Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kickit

A wiz 101 perspective (on Sb'ers)

I was laying there not sleeping last night thinking about it. They're pretty much tiny zealots, and from the mouth of their messiah utteriths 'I am creating an amazing new game', they go FANATIC and are talking about it immediately even before it was named. There are group discussions, the fan-sites light up, bloggers are offering their first born to the master of their 101 universe for more information, and you wouldn't believe the skype... one of the more notorious trolls was posting modded skyrim pictures and videos and had them all convinced it was entitled 'The age after man' a LOTR spin off portraying wherever the hell the fellowship went to after leaving earth to men. I think a few of the younger/slower ones are still convinced.

Then they get here, with all sorts of unchecked, unconfirmed/denied expectations in their head, The One Dev to Rule them ALL has told them what an amazing game this is going to be, a mecca the likes of which they've never seen before and.... very suddenly ... the voice from the sky boometh This game may not be for you. Grow a thicker skin or go away.

The general tone of ... well... just about everything now falls into one of two camps. "These degenerates messed with us and have no place in our society so let's drive them out" and "Screw this, if this game isn't for us then why was it sold to us so hard?". The sand rake waving mob has pretty much quieted down because now their 101 peers are shutting them down before they can fling the handfull they've been so carefully accumulating and I can't deny that the internal conflicts aren't rather amusing. Myself as well as others have appealed to some of the more respected 101 figureheads that have 'crossed over' into Crowfall territory to use their powers of propaganda to keep the flocking masses from working themselves up into a frenzy, and encouraging to keep their frustrations at bay until they can 'Play to crush' the SB camps once the game goes live.

How is this a shadowbane topic? I'm not going to flood the general forums with more us vs them crap. It has to do with the viewpoint of the other side of the coin to better understand another game community and go toward a more supportive community.

The Wiz 101 player and I were talking about how Wiz 101 players feel about crowfall thus far.

Edited by kickit

All this posturing is for not. Maybe before the Developers told us the countdown was not for Beta and merely just for some screens/gameplay video (assuming), then it might have mattered. Deeming this CROWFAIL until proven others. 

If I may...

Something you won't find about the 101 players on any website is that the involvement of KingsIsle in it's fandom has bread a sort of elitism that is almost 110% unique to the KI Clique, it's almost cult-like and it's drilled into most members if only from exposure. Fan sites, blogs, wikis, services... they're all somewhat pandered to with contests and events unique to them sponsored by the KI Devs as a thanks for the relaying of information, community management, and communications that are otherwise impossible in the actual game or on the official forums because of the moderation required to retain it's 'kid safe' and 'family friendly' image. As a result fansite creators and participants alike somewhat subconsciously make it their mission to educate. Whether it's right, wrong, speculation, or opinion they will pass on that information because they have been conditioned to do that.

They came along to Crowfall on the coat-tails of the great game provider and thought they were helping by passing along the information they had and self-moderating for language, which is what they do and are rewarded for back in the 101 fandom. The SB Camp didn't know this, all they saw was a bunch of 'carebares' telling them what to do and how to act and decided to flip them the bird, a reaction I'd probably mimic if I hadn't been part of the 101 community for long enough to know this behavior is canon.

It's not an excuse for their behavior but please imagine getting a pat on the head every day of your life for being an outstanding citizen, and then very suddenly everything you are doing is wrong and the 'patting hand' is telling you to grow a pair because this is how it's going to be in this neighborhood. That is what a lot of our community is trying to get their heads around right now. I doubt if they (initially) meant any harm, and this weird sort of ménage à trois could have been handled differently but the bridges are ablaze and while some work to combat the flames others from both SB and 101 camps are doing a naked rain dance on either side of the river.

Going forwards it's important to make sure that if you're going to throw stones to aim at the other chest thumping idiots and not the bucket line of people who are trying to extinguish the worst of the flames, and if you're in the line to help bridge the SB and 101 camps once again don't go throwing your face in the path of flying stones unnecessarily.

TLDR;

101 Camp - "We're not going to get pants on the heathens, but we don't have to eat their food."

SB Camp - "They have no idea what they're in for, let's wait for the winter to kill off the stupid ones before we engage the rest."

^--- this would be freakin perfect.

Edited by fawne

Seems like you guys might have bumped into a few youngsters.

I would not write an entire playerbase of an mmo off as being non-competitive especially without having experienced it.

It was a family friendly mmo that had a young crowd's attention for sure, but there are plenty of adult players involved in the w101 community who also have experience with games like DOTA, Lotro, WoW, Aion, Everquest, Starcraft, League of Legends etc... 

W101 had quite a learning curve in itself, Imagine the things that might take place during a 4 hour long 4v4 arena match...

Counting Cards

Opportunistic Flexibility in Adapting Strategies and Tactics to Situation

Evaluation of Constants and Patterns

Maintaining a constant watch on your teams and your opponent's resources

Risk vs Reward management

Deception and the "shaping" of a favorable outcome while not being obvious.

The Avoidance of being deceived and Shaped

Maintaining level heads inside communication ( 30 sec planning phases among 4 individuals ) Keep in mind this is a strategy game, not a reaction based game.

Research, obtaining foreknowledge about opponent's play styles

Anticipating opponents plays in order to maintain a lead.

tedious amounts of gathering all the right gear for all the right situations

Bluffing offensively in attempt to waste opponent's defensive resources

Bluffing offensively in a false defensive manner in attempt to lead opponents into letting down guards

There are many more examples but i think that makes a point. I am not claiming anything except that maybe there is more than meets the eyes to the W101 community. Once the game launches those who love it will stay, and those who find it too difficult will leave, in the end there will be your community.

I am excited.

Edited by ronin dawn

Ronin Dawn

The only game i've played at all after shadowbane that was even close to that was farmville. And that was just killing time at a useless job that blocked everything but facebook for some reason.

Hard to seriously imagine going from a dark game where you're sent hate tells all day while you're making each other miserable to a happy world like wiz 101. Would have to be either drugs involved or a brain injury.

No offense to your game, just not who we generically are as a player base.

But still, after saying that, the Wiz101 community is hilariously non-competitive

I can't be the only one who wants to just sit back for the first few weeks and watch everything implode for them. They're going to have to get competitive, and with a community that's all sunshine and rainbows, that's going to lead to all kinds of fun. Well, fun for us at least. Newsflash: you're going to have to kill people, and not all of them will be people you hate. If there's lots of fan-made sites and social media activity as posted above, I may have to keep an eye on it all just to enjoy the fallout of them all turning on each other.

Edited by vae victis

The only game i've played at all after shadowbane that was even close to that was farmville. And that was just killing time at a useless job that blocked everything but facebook for some reason.

Hard to seriously imagine going from a dark game where you're sent hate tells all day while you're making each other miserable to a happy world like wiz 101. Would have to be either drugs involved or a brain injury.

No offense to your game, just not who we generically are as a player base.

Ah nothing like the good ole days of killing some lvl 23 CN player and for the next hour get a constant stream of hate tells in Chinese and the only thing you understand in all of it is the numbers 23.

And for Wizardry players I'm not joking I would literally get hour long spates of hate tells from players that I killed while doing the rounds of one of the ice islands in SB killing all the leveling groups. That is what made the game fun.

Ah nothing like the good ole days of killing some lvl 23 CN player and for the next hour get a constant stream of hate tells in Chinese and the only thing you understand in all of it is the numbers 23.

And for Wizardry players I'm not joking I would literally get hour long spates of hate tells from players that I killed while doing the rounds of one of the ice islands in SB killing all the leveling groups. That is what made the game fun.

some guy was h8 telling me for a solid half hour after i killed him the other day.  just sad....

ezgzn8.jpg

lies. the turn based crap would keep you busy for weeks alone.

Too funny, too true though LOL

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

101 Camp - "We're not going to get pants on the heathens, but we don't have to eat their food."

SB Camp - "They have no idea what they're in for, let's wait for the winter to kill off the stupid ones before we engage the rest."

awesome lol

"Camouflage is the color of fear..  I have no need to hide from my foes.. I have no fear of death.  My colors I wear openly, they proclaim louder than any words, "I am proud to live, I am proud to die."

If I may...

Something you won't find about the 101 players on any website is that the involvement of KingsIsle in it's fandom has bread a sort of elitism that is almost 110% unique to the KI Clique, it's almost cult-like and it's drilled into most members if only from exposure. Fan sites, blogs, wikis, services... they're all somewhat pandered to with contests and events unique to them sponsored by the KI Devs as a thanks for the relaying of information, community management, and communications that are otherwise impossible in the actual game or on the official forums because of the moderation required to retain it's 'kid safe' and 'family friendly' image. As a result fansite creators and participants alike somewhat subconsciously make it their mission to educate. Whether it's right, wrong, speculation, or opinion they will pass on that information because they have been conditioned to do that.

They came along to Crowfall on the coat-tails of the great game provider and thought they were helping by passing along the information they had and self-moderating for language, which is what they do and are rewarded for back in the 101 fandom. The SB Camp didn't know this, all they saw was a bunch of 'carebares' telling them what to do and how to act and decided to flip them the bird, a reaction I'd probably mimic if I hadn't been part of the 101 community for long enough to know this behavior is canon.

It's not an excuse for their behavior but please imagine getting a pat on the head every day of your life for being an outstanding citizen, and then very suddenly everything you are doing is wrong and the 'patting hand' is telling you to grow a pair because this is how it's going to be in this neighborhood. That is what a lot of our community is trying to get their heads around right now. I doubt if they (initially) meant any harm, and this weird sort of ménage à trois could have been handled differently but the bridges are ablaze and while some work to combat the flames others from both SB and 101 camps are doing a naked rain dance on either side of the river.

Going forwards it's important to make sure that if you're going to throw stones to aim at the other chest thumping idiots and not the bucket line of people who are trying to extinguish the worst of the flames, and if you're in the line to help bridge the SB and 101 camps once again don't go throwing your face in the path of flying stones unnecessarily.

TLDR;

You have made a completely inaccurate generalization of KI official fansites, their operators, and the intentions of their operators. Yes, it's flattering, and yes, we love having things to give away to our listeners that we don't pay for our of our own pockets - which does happen sometimes. 

"There's no way at all to avoid the terror that is human kind" ~Tully Ackland

:D

Brilliant!!

0EwKtA1_zpsd4e84e28.png

Yea, I'm an Aracoix IRL