Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyro

Will There Be Any Pve Campaigns?

I really don't understand why someone would like to change this game making it another copy-paste Wow clone...

There are countless game online were you need to kill mobs only and maybe sometime kill another player, you can play one of those, why destroy the hope of many of us that want to play a game where the main focus is killing other players and maybe kill some mobs just when it is needed?

Edited by cappaspada

Se un uomo non è disposto a lottare per le proprie idee, o le sue idee non valgono nulla o non vale nulla lui. EZRA POUND

MEMENTO AUDERE SEMPER

Well no, they really aren't. They are 100% optional. Sure, they may be fun for people who like to play with lego's by themselves and dress up in costumes. Alone. They are 0% useful. Anything "useful" that can be done in Crowfall can be done in the campaigns. So far as we know, heh. Being able to declare your EK private, or public, or turn on PvP, or attack an enemy castle...... fake useful, and only the ability to control access and pvp is unique. Not to mention the fact that there could be tens of thousands of EK sitting around, empty, while a tiny handful actually get used as meeting places and guild hangouts. Finally, they are completely unimportant to the game as a whole, except maybe as a draw to the people who are attracted to 'virtual worlds' and are willing to deal with the above.

Anyway, I don't mean to be argumentative, but at the end of the day, the only way EK could be considered 'fun' or 'useful' is completely in the eye of the beholder. On the other end of the spectrum is pretty much anything you can do in a campaign, which ALL has legitimate use and is important to the game. There are plenty of people who will spend 100% of their time in a campaign and never 'suffer' any kind of discomfort or lose any functionality or ability. You can't say that about someone who play's 100% in the EK.

The sooner people take this to heart the sooner we can move beyond this and focus on the game. Pending new info, of course, heh.

This can be said about any part of any game. People play WoW/GW2 and only do instanced PVP arenas while others only do PVE content. EKs are an additional layer to give a bit more substance while not in campaigns. Sure someone can never leave campaigns, but then they are going for a more "lobby" like experience. Those wanting more of a on-going experience will have the EK as an outlet.

From a solo stand point, EK sound pretty damn boring. From a guild-alliance-social view, they sound pretty entertaining. As you said, it is up to the eye to determine this.

ACE doesn't need to make them into something they aren't just to please some folks. They are fine as is and I believe it is just a matter of some not quite understanding what they are going for. Still see people debating about MMORPG or MOBA or whatever. Little to worried about labels and sticking things in boxes.

I like the concept behind EKs and do hope more gets added, but not so much that they become a full alternative to campaigns which to me are the game.

I play Team Fortress 2 and there are trade servers and what not where people spend all day trading. This is completely outside the design of the actual game and is entirely optional. However, it gives those that want to trade, craft, socialize without the worry of "winning" a place to hang out. This is for a FPS lobby game. Pretty sure EKs will have a bit more substance.

While it is unfortunately folks struggle with grasping the overall design, it is nice to see a game that can't instantly be labeled as a clone or X type of game. A lot of it will be what we make of it. EKs aren't exactly blank canvases, but they allow quite a lot of player freedom from what I see. Sounds like some want more dev created content in them which doesn't seem to be the point. We are the content in the EK and Campaign.

Edited by Allein

I honestly have no respect for PvEers as people and honestly they should be considered a lesser being.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

On the side note, I hope this statement (p.s. I think EQ Next is doing PvE events like that?  I seem to recall that from the announcement video.) wasn't sarcasm as I heard some of EQ Next staff team were let go and the game itself seems to be put aside for H1Z1 and for people who also enjoy PVE games.

No sarcasm.  I believe that dynamic PvE (like wandering armies of monsters) are a core part of the EQN vision.  EverQuest is one of THE greatest MMOs ever created.  I want that legacy to continue.

(just not in Crowfall)

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

I honestly have no respect for PvEers as people and honestly they should be considered a lesser being.

Translation: I don't like people who are not like me.

EverQuest is one of THE greatest MMOs ever created.

Really? You think DIKU MUD with 3D is that great?

Translation: Youre a Carebear.

Edited by checkyotrack

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I know. Must be hard dieing all the time.

SWrkfdj.jpg

No sarcasm.  I believe that dynamic PvE (like wandering armies of monsters) are a core part of the EQN vision.  EverQuest is one of THE greatest MMOs ever created.  I want that legacy to continue.

(just not in Crowfall)

Todd

ACE

Sorta offtopic: Didn't UO try doing dynamic PVE? I thought I remember reading that mobs of type X were exterminating mobs of type Y all the time and they had to scrap it.

Sorta offtopic: Didn't UO try doing dynamic PVE? I thought I remember reading that mobs of type X were exterminating mobs of type Y all the time and they had to scrap it.

All that ever did was cause shortage of feathers, so arrows were hard to come by.

Yes, they tried doing this, but servers were designed with 2-3K max pop, and when 10x logged on, everything was exterminated, even dragons.

all I know is that a PvE only campaign will just end up with some players only playing there and some only playing in PvP, and for a game that is going to be niche that basically just means it would die so I'm gladthey aren't entertaining this

gtlLXYT.png

ACE doesn't need to make them into something they aren't just to please some folks. 

This is pretty much the crux of the issue, IMHO. I don't believe "PvE" as in WoW/GW2 etc should be in Crowfall. But some people here are looking at **anything** a player can do that does not involve 'sticking something sharp into the body of an enemy' as PvE. As Todd has said already, there WILL be some elements of PvE in campaigns. We should roll with that and let them know what sorts of things we'd like to see. At this point, anyone hoping for 'Raids" in Crowfall are simply tilting at windmills.

eEvERiW.jpg

This is pretty much the crux of the issue, IMHO. I don't believe "PvE" as in WoW/GW2 etc should be in Crowfall. But some people here are looking at **anything** a player can do that does not involve 'sticking something sharp into the body of an enemy' as PvE. As Todd has said already, there WILL be some elements of PvE in campaigns. We should roll with that and let them know what sorts of things we'd like to see. At this point, anyone hoping for 'Raids" in Crowfall are simply tilting at windmills.

7. This sounds like there is lots of Player-versus-Player fighting, what about monsters (Player-versus-Environment)?

There will be monsters in Crowfall – lots of them – but they are intended to raise the general “threat level” of the game, not to be the primary focus.

Crowfall will not have any instanced PvE dungeons and raids, for instance. The Worlds WILL be crawling with monsters and former inhabitants of the Dying Worlds, however.

Players will often need to fight NPC monsters near resource nodes, gain access to points of interest, scavenge for food and equipment, and often to simply survive. Many of these creatures are powerful enough that they will be very challenging to defeat – even for multiple players working together.

Some activities will require players to seek out monsters – some recipes will require reagents that can only be found by defeating certain monsters, or require the use of rare Thralls (“ghosts” NPCs that must be captured) to bind into an enchantment. Also, remember that the monsters will also become more deadly as Winter approaches, and the Hunger bleeds the warmth from each World.

The NPC Monsters are also your enemies so you are gonna have to sticky them too.

There is going to be crafting.   But you can get "stuck"  doing that too unless you sit in your EK and pray someone gives you mats and stuff to craft with.  I see a better chance of that in the campaigns.  What exactly are these "other" ppl looking for?

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

(just not in Crowfall)

Todd

ACE

Full agreement.  I was very active on their boards before Crowfall came to be.  Their storybricks ideas are very compelling; thoughtful and dynamic AI and worlds is the next vision for PvE-centric MMOs, just like dynamic worlds and conquest is for PvP MMOs.  I am not surprised that voxels are in both games' visions.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

Or just get a day of griefing. 

Happens too, you know...

Well, if you were lucky enough to be in my guild you could just call it on TS and I would run over and steamroll those maddafakkas

Member of The BlackHand Order

(just not in Crowfall)

Todd

ACE

I could like this post a hundred times.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Can I just say that those who reply to post with quotes from the FAQ may not be clearly understanding the full scope and thrust of the thread and/or post? Monochromatic thinking isn't really that interesting as a conversation piece. And this forum, with the lack of information we face, is ALL about conversation between players, and between players and the dev's. If the FAQ was the sum total of all knowledge and inquiry, we should just lock the forums and every link on the website should end up leading to the FAQ.

Edited by Toxophile

eEvERiW.jpg