Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stiviribar

So,only Our Face Huh?

Start customising body shapes and size and sooner or later some custardwit starts crying because that tiny femal char has a smaller hitbox than there down syndrome looking man-giant .

Yeah, it's too bad physique doesn't affect stats.

...ArtCraft?

Having easily available Height & Size Sliders in a game with player collision and friendly fire probably isn't the best idea. Tie it to stats, or make it it's own stat.

Size may be determined by base strength like in SB.  Every race and sex had a default size and depending on how you build your character it could grow dramatically.  Here is a pic of 2 aelfborn female.  I strength based, 1 dexterity based (min str).

5CcHQGC.jpg

There was an advantage to being huge in that your melee range was affected by your size as well as the weapons default range with daggers having the smallest and spears and polearms having the greatest.  I.E. a tiny female dagger warrior had a fraction of the range of a Minotaur spear warrior.  Conversely it made it easier to target you so there was a tradeoff.

Edited by BraveSirRobin

I don't care much, I'd like the minimum amount of customization required to give my character some style. Given the amount of non human races, I'd rather it just be a couple features. I would rather my cape, shield, armor or banner art be more complex that way I can be recognized on the battlefield rather than have angry eye brow options and face scars.

When you meet a real warrior on the battlefield you recognize him by his insignia, his color scheme, maybe a beast shaped helmet. The Hound had a vicious helmet, that's customization there, lion Helmet of Lannister, not facial hair of Angry Joe :-/

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I don't care much, I'd like the minimum amount of customization required to give my character some style. Given the amount of non human races, I'd rather it just be a couple features. I would rather my cape, shield, armor or banner art be more complex that way I can be recognized on the battlefield rather than have angry eye brow options and face scars.

When you meet a real warrior on the battlefield you recognize him by his insignia, his color scheme, maybe a beast shaped helmet. The Hound had a vicious helmet, that's customization there, lion Helmet of Lannister, not facial hair of Angry Joe :-/

I think this would be really good, but the devs have said that completely custom heraldry will be restricted to ruby+ backers. Guilds lead by players of lower pay level will probably have identical heraldry unfortunately. There will have to be some way to distinguish them other than that. I doubt there will be armour that can distinguish players, unless you can make your own custom cosmetics. Edited by Infynis

SR8DSig_Infynis.png

The_Hound%27s_Helmet.png

MMO's have come a long way and really don't know why people want to go backwards in development, limited character customization is just shooting yourself in the foot.

Plush, I don't think it's a step backwards.  I think not going all out with character customization is simply another way the developers are saying that this game is not for everyone.  I don't think Crowfall is a game that will appeal to those who want to spend 3 hours in the character creation screen.  I don't want to be the person to say what the game is or is not as I'm not a developer, but to me this game is about going all stabby on folks.  I couldn't careless, and I think most Crowfall players would eventually agree with me, what color eyebrows the dude laying dead on the ground had.

So again, it's not a step backwards; it's simply using their budget most efficiently.  We all can't have everything, or we'd have nothing.

Edited by Scribbles

[@--(o.O)@]

MMO's have come a long way and really don't know why people want to go backwards in development, limited character customization is just shooting yourself in the foot.

The limited character customization is not due to any design opposition; it's about funding. Building an in-depth character customization tool costs money, and ACE will get a lot more bang for their buck spending elsewhere. 

This game strives for AAA production values, but it is definitely not running on a AAA budget. They had to cut somewhere, and I would much rather they limit nose and eyebrow sliders than slash important game play elements. 

All these graphics details can potentially slow down gameplay during combat. Lag and involuntary disconnects are the biggest detractors to my game experience.

I can be happy with a game that works well regardless of fluffy graphics features.

I've always wondered if it was possible to have a setting "default faces only" so people with low power machines only need to render one kind of face. (this setting would of course, give everyone the same exact face (or perhaps 1 face for each sex/race combinations) )

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

There is nothing wrong with making tradeoffs for technical reasons, just because the game isn't using some recent technology, does not mean that it is suddenly obsolete due to not reaching tech quotas (although it is always nice to have that tech, don't get me wrong)

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

In SB your character model scale was determined by your physical attributes. If you wanted to be big, you needed to bulk up on the Con and Str. Makes perfect sense to me.

We're looking at the something similar here as a part of our choices have repercussions approach. 

As we said when we put this image out - it's a very early look at an early direction for our customization options for the core module. As development scales (And hopefully, budget) this will likely expand. 

People can ask and petition for Black Desert levels of customization but at this time we feel it's important to allocate our resources wisely and revisit areas that can be expanded on at a later date. It would be bad to come out with the best character customization system in the world if the game suffers to make that happen. 

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

I believe people are referring to body sizes but then again this ain't no roleplaying game, considering the gaming system, I am already surprised that they offered so many options for customization.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

I can't remember the last time triple A production values meant anything other than trash, so I'm not worried about that at all, as a crowd sourced MMO, it's expected that they cut the fat and focus on making a good game, not another soulless doll glamoured up to get fools to buy bases on box art and trailer fidelity.

I'm glad much of the team has triple A production experience, but the values are plainly and thankfully in opposition to the conformist, imitation, vampiric and dishonest production "values" of the triple A industry, that the entire appeal of avoiding major publishers and producing the game for the consumer, from the consumer funding.

Let's not get it backward, and if making a great game means dialing down the graphics, that's just intelligent. There were better looking MMOs with then more popular franchises when WoW released, and its been surpassed in graphics forever, there are things you learn about practical game design that matter.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

We're looking at the something similar here as a part of our choices have repercussions approach. 

As we said when we put this image out - it's a very early look at an early direction for our customization options for the core module. As development scales (And hopefully, budget) this will likely expand. 

People can ask and petition for Black Desert levels of customization but at this time we feel it's important to allocate our resources wisely and revisit areas that can be expanded on at a later date. It would be bad to come out with the best character customization system in the world if the game suffers to make that happen. 

What about piece mailing simple pieces of work out to the community? Giving us micro tasks to accomplish utilizing common/cheap software and if we don't do it -- fine. No harm done. But if we do the work -- the whole community and the game benefits. Of course I know crap about game design and this may not even be entirely possible. Just a thought.