Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chancellor

Paladin Class

Even though Warhammer online failed, I think they had a wonderful system for the warrior priest class. Attacking generated the resource you used to either heal or do more damage. This made you really feel like the paladin class since you were in the middle of all the fighting throwing out some spot heals or helping burn someone down. You couldnt just sit back and be the healbot.

With all this Lay on Hands talk - is it wrong that Bubble Hearthing was my favorite Paladin "ability" in WoW? 

Back in UO I liked to get off screen and chamber a Kal Ort Por...  then wait for someone to catch me, let them get close, then click my rune.  *Poof*

Edited by rhone

Seriously, let's bring Paladin back to it's roots shall we?

Paladin is a known title of the middle ages and used in the crusades and in fantasy novels it was used in much the same manner...a holy WARRIOR. A warrior does not sit and heal, a warrior heals when necessary (first aid...last second life saving) they are NOT medics. A paladin is a warrior first and foremost, heavy armor, heavy weapons, more stubborn than a dwarf, hardier than any centaur. They are the fulcrum of any army, the rock, the line that never retreats and pushes forward creating openings. In the fantasy world the Paladin is the warrior sheathed in holy fire, dealing mortal blows to the impure/evil easily, and being virtually immune to any affliction/de-buff you can think of.

Game mechanic wise? Templar is a tank archetype that wields 2 handed swords, sword/board, or spears if the one image is to be believed. Can use spiritual flame magic (blue/white ghostly flames rather than the orange elemental variety) on weaponry and likely for close range direct damage (think circle of fire, sanctifying ground, line of fire). Frankly the only "healing" I expect if the goal is to be any way Paladin-like would be self immunity to many affliction/de-buffs (likely focused on the ones favored by the undead/hunger enemies) and the ability to cauterize wounds using fire to instantly stop bleeds and a dispelling of magic that strips de-buffs off of people.

Paladins are not Clerics, you want to wear heavier armor and heal...then Cleric is the archetype you want, NOT Paladin.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

I like the idea of the war priest feel from Warhammer. Played hat and it was honestly a fun take. Personally I think with the Paladin stemming from Templar, Fire and Hunger protection seem like the most obvious power ideas. Would love to see them have Auras, that would allow for support without needing to sit back and cast. The Templar seems like a class meant to wade in and beat back the Hunger face to face, having a promotion that drops them back to cast seems wrong to me.

Love the idea that a priest doesn't have to be nice, or a paladin. Played a D&D campaign where the god of light main priest went crazy zealot and decided "light" meant a cleansing fire / burning all who opposed. Was a refreshing spin the DM created.

So for Paladin, I would love to see fire, auras, and some shielding abilities. Not a field medic per se.

Seriously, let's bring Paladin back to it's roots shall we?

Paladin is a known title of the middle ages and used in the crusades and in fantasy novels it was used in much the same manner...a holy WARRIOR. A warrior does not sit and heal, a warrior heals when necessary (first aid...last second life saving) they are NOT medics. A paladin is a warrior first and foremost, heavy armor, heavy weapons, more stubborn than a dwarf, hardier than any centaur. They are the fulcrum of any army, the rock, the line that never retreats and pushes forward creating openings. In the fantasy world the Paladin is the warrior sheathed in holy fire, dealing mortal blows to the impure/evil easily, and being virtually immune to any affliction/de-buff you can think of.

Game mechanic wise? Templar is a tank archetype that wields 2 handed swords, sword/board, or spears if the one image is to be believed. Can use spiritual flame magic (blue/white ghostly flames rather than the orange elemental variety) on weaponry and likely for close range direct damage (think circle of fire, sanctifying ground, line of fire). Frankly the only "healing" I expect if the goal is to be any way Paladin-like would be self immunity to many affliction/de-buffs (likely focused on the ones favored by the undead/hunger enemies) and the ability to cauterize wounds using fire to instantly stop bleeds and a dispelling of magic that strips de-buffs off of people.

Paladins are not Clerics, you want to wear heavier armor and heal...then Cleric is the archetype you want, NOT Paladin.

DUDE YOU'RE TOTALLY RIGHT!

Personally, I would like for the Templar to have some access to healing support. It should be something that you have to specialize in a bit though - could make a good Discipline choice.

I prefer my paladins as the hard to kill warrior and magic knight type, not the heavy armor wearing medic variant.

What I'd love for the crowfall paladin to become would be a melee damage class, but focused on magical damage.

Let use cleanse the Hunger (and the other factions) with fire.

Constant optimism will not solve your problems,

but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

To me a Paladin should seek out and destroy evil at every opportunity with the help of holy power.  He should be able to bolster himself, smite the wicked, and redirect that holy energy to helping his closest allies in their times of need (cures, armor buffs, maybe a light heal).  He should also be a hearty warrior with a strong conviction able to withstand many condition changing effects as well as poisons and diseases.  He may not be the hardest hitter or the most mobile on the battlefield, but chances are he will be one of the last ones standing through sheer willpower.   

I see it as a more melee defensive/supportive type of promotion class for the Templar. 

Edited by Belaz

Well, going by little snippets, short posts, and all of that.

Judicator and Fury will be DPS related on top of the evasion tank base.

Paladin will be mitigation tank built on top of an evasion tank base.

My description is more of a Fury or Judicator, Belaz's is looking closest to their view for Paladin in Crowfall.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

Doesn't have to necessarily be a mitigation tank.  Could be ward tanking, evading damage by negating attacks with shiny protection bubbles.  No need to heal if you never actually TAKE damage.

Even though Warhammer online failed, I think they had a wonderful system for the warrior priest class. Attacking generated the resource you used to either heal or do more damage. This made you really feel like the paladin class since you were in the middle of all the fighting throwing out some spot heals or helping burn someone down. You couldnt just sit back and be the healbot.

I agree the Warhammer online Warrior Priest was a pretty damn fun melee/support class to play. 

I really loved playing both the Warrior Priest and DoK in Warhammer. The mechanic really kept me engaged in what was going on, as well as set you up in some hairy situations being right in the thick of it. There was a lot of fun to be had in that game.

Sneak home and pray you'll never know the hell where youth and laughter go.

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

Paladin is linked to my pen and paper RPG (like DnD) more than Arthurian legend.

So I see them as protectors of "good" (in a religious meaning) with divine powers. They are divine fighters very effective against Evil forces.

"Powers" are:

• Heal others (lay of hands)
  • Revive others
  • Smite Evil (extra damage against Evil)
  • very good self buffs

And actually in Templar archetypes it will be cool to have a "Cleric". More Divine powers (could be heal/ dps/ buff) less fighting skills.

There is a confessor archetype but seriously, the presented archetype seems very Evil based ;p It is more a Evil Cleric trying to act good:)

Edited by berwars

And actually in Templar archetypes it will be cool to have a "Cleric". More Divine powers (could be heal/ dps/ buff) less fighting skills.

There is a confessor archetype but seriously, the presented archetype seems very Evil based ;p It is more a Evil Cleric trying to act good:)

To me the evil cleric feels more like it belongs with the Confessor archetype.  

I like to think of the paladin as melee combat with a lot of utility. The ideas about building up power through engaging in melee combat and then being able to spend it on utility like defensive/buffs/heals or simply burst damage appeals greatly to me.

It makes sense since Paladin is the same as Holywarrior. And if you break it down holy can be manifested as light/healing/protection & buffs, while warrior obviously hints at a focus on melee combat.

The classical MMO problem with character balance is that the Paladin often turns out to be either a mediocre at everything class that no one wants to play, or an overpowered monster that is immune, heals, wear heaviest armor and deals high damage that everyone wants to play. So I think the trick here is to make sure the paladin can't do all those things at once, but has to choose where to spend the power.

Blixtev did say he's considering Rage as a combat stat similar to mana, but opposite in its acquisition. 

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

I like the idea of a Holy Knight feel to the Templar. Lots of good examples in the thread, but I personally like the idea of some kind of power that builds up through combat. Fits well in a PVP game, and gives our combos a unique feel other classes will not have. I know the mobs are mostly to increase the threat level, but it would be nice to see Templar powers affect the different level of Hunger infection differently.

If I had to pick my favourite inspiration, I would say Warrior Priest from Warhammer. Was incredibly fun to play.

Nempo is right by everything I have read:

Templar (Paladin) = Tank (Dodge)

While I love the "agile tank" concept, it scares me to death...

Except for City of Heroes (even that is debatable), a dodge-based tank has always become second fiddle to a mitigation tank as the life of the game carried on. It came to a point where very few tanks were of the "dodge" variety at the end of the day. Because the systems of effectiveness are so dramatically different, balance will require loads of testing. 

I am hoping ACE can do it justice (pardon the pun).

Edited by Ebonith

BLACKHEART

A Crowfall Guild Specializing in RP-PVP