Kell

Templar Promotion Classes

The degree to which they are linked, and the prevalence of those links (i.e. how many promotion classes will actually be linked directly to specific weapons like the bow) are all unconfirmed at this point.  

Actually they have said 2 things which make my statement hard to refute.

Classes will be identifiable by the silohettes and prestige classes will be identifiable by the weapons. That is the intent of the vision. To make people identifiable quickly so you will know what they are capable of at the basic level. IE: A heavy armored guy with a long flowing cape runs at you from afar. You know it is a knight now. They get closer and you see a sword and shield. You now know what he is capable of, how he will use those capabilities is another matter though. This is the design decision they are heading in intentionally. So...yeah the weapon is important, very important.

Disciplines can get us different weapons, and certain armors will make players look different also.

I think your post is an overgeneralization, and I think that the weapons shown were just examples (except for the Fury).

Most likely, toons will have to skill up in the weapons they choose, and that will lock them to those choices (because you wanna use what you trained with).

Disciplines can get us different weapons, and certain armors will make players look different also.

I think your post is an overgeneralization, and I think that the weapons shown were just examples (except for the Fury).

Most likely, toons will have to skill up in the weapons they choose, and that will lock them to those choices (because you wanna use what you trained with).

Hence to become a paladin (to even unlock the promotion) you have to train your 2h mace/maul skill. That is how promotions unlock and become available, they have hinted at it. You have to train the base things up to become it.

Actually, look at the names of the discipline runes they have given us so far. Not a single one is weapon specific. Our armor? They have already said your class will have a distinctive look that others cannot replicate. You won't be a minotaur standing in knight armor, you will be a minotaur in minotaur armor. They want us to be identifiable.

Sure some of us (myself included) sees a rune called beserker and immediately thinks of axes...yet that is our own association. More likely the rune will increase health regen, max health, and give some resistances to snares/slow/and some direct damage resistance like ignoring the first 10 points of damage from an attack.

The only rune I saw in the list that looks like it may associate with a weapon directly, is a weapon many archetypes have access to anyway, Swordsman and thus linked to swords. You want to use the rune? Better be a promotion class that uses swords or you may have no use for the active skill(s) it gives you.

Your choices have consequences in this game. You really really want to use a specific weapon, find a class/prestige combination that uses it. This being how they have presented everything up tot his point, it is best to not get our hopes up for anything beyond that as it stands right now.

The Archetype of each character sets an initial maximum amount for each starting skill. For example, the Legionnaire can raise his Polearm skill to 100.

Taking an Advantage at character create such as “Military Training” can raise this max to 110.

If that Legionnaire promotes to Centurion, it raises the skill max by an additional 40 points (to a total of 150).

Finally taking the “Executioner” Discipline will raise the max by another +25, giving him 175 maximum Polearm skill.

The character can now passively train to 175 skill in Polearm.

I will also have to find the Dev response that said the prerequisite to use a weapon would be tied to the basic class, but I could be wrong...and probably am...

I have no problem admitting that.

I think you are right though, it says in the picture up on page one, 'specialize within your character role'. To me that sounds like specializing in something you can already use. But I may just be focusing on the minutia.

the templar would be the perfect toon to get a power that will light the weapon on fire & cause a small fire dot. it will fit with the GoT thing also & bring to this game the SB fire group of fessors & templars, prolly OP.

That is a Storm Spear, like the Furies in Shadowbane used.

Templars will probably start with polearm talent possible, and have to train it (and other talents) up to 100% in order to promote to Fury

CharLifetimeLayout_RC2.png

is there one of these images made for each archetype somewhere?

is there one of these images made for each archetype somewhere?

There is not, There are however promotion classes named in the game itself. Correct me if im wrong but from what we've been hearing, promotion classes wont be available at soft launch either and will take multiple months of passive training in a single archetype to receive a promotion

Edited by Uyathefox

are the promotion classes finalized or still up in the air?

obviously with a name like mine Conqueror will be high on my list of played chars. templar of some flavor will also be up there.

Edited by Kalus_Konkwest