Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

To all you Shadowbaners out there

darkfyre

To those calling Wizard101 players casual or childish, I suggest that you give Castle Darkmoor a try.  The amount of teamwork, time, and dedication required is up there with perhaps even Dark Souls.  Most KI players who came over to Crowfall are serious, maxed out players who have passed difficult trials and bosses, forged friendships along the way, grinded endlessly for unique items, and are looking for something new. 

We are serious, and we are ready!

We look forward to seeing you in what this new realm has to offer!

"Cold Iron is the greatest of magics"

To those calling Wizard101 players casual or childish, I suggest that you give Castle Darkmoor a try.  The amount of teamwork, time, and dedication required is up there with perhaps even Dark Souls.  Most KI players who came over to Crowfall are serious, maxed out players who have passed difficult trials and bosses, forged friendships along the way, grinded endlessly for unique items, and are looking for something new. 

While I think everyone should have a fair chance, and be treated as equals, SB and DF players are not saying you are casual, childish, or inexperienced because of how hard a game is, or because of how dedicated you are, or they are to a game, but because DF and SB have partial loot / full loot / conquest, and open world PvP. 

EOWWuhQ.png 

To those calling Wizard101 players casual or childish, I suggest that you give Castle Darkmoor a try. The amount of teamwork, time, and dedication required is up there with perhaps even Dark Souls. Most KI players who came over to Crowfall are serious, maxed out players who have passed difficult trials and bosses, forged friendships along the way, grinded endlessly for unique items, and are looking for something new.

I am an avid wizard player, with six max characters, and I've been around since beta. Unfortunately, and no offense, this comes off as a bit more campy than assertive, and might spawn only ridicule. While I do admit that wizard is a very strategic game with it's difficult trials (screw you jabberwock), it has more of a patience factor than a difficulty factor. PvP is a strategic challenge to master, but it is VERY unbalanced, and just becomes a bit monotonous after learning how to deal with each class.

When it comes to difficulty, I believe that many KI players mistake patience with difficulty, for mob fights can take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes depending on your school. Also, why do we need attack threads like this? This is just poking a very, very excited bear, and one I would rather not have to start a pointless forum fight with. The best thing to do is to wait until the game comes out, and THEN we can see about the attack threads when we know what's what on who's skill level.

Remember kids, a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet!

Yes, your argument makes total sense, @rs_navlaan.  I'm speaking to those who feel the need to throw snide remarks our way simply because of the game's target audience and perceived difficulty.  Full loot PVP will take some adjustment, but that's for ANY player who is new to the scene.  Saying Kingsisle Karebears "can't handle it" is where it goes wrong.

Cheers! :)

@elemutation

Yes, I agree that this could come off as perhaps even hypocritical, but I am just trying to fight fire with fire by demonstrating a new perspective.  Just saying that we are seasoned, we are experienced, and we are ready to forge alliances together, regardless of past ties to other games.  I'm fighting a ram with another ram, I did not mean offense to either side in any way,

Edited by darkfyre

"Cold Iron is the greatest of magics"

Let's assume for a second that the game does have either perma death, full loot, or partial loot. I am sure players who have never experienced this type of setting, but like the game itself can learn, and adapt to it.

I think my fellow DF and SB players should wait to pass judgement on anyone until we are all actually in-game... and see for ourselves how everyone handles once everyone is settled in.

EOWWuhQ.png 

Let's assume for a second that the game does have either perma death, full loot, or partial loot. I am sure players who have never experienced this type of setting, but like the game itself can learn, and adapt to it.

I think my fellow DF and SB players should wait to pass judgement on anyone until we are all actually in-game... and see for ourselves how everyone handles once everyone is settled in.

Equally possible is that the game will have elements of Wizzie as well, which will present a learning curve for the non-magical. It goes both ways. 

Personally, I hope players will remember that we have a remarkable opportunity to help create a truly unique game experience for all of us. That, if nothing else, should help us to build a united community over the next few months. Consider the crowd sourcing opportunities with this group of beta players. Are we not the best of the best from our virtual worlds? Why yes, yes we are :)

I've taken the care bear label as a badge of honor. See my pretty care bear family up there in my avi pic?

Edited by iridianshadowweaver

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

Equally possible is that the game will have elements of Wizzie as well, which will present a learning curve for the non-magical. It goes both ways. 

Personally, I hope players will remember that we have a remarkable opportunity to help create a truly unique game experience for all of us. That, if nothing else, should help us to build a united community over the next few months. Consider the croud sourcing opportunities with this group of beta players. Are we not the best of the best from our virtual worlds? Why yes, yes we are :)

I've taken the care bear label as a badge of honor. See my pretty care bear family up there in my avi pic?

Oh, definitely. I was just using this assumption to support what was said up above.

Secondly, I have a theory that carebears are actually murderers, and hide their true selves in cuddly disguises. I see through your lies. I'm onto you.  :ph34r:

EOWWuhQ.png 

I don't think I would play an MMO that didn't offer partial loot (gold/inv; Full loot meaning all weaps/armor/gold/inv). Partial loot is where it's at. It's the middle ground that can potentially invite people in that aren't used to a looting system, while satisfying the hardcore PvP players that want to PK you and steal your things, like myself and the majority of SB players.

3322tkw.jpg

Yes, your argument makes total sense, @rs_navlaan.  I'm speaking to those who feel the need to throw snide remarks our way simply because of the game's target audience and perceived difficulty.  Full loot PVP will take some adjustment, but that's for ANY player who is new to the scene.  Saying Kingsisle Karebears "can't handle it" is where it goes wrong.

Cheers! :)

@elemutation

Yes, I agree that this could come off as perhaps even hypocritical, but I am just trying to fight fire with fire by demonstrating a new perspective.  Just saying that we are seasoned, we are experienced, and we are ready to forge alliances together, regardless of past ties to other games.  I'm fighting a ram with another ram, I did not mean offense to either side in any way,

To simplify things for you, while I don't necessarily engage in this type of behavior, I allow my subjects to do it on my behalf, but obviously we're trying to instigate wars and pvp for day 1.  We would genuinely love it if you folks came and showed us that we're not the only hardcore PVPers out there, please, come kick our asses.

If there's anything a SBer knows about, it's loss.  Every SBer has died, lost a city, lost gear, and that's how we want it, so please come show us what you can do!

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

I've never lost a city or died.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

This is my first encounter with the game W101.

It seems to be, at least to me, a strange mixture between a Final Fantasy combat system, with some Hearthstone elements, and a Dungeon Defenders art style.

Wizard101 seems to be based heavily on a knowledge based combat system, and not a skill based combat system.  Which is alright, but with a card drawing system, this introduces an element that is based on luck and chance, and I do not invite this into my PvP game.  I cannot talk to the KI crowd as a whole, I'm not so arrogant to assume all of you guys are inexperienced I am of course speaking to those who don't have much other MMO experience or have been with W101 for their entire online gaming career, no matter how short.  However, I will reserve judgement based on this video, since the players seem really relaxed, (assuming they're well geared?) hell they even talk about what they're posting on twitter during one of their fights, and this is the highest level content offered?  I see very little teamwork, (perhaps they've play together for a long time and just know what to do) Something you need to know about Shadowbane players, when they play, they play to crush.   They're very serious in fights, think current end game WoW raids, except they direct that same focus toward PvP.  TS and vent are silent for much of PvP, except for leaders and officers, calling targets for their respective groups, breaking silence only to draw attention to some new pressing development, we like to emulate militaristic command and control, and we do it well. 

You must understand why we think these types of posts are humorous, what with the kind of game W101 is, and I don't want it to sounds like I'm attacking you guys, I do so for jest, because of the oblivious way you guys respond "B-but we're just as good as you!"  I just can't help but feel that even the most top tier well organized players in W101, would be shocked away from how jarring a game like Shadowbane was, with people literally standing on the edge of peace zones waiting for you to step over than line to slaughter you, and will continue to hunt you multiple times just because you complained about them killing you.  Farming solo in Shadowbane was like some weird paranoia simulator, if you didn't have track you were easy pickings for anyone looking to pop you from stealth and steal everything you just farmed for the last hour.  If you did have track the moment someone appeared you would immediately /who and look up their class and level, and more times than not recalled to town to bank, that is if you caught them on track at the edge, and assuming they're not already descending on you.  Shadowbane was the first game I've played that actually had a built in KOS list, and truly catered to a specific type of player.  Not to say that all people that played Shadowbane were ruthless ****s, one of the most prominent noob friendly guilds, Dragonscale is maybe one of the few long standing guilds from SB that will decide to assist W101 players in finding their way.  Lord Steven enjoys his role playing, and it's always fun to see people respond in kind. 

Now I know that Crowfall will not be a Shadowbane remake, hell I hope it's better, but if it draws form Shadowbane, even a little of it's open world, unrestricted PvP, with it's full or partial loot and siege warfare then I fear to worst, because I do want both communities to find their niche in Crowfall, I by no means, wish to drive you or anyone from the KI community away, but there will be "Purist" guilds that will seek to make a name for themselves as a Shadowbane only guild, I myself will be looking for one as well.  The seemingly player made factions is what will make this game interesting, it's just I hope the KI faction can hold out against the grating personalities of SB players.  We chest thump, rage, yell, talk **** and talk better **** on the forums, and it's the forums that worry me.  SB players are not so used to being heavily moderated, this is already causing problems and will cause more, and even drive people to leave.  Shadowbane is a close community, that has "tried" to stick together despite not having a base game to call home, using SBemu forums for their banter for years until certain scandals arose, and split the community, but here and now, both sides seem to have come back into the fold.  The forums are in every sense an extension of the battlefield, and political wars are waged here, this is know as Forumbane.

I hope for everyone to be able enjoy Crowfall in their own way, and may you find victory and conquest where ever you go!

damn that got long fast

Edited by aperion

"Camouflage is the color of fear..  I have no need to hide from my foes.. I have no fear of death.  My colors I wear openly, they proclaim louder than any words, "I am proud to live, I am proud to die."

What you see in that video ^^^^^ is the level 100 dungeon. You can't even enter a Darkmoor instance below level 100. If the players in the video are relaxed and having a good time, it's because they are well-prepared in gear, deck, and strategy. THey likely planned that run in advance and spent time between battles discussing strategy and setting up specialized decks. Most who enter Darkmoor fail miserably; unless they know exactly what to do, and execute each play precisely, they will die quickly. There is absolutely no room for error in Darkmoor, which I love. One mistake releases a nasty set of penalties that are very, very difficult to overcome. 

Here's a good guide to show some what I'm talking about: http://www.duelist101.com/featured-articles/wizard101-castle-darkmoor-guide/

About the element of chance: Deck construction is an art. A good wizard will minimize the element of chance by building a deck that performs to his/her specific style of gameplay. 

Check out some PvP videos featuring excellent players, such as the Duelist 101 crew. No randomness in those matches. 

Honestly, I don't think the W101 peeps want to fight with y'all, so much as we would like mutual respect as fellow players of You-Know-Who's games. It's a bit frustrating to see the snarky comments about a game y'all haven't even played. Assumptions...

Edited by iridianshadowweaver

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

No offense, but you can't say "no randomness" in a card game.  Unless, it isn't drawing cards from a deck?  I admittedly haven't looked into W101.

Also, something the W101 folks are certainly not as prepared for, is just a more "adult" community.  And what I mean by that has nothing to do with maturity.  Think of SB forum posters as something of sailors/military folk.  They're crass.  They're obnoxious and offensive.  Most of it is done in humor, some is not.  Either way, a pirate ship isn't a place for playing nice.

My point is just that the W101 people getting upset that they're coming here from games like W and P 101, can't seriously think they will be immediately given mutual respect from these, metaphoric military units.  It would be as if you'd enlisted into some new military unit, and came in expecting to be treated like "just one of the guys" straight away.

Respect must be earned.  Usually, on the field of battle.  If not, then I pray your sophist guile can save you when broad swords sing.

Edited by mourne

plus one fer "sophist guile"...

/golfclap

well Played indeed... vocabulary points abound!

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...