Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kickit

A wiz 101 perspective (on Sb'ers)

Hahaha

w101 community who also have experience with games like DOTA, Lotro, WoW, Aion, Everquest, Starcraft, League of Legends etc... 

W101 had quite a learning curve in itself, Imagine the things that might take place during a 4 hour long 4v4 arena match...

Edited by evald

W101 had quite a learning curve in itself, Imagine the things that might take place during a 4 hour long 4v4 arena match...

Counting Cards

Opportunistic Flexibility in Adapting Strategies and Tactics to Situation

Evaluation of Constants and Patterns

Maintaining a constant watch on your teams and your opponent's resources

Risk vs Reward management

Deception and the "shaping" of a favorable outcome while not being obvious.

The Avoidance of being deceived and Shaped

Maintaining level heads inside communication ( 30 sec planning phases among 4 individuals ) Keep in mind this is a strategy game, not a reaction based game.

Research, obtaining foreknowledge about opponent's play styles

Anticipating opponents plays in order to maintain a lead.

tedious amounts of gathering all the right gear for all the right situations

Bluffing offensively in attempt to waste opponent's defensive resources

Bluffing offensively in a false defensive manner in attempt to lead opponents into letting down guards

There are many more examples but i think that makes a point. I am not claiming anything except that maybe there is more than meets the eyes to the W101 community. Once the game launches those who love it will stay, and those who find it too difficult will leave, in the end there will be your community.

I am excited.

dem 12 hr banes doe

0EwKtA1_zpsd4e84e28.png

Yea, I'm an Aracoix IRL

Seems like you guys might have bumped into a few youngsters.

I would not write an entire playerbase of an mmo off as being non-competitive especially without having experienced it.

It was a family friendly mmo that had a young crowd's attention for sure, but there are plenty of adult players involved in the w101 community who also have experience with games like DOTA, Lotro, WoW, Aion, Everquest, Starcraft, League of Legends etc... 

Counting Cards

Opportunistic Flexibility in Adapting Strategies and Tactics to Situation

Evaluation of Constants and Patterns

Maintaining a constant watch on your teams and your opponent's resources

Risk vs Reward management

Deception and the "shaping" of a favorable outcome while not being obvious.

The Avoidance of being deceived and Shaped

Maintaining level heads inside communication ( 30 sec planning phases among 4 individuals ) Keep in mind this is a strategy game, not a reaction based game.

Research, obtaining foreknowledge about opponent's play styles

Anticipating opponents plays in order to maintain a lead.

tedious amounts of gathering all the right gear for all the right situations

Bluffing offensively in attempt to waste opponent's defensive resources

Bluffing offensively in a false defensive manner in attempt to lead opponents into letting down guards

There are many more examples but i think that makes a point. I am not claiming anything except that maybe there is more than meets the eyes to the W101 community. Once the game launches those who love it will stay, and those who find it too difficult will leave, in the end there will be your community.

I am excited.

Know your audience bro. Nothing you just listed off is gonna do anything but make a SB'er laugh his damn ass off.

2eyfm20.jpg

Ugh, you kids and your juvenile internet colloquialisms!

UWOTM8?

For reals though, PHX bane on Death was the longest bane I've ever been part of, something in the neighborhood of 16-24 hours iirc. I just remember leaving mid-bane to go to work and coming home hours later to find people still fighting over the stone. Really put that cute fluffy kitten on the chain-wax back then.

Edited by drenath-x-

2eyfm20.jpg

This us vs them stuff is pointless. The 2 games your talking about could not be more different. I remember SB near the end. Only a few hours a day of any real kind of population. Lets not scares these folks away. More sheep for the slaughter is never a bad thing. Just my 2 cents though.

Fine ya got me there, I will not play a video game 72 hours straight for the sake of entertainment. My point was not really about how many hours a day we played, I was referring to  the measurement that a single match may last in ranked player vs player, but it's all good. So do you like...set up your desktop and mini fridge next to the toilet or maybe install one of those pro gamer Ostomy Pouching Systems?

Edited by ronin dawn

Ronin Dawn

Fine ya got me there, I will not play a video game 72 hours straight for the sake of entertainment. My point was not really about how many hours a day we played, I was referring to  the measurement that a single match may last in ranked player vs player, but it's all good. So do you like...set up your desktop and mini fridge next to the toilet or maybe install one of those pro gamer Ostomy Pouching Systems?

drink mountain dew and re-purpose the empty container.

But getting back to the siege was usually a lull in PvP. When you died, you had "deathshroud" which put your hit points, attack rating, defense rating, and blocked all of your powers for 120 seconds, leaving you with some free time. plus when you respawned, you also had ~120 seconds of safe mode. 120 seconds isn't a lot of time, but you make it work.

Edited by headlight

I am sure some did. SB pushed me to play insane hours even after wall destruction was removed. I still didn't even come close to the hours that some put into it.

The game had just as much out of game thought required(more in some cases) as in game action so a lot of time is also dedicated to character/spec development and forum politics. You can lose everything if you lose on the boards in some cases.

C4sIZDW.gif