Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TullyAckland

03/13/15 - Character Progression Faq

Where do Disciplines Runestones come from?

Disciplines are found by participating in Campaigns.

The exact method varies: they can be scavenged (meaning they will spawn in ruins, or uncovered as buried treasure when tunneling in the ground), some can be crafted (using additives and resources found in the Campaign worlds) some can be granted as a special Campaign reward.

Can Discipline Runes be traded?

Yes, but since they can’t be removed (only destroyed), you can only use them if they have not yet been applied to a character.

Perfect, so, in order to find Disciplines (and probably other stuffs) we'll have to interact with the environment, explore, scavenge, dig out, etc.

Theres a lot of PvE content in this game, regardless the fact that is a PvP game. I will enjoy exploring during the campaigns. I think that I found my place in this game, supplier and artisan during the campaign.

7ab7d078fa7a0e09c1a862b4d01c7bf8.jpg

I like this game more every day.

Edited by Viktor

“Wine from Water, Lead from Gold”

Um, don't you mean Gold from Lead?

Why would you want to turn gold into lead?  A very confused alchemist you have there.

Why would you want wine instead of water?  *Boggle*

Why would you want to turn gold into lead?  A very confused alchemist you have there.

Maybe it's a new approach to the problem, given the high frequency of failure among previous generations of alchemists to turn lead into gold. 

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

Yes I am worried that some combinations will be crazy OP! I'd like to avoid some of the SB combinations which produced characters with 700% critical damage ratings. Disciplines will come up that needs to be adjusted over time. (We have a plan to do this between campaigns so as to not drop huge balance changes on campaigns in progress) That being said one of our biggest goals is to make fun combinations and worry less about making a pure balanced homogenous class system where everyone is within 0.5% damage in a 1v1. 

I saw someone else voice this concern after you made the comment, but simply addressing balancing issues between campaigns isn't going to calm people down. The moment those people find an extremely powerful build, they've already committed to it. Merely balancing it out doesn't address the larger implication that the player who found it might be "screwed". 

You can't rebuild your character easily in Crowfall and this has potentially months or years worth of real time, flushed down the drain, based on an arbitrary decision by the devs. I'd be curious if you have plans to address this situation beyond merely nerfing a powerful combo?

More to the point, can't you simply allow someone utilizing X/Y combos a respec to allow them some small amount of consolation for the nerf?

1 - Someone take that Nerf bat away from Thomas!

2 - Todd has said elsewhere that campaign starts would not be synchronized, ie there would be new ones starting "all the time". How does that work with effecting balance changes without mucking up ones in-progress?

Campaigns will be on different servers. ACE can update the code the server runs, or not, as they see fit.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

A one handed mace doesn't make any sense, she ought to have a shield, or better yet a hammer

Unless she also took Mounted combat discipline (1 hand on the reigns).

But Mace & shield,  Mace & hammer,  Mace & main gauche (or sai),  Mace & net,  Mace & Mace,  Mace & axe all sound valid to me.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

i like the final fantasy approach of name repeats. I think its a smart marketing move. It instills a sense of nostalgia coupled with fresh content and experience...which worked well for the ff franchise.

ezgzn8.jpg

Wow . Im impressed I can see a lot of deep progression there but this makes it even harder for me what to choose. Templar, Knight, Confessor or that Ice based thing^^ i mean choose from dis- advantages, disciplines, and promotion class.

Yes I am worried that some combinations will be crazy OP! I'd like to avoid some of the SB combinations which produced characters with 700% critical damage ratings. Disciplines will come up that needs to be adjusted over time. (We have a plan to do this between campaigns so as to not drop huge balance changes on campaigns in progress) That being said one of our biggest goals is to make fun combinations and worry less about making a pure balanced homogenous class system where everyone is within 0.5% damage in a 1v1. 

Many interesting combinations await us all, let's make our characters awesome!

You're off to a good start with awesome ideas like Falconry. Where Devs often fail is in giving out lame but simple choices like Moar Damage or Rad Crits. Those two are boring but would stack together for a squared buff. Falconry and alchemist aren't outright numeric buff and don't just multiply together. Plus they aren't just more numbers, if I wanted big numbers I could just type them into a spreadsheet.

TLDR: Cool things which don't stack multiplicitively is the road to success.

David Sirlin's Balancing Multiplayer Games should be mandatory reading for all gamers.

How many disciplines can 1 character have at 1 time?  I see you made it plural in your original post.

"No. In addition to promotion classes, characters can also take Disciplines, which are a type of “sub-class” to further customize your character"

"Yes, you can overwrite existing Discipline Runestones with new ones."

Edited by nakawe

Gasp! You mean people will have to... make choices ?!?!?!

Pardon the snark, but I think it's a Good ThingTM to have character development take more than a few days. Also, VIP will get you training on 3 characters at once, so... there's that.

Thats exactly what im saying you basically have to be VIP to have relevant alts. I dont have any problems with character development taking more then a few days(But far as i know it will take months at least), my issue is that not everyone's first character ends up being thar main. You might spend 1 week on  your first char or a few months in or even a year or 2, maining your first guy, but then you realize its not optimal for your group, or its really not something you enjoy as much as you thought you would. So you decide to play one of your alts whos way behind now because of the way the passive training works, and that you have to have VIP the entire time or your gonna be pretty far behind VIPs.

Or maybe your down a frontliners for your guild since you arnt part of uncle bobs army your working with 15-25 guildies so you need certain roles filled to be effective. So you decide to jump on a alt you have thats a frontliner but quickly realize its not anywhere near up to par in skills etc compared to someone who mains a frontliner for months. So now your gimped and your group is going to feel that too.

This is where my concerns lay. Ye i get it that player skills matter but so do ingame skills which can make a world of difference not having them. So if you arnt a VIP your going to feel pretty gimped far as i know when it comes to playing multiple characters, which i myself enjoy playing alts when not commanding, and so do many others im sure. So i want to know how long will it really take to have a "complete" character where it can be effective in the battlefield, and how much of it will be just having "options" Like having a frontliner being able to use a bow. I think thats a pretty fair concern. Im not bashing the game in anyway nor am i saying this game isnt for me. Im very excited for Crowfall and cant wait to test it and really see what it can do.

krevra.png

So you decide to play one of your alts whos way behind now because of the way the passive training works, and that you have to have VIP the entire time or your gonna be pretty far behind VIPs.

gif-bye-disdain-disgust-disgusted-do-not

jesus christ chill

don't see one more passive skill being trained so much OP that non VIP's stay soooooo much behind 

Edited by mazh

2whf87a.jpg

No. We have very realistic alchemist. If he learned 'how to Wine from Water' first, he might be pretty drunk at the moment he decided to do anything else.

Edited by rolan storm

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

WoW this post is super interesting, actually one of the most important parts of any mmoRPG !!!

everything you inform us are very good and exiting (at least for me..) !!!

but i bet you opened this forum to read also other opinions and criticism i would like to express one slight disagreement! Its about the locked weapons cause of animations !  So far the game you design offers so much flexibility and its close to a good sandbox! But i feel that sandbox in character development means the ability to get whatever weapon/armor you like! Of course with the following penalties or hidden advantages for specific moments? I know this sounds like "more work on animations"(which are also important to be very very good) but this one will lure much more experimentalists and offer a huge depth in the game!

p.s. the alchemist detail about the potion bag and the fact that if someone carry potions in normal bag and get hit they might explode made me crazy !!! that was an explosion of imagination, loved it so much !!!

p.s. sorry for but english bored to correct it in word :P

5a1b3fea-fc4c-485e-87da-0147a0f11ae3.png