Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gam3rM4n0ne

Battle Damage

I understand this idea will cause more work for artists. Thank you for reading.

Battle damage = phased visual approach.

Let's say each piece of armour has 3 visual queues;

Perfect 100%-85%

weathered 84%-35%

Imperfect 34%-0%

In my opinion; this will immerse us gamers... more.

Thoughts? Concerns? Comments?

Thank you.

It'll either look pathetic, or be impossible to see while we're backed out to the widest, furthest-back FOV possible to get the best situational awareness in combat. 

There's not going to be a way to make it actually look good scaled out to wide-angles, which is exactly where 98% of the playerbase will be.

I think is would be a good idea and I am in favor of it but you have to budget the time you put into programing each aspect and for me this is not very high on that list.

How about limbs severed, blindness, or disembowelment?

I'm not sure a player would like to be at near 100% health but loose their sword/wand arm.

I do like a different look for damages equipment (tattered, dented, discolored) It would have the effect of good players going after the opposing player with the highest visible damage to take them out of the game quick though.

I'm not sure a player would like to be at near 100% health but loose their sword/wand arm.

I do like a different look for damages equipment (tattered, dented, discolored) It would have the effect of good players going after the opposing player with the highest visible damage to take them out of the game quick though.

this might be an interesting mechanic that way you could take a really skilled fighter, put them in good but damaged armor, buff him all to hell, and let people go after him.

Great discussion guys!

I can see the concern with our preferred POV, however I also think it could be a fun mechanic.

We haven't seen this kind of dedication to equipment decay in MMOs. But it's that a bad thing?

I still think it would be a non offensive addition to the art style that gives our eyes a little difference, of what is seen.

Keep the comments coming, if you feel passionate about this idea!!

Well technically is not difficult in Unity (I remember that I did something similar a few years ago), you just need to create an asset with all the possible models of an armor, and write the script for the dynamic change of the layer.

The problem is... you are loading more models per character with each piece of armor... That means more resources wasted on every player, multiply that for all the players your machine is rendering at one time..

I remember that I solved it by changing the texture instead of the model (I'm noob after all.. I should have thought in that from the beginning), but even in that case, you are duplicating, or in your example, triplicating the amount of textures loaded at one time.

I like the idea though, maybe they could use the same trick they use in SWTOR, and load one texture with all the variants, but that will decrease the quality of the texture as well...

Edited by Viktor

I understand this idea will cause more work for artists. Thank you for reading.

Battle damage = phased visual approach.

Let's say each piece of armour has 3 visual queues;

Perfect 100%-85%

weathered 84%-35%

Imperfect 34%-0%

In my opinion; this will immerse us gamers... more.

Thoughts? Concerns? Comments?

Thank you.

Other mote technical usage based problems aside, this isn't feasible for technology concerns. There could be potentially hundreds or even thousands of characters in your field of view at any given time, with multiple phases of armor for each armor set, that's more that the servers have to load, and your pc has to visualize for you. Awesome in theory, terribly impractical for optimization purposes.