Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arthidon

Wanderers Cloak -Hide/cover Your Gear/archetype

Cloaks only hide so much. The champion is half-giant sized, the centaur STANDS OUT, the minotaur is going to be covored in fur that you won't be hiding...and you know horns on the head....the hamster is the only short one, the assassin has wings you won't be able to cover...

Honestly only a small handful of classes will be capable of making use of this even remotely; druid, templar, confessor, ranger, knight. every other class has large give aways even a cloak won't hide.

The best thing to make it more unknown is to have no prestige symbols and no health bars on enemies (naturally you should have them on allies). Having no health bars on enemies means not knowing if they are retreating due to low health or are just trying to peel you away. I would say that characters need to LOOK damaged however so there is at least a visual clue to them being under half health.

Edited by Nempo

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

As a anime fan I love the idea, and with the sit mechanic I have read about it would be fantastic. Imagine sitting somewhere doing what ever and someone comes up to you but they cant see your gear because of your "hood" or what ever and than they might attack you and bam you have awesome gear/lvl or what ever and solo said person. I think hiding your character items is a good idea. I remember running around dalaran inspecting people and seeing people with heroic awesome gear was so epic, being able to hide it or show it as you please is a nice idea.

Arrogance diminishes wisdom

Cloaks only hide so much. The champion is half-giant sized, the centaur STANDS OUT, the minotaur is going to be covored in fur that you won't be hiding...and you know horns on the head....the hamster is the only short one, the assassin has wings you won't be able to cover...

Honestly only a small handful of classes will be capable of making use of this even remotely; druid, templar, confessor, ranger, knight. every other class has large give aways even a cloak won't hide.

The best thing to make it more unknown is to have no prestige symbols and no health bars on enemies (naturally you should have them on allies). Having no health bars on enemies means not knowing if they are retreating due to low health or are just trying to peel you away. I would say that characters need to LOOK damaged however so there is at least a visual clue to them being under half health.

Well assuming this cloak is put into the game with the purpose of hiding your archetype then the devs could make it cover your weapon/quiver/holster so that people could not see your archetype. Of course, this way all the races will be mostly detectable except for the ones that are of similar height.

Going off track a bit with the idea... Say it was not a cloak.. but an illusion or trickery as someone said in an earlier post. You could be a Minotaur but look like a ranger so that an assassin could try and make quick work of you while stalking you but then they attack you and *boom* a Minotaur holding a massive axe. Of course, this would mean that the enemy would have to not be able to see that you have a buff that is an illusion.

I am not saying it has to be a cloak but I think a game like this where the players are the content... should have an option to be able to hide your class, or make yourself look like another character, or copy someones identity, of course all of these examples would require a high skill level in a related skill... not just anyone should be able to "hide in plain sight" so to say. 

This runs directly to the developers' clearly stated intention for archetypes to be immediately recognizable. I don't believe this is a direction they want to take the game in.

That has really nothing to do with this. They are talking from a design standpoint, that each archetypes armor and weaponry will be easily discernible from the others. This game will not have a lot of armor diversity so each archetype looking different is a big deal.  

Edit: The reason armor diversity will not be huge is because each set of armor needs to have its own look on every race. That takes a lot of money to orchestrate. Even games like WoW which bring in billions re-use armor sets so that they don't spend money making new ones.

Edited by Dacias

It would require people to think up of strategies on the fly.

"Thoughtful strategy" and "tactical improvisation" are both interesting things but they're definitely not the same thing.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

"Thoughtful strategy" and "tactical improvisation" are both interesting things but they're definitely not the same thing.

You're right. However, if this were to be implemented, ideally... it would be difficult to obtain the means of cloaking in this manner that way there aren't a mass of people doing it. It is meant to be a niche utility aspect of the game that could take PvP in new directions.

As has been stated by others, they don't just want the archetype to be identifiable easily on selection, they also want it identifiable in the field.

You want to surprise someone? Pick a stealth class.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

As has been stated by others, they don't just want the archetype to be identifiable easily on selection, they also want it identifiable in the field.

But this game is about being able to make all kinds of combinations. Thus you should be able to be a Stealthy tank if you so wanted. Might it suck? Yes! But the premise is that you have the choice and a varying meta. 

For example: A confessor with the Vampyre discipline. That might not be optimal but it is a choice that one can take.

Edited by Dacias

You're right. However, if this were to be implemented, ideally... it would be difficult to obtain the means of cloaking in this manner that way there aren't a mass of people doing it. It is meant to be a niche utility aspect of the game that could take PvP in new directions.

What I really hope that all of you get out of this is more the "Vision," all the little details are semantics and shouldn't be argue over. It would require R&D/Iteration to figure out what mechanics behind it exactly work. But the GENERAL idea I think could only add something dynamic/organic/interesting to game play. At least in my personal opinion. 

What I really hope that all of you get out of this is more the "Vision," all the little details are semantics and shouldn't be argue over. It would require R&D/Iteration to figure out what mechanics behind it exactly work. But the GENERAL idea I think could only add something dynamic/organic/interesting to game play. At least in my personal opinion. 

I agree with this.

I always thought a cool system/way to force player interaction/ way to remove the annoying floating name text was a cloak system that when you pulled your hood up you were basically "incognito" no floating name no player info... If you were in the safety of town or at your guild house you could pull the hood down and all your info is accessible

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

Ghost's of War, PvP gaming community founded 2002

I always thought a cool system/way to force player interaction/ way to remove the annoying floating name text was a cloak system that when you pulled your hood up you were basically "incognito" no floating name no player info... If you were in the safety of town or at your guild house you could pull the hood down and all your info is accessible

Oh man, that's actually a really cool idea. Would it stay up in combat? So you could kill someone and then they not know the name of the person that killed them? Oh, what if when you get killed the assailant could pull the hood down and see your name/info? That would be an awesome trait to be able to go "Incognito" for a sort of stealthy discipline.

Oh man, that's actually a really cool idea. Would it stay up in combat? So you could kill someone and then they not know the name of the person that killed them? Oh, what if when you get killed the assailant could pull the hood down and see your name/info? That would be an awesome trait to be able to go "Incognito" for a sort of stealthy discipline.

Yeah thats the general jist of it... Assassins and bandits could actually eliminate targets and steal things like bandits... Hits could be taken out on people and as long as the assassins were good, no one would ever know the killer or what guild they are from. But I do like the idea that once dead the hood can be "removed" and your info is then available. Which could lead to political backlash when certain guilds find out you have been hiring mercenaries to raid their caravans etc.

"He's like Batman except without the moral compass" ~Juror during first innocent verdict 

There could be a lot of counter play options to it as well. Players could maybe skill up in something to make it easier to see past "Incognito" mode or maybe take a trait or skill. This would promote some really interesting cat and mouse gameplay, especially if there is some sort of bounty hunting aspect to the game.

There could be a lot of counter play options to it as well. Players could maybe skill up in something to make it easier to see past "Incognito" mode or maybe take a trait or skill. This would promote some really interesting cat and mouse gameplay, especially if there is some sort of bounty hunting aspect to the game.

Yeah that would actually be a perfect small power for like the bounty hunter or royal guard discipline... Reveals incognito in a small radius

Yeah thats the general jist of it... Assassins and bandits could actually eliminate targets and steal things like bandits... Hits could be taken out on people and as long as the assassins were good, no one would ever know the killer or what guild they are from. But I do like the idea that once dead the hood can be "removed" and your info is then available. Which could lead to political backlash when certain guilds find out you have been hiring mercenaries to raid their caravans etc.

Damn, I would really be excited if Crowfall were to implement this. I love the Play/Counterplay ideas. In history war has never been just "Huge army vs. Huge Army", there have always been cogs turning the backround, whether it be spies, political conflicts, or a technology race. There is always more to war then just the fighting aspect and I hope that somehow Crowfall is able to capture that in way that it is fun for the players and I think this Incognito ability would do just that. 

Damn, I would really be excited if Crowfall were to implement this. I love the Play/Counterplay ideas. In history war has never been just "Huge army vs. Huge Army", there have always been cogs turning the backround, whether it be spies, political conflicts, or a technology race. There is always more to war then just the fighting aspect and I hope that somehow Crowfall is able to capture that in way that it is fun for the players and I think this Incognito ability would do just that. 

I appreciate your input :)  and yea I can just imagine. Reports coming in of enemy activity at one of the important resource nodes. But no one was around with high enough skill to Identify who they were. So then you would send out the scouts or bounty hunters. Meanwhile the leadership is theory crafting on who they are and how to respond in the meantime.

Totally. This doesn't seem like the kind of game where people are going to be running into the same predictable groups of enemies, to the point where it needs a new mechanic to shake things up. What problem is this trying to solve?

The downside could be that you need to level up a certain skill like "Scouting" or "Sneaking" to be able to wear the cloaks. Not everyone should be able to wear them. For example, I don't think that a whole army should be able to be cloaked.

Right, so once you've leveled that skill...what's the downside? And what would stop a whole army from cloaking up (once they'd had time to level up)?

If anything, this will de-value gameplay based on scouting and sneaking. Why bother doing recon if the only information you're going to get is "a bunch of cloaked figures are approaching"? Wouldn't it be more interesting if characters built around scouting were able to bring back useful tactical info to their combat-oriented buddies?

Right, so once you've leveled that skill...what's the downside? And what would stop a whole army from cloaking up (once they'd had time to level up)?

If anything, this will de-value gameplay based on scouting and sneaking. Why bother doing recon if the only information you're going to get is "a bunch of cloaked figures are approaching"? Wouldn't it be more interesting if characters built around scouting were able to bring back useful tactical info to their combat-oriented buddies?

I think your looking at suggestions like they solid game design. It seems like you may have a little tunnel vision on the subject friend. I don' think scout counter play would in any way devalue the game. It would add more depth. Though of course there are things that would work and things that wouldn't. Iteration would be needed and I agree an entire army cloaking up might be silly. There are a lot of ways to prevent that, but I am curious if you had any more input that doesn't involve just writing the idea off as invalid. I think stealth mechanics are slightly overdone and bland. I would like to see more than just stealth vs counter stealth IMO.

Thanks for your time  :)