.  I think the more that the game is designed to allow soloing, the more damage it will do to grouping.  People tend to migrate towards the easiest most effective option to do things.  To create strong groups / guilds you need people to be dependent on each other.  That's hard to do when you can just bail and go solo for better gains.

Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates

I want solo play, and PvE difficulty in general, to be akin to EQ.

Fighting  single even con mob should by no means be the guaranteed win for the player that it is these days.

Soloing should be a case of (nearly) always fighting mobs below your level. Any mob that cons even to me should be as tough as me. Otherwise it's not really an even con, surely?

Just like most other MMORPGs probably a mix of both.

I imagine there will be things that can be done soloing.

I imagine there will be things that can be done soloing that could be done better if grouped with others.

I imagine there will be things that can't be done soloing and requires a group.

Edited by noobzilla_youtube

I'd never really thought about it before, but I hope it isn't a "healthy mix".

I've played a healthy mix. I'm bored with a healthy mix. I think I'm ready for something that specializes. Maybe my character will be a jack of all trades, but I don't necessarily want the game to be.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

There are plenty of activities that can be accomplished through solo play. Unfortunately at this point I can't cite examples since we are still revealing the game and I wouldn't want to give it away. I can assure you though there was no meeting where we sat down and drew an X through the words solo play.

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

There are plenty of activities that can be accomplished through solo play. Unfortunately at this point I can't cite examples since we are still revealing the game and I wouldn't want to give it away. I can assure you though there was no meeting where we sat down and drew an X through the words solo play.

But you slashed a giant X through:

PvP flags

PvE server

Majority of land is PvP safe

Right?

Right?

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

Good to know. I would assume one of those examples would be to Assassinate people in cities;)

But you slashed a giant X through:

PvP flags

PvE server

Majority of land is PvP safe

Right?

Right?

You know if they would just come out and say what is NOT in the game, it would say a lot toward what IS in the game.

I hope that you can play solo but it takes a lot of skill and a special kind of person to do so.  I think the more that the game is designed to allow soloing, the more damage it will do to grouping.  People tend to migrate towards the easiest most effective option to do things.  To create strong groups / guilds you need people to be dependent on each other.  That's hard to do when you can just bail and go solo for better gains.

That's fine.  That's one of the reasons to solo -- the bigger challenge.  It shouldn't be a cake walk; it should be harder than teaming up but not impossibly so.

Yay!!  (does happy dance then roars)

Not quite carebear, but sort of cousin to,

meh, grumpy old lady...

Never underestimate grumpy old ladies.