Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
patski14

Cooldowns Or Resource Management?

Have we got any word on this already?

Would we rather want Cooldowns or resource management? (ESO) or a mix something like, Powerfull abilities have cd while others can be spammed with enough resouces and the right management?

Discuss. 

ummm....both?

i say that merely because that's what we had in SB...there were some timers on certain things, and no timers on others

the Player had to manage both in real time during combat....all part of the Game

i don't see why not both for CF, does it have to be either/or?

if so...why?

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

spamming doesn't sound exciting in any context

Well usually its a trade off. Ability's that can be spammed, though not indefinitely, are generally lower power than other ability's. But yeah a mix of both is what we will likely see. Its been my experience with other games that use action based combat to have a mix of both.

Well usually its a trade off. Ability's that can be spammed, though not indefinitely, are generally lower power than other ability's. But yeah a mix of both is what we will likely see. Its been my experience with other games that use action based combat to have a mix of both.

Just no potting please xD. I cant stand it with such passion lol. I mean it wont prevent me from playing the game, but i just feel it takes away from the whole point of having support skills and player skill in general.

krevra.png

What the Doc said.

Usually if you have any questions about Crowfall, check if SB had it. ACE is getting alot of their inspiration from SB.

Though i wouldn't follow that line of logic with the combat system. SB had tab target style combat no? CF is going for aim based action combat so don't see how much if anything relates combat wise from SB.

Though i wouldn't follow that line of logic with the combat system. SB had tab target style combat no? CF is going for aim based action combat so don't see how much if anything relates combat wise from SB.

Very true. I was just saying in general, ACE's inspiration comes from SB.

They have said their inspiration for combat is mainly a mixture of Tera, Wildstar and GW2. Basicly a mixture between free-flowing and animationlocked combat with telegraphs (altough telegraphs are heavily debated on the forum)

Just no potting please xD. I cant stand it with such passion lol. I mean it wont prevent me from playing the game, but i just feel it takes away from the whole point of having support skills and player skill in general.

Well limited potting yes. Cooldown on potions is pretty important for a PvP game IMO.

I agree with this so much. However, considering the telegraph system they seem to be aiming at, hopefully they're taking a page from newer MMOs.

CD based is usually more fun and easier to handle for newer players, managing a mana bar isn't exciting at all. Unless you use a system like energy, rage and such, and it still has to be handled properly.

LW_sig_concept5.jpg

Through the Hunger and Darkness, might our Light shine through...

- (Future) Character name: Ydriel -

Pretty sure it got discussed somewhere but, im all for CDs, i cant stand resource management, which often times comes down to potting.

Nothing but good things can come from completely leaving pots that give mana and health in the middle of combat out of the game. Such things are really just a pain in the ass and one more thing to remember in a fast paced battle. Seriously if you want consumable things that increase health and mana regeneration give me some kind of food/nutrition system that doesn't require me to use it every X seconds/minutes.

But I say cooldowns AND resource management. In a game like the original Guild Wars where there weren't consumables that proved to be an incredibly fun combo. IMO any in-combat ability with a cooldown longer than a minute is too long.

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

Nothing but good things can come from completely leaving pots that give mana and health in the middle of combat out of the game. Such things are really just a pain in the bottom and one more thing to remember in a fast paced battle. Seriously if you want consumable things that increase health and mana regeneration give me some kind of food/nutrition system that doesn't require me to use it every X seconds/minutes.

But I say cooldowns AND resource management. In a game like the original Guild Wars where there weren't consumables that proved to be an incredibly fun combo. IMO any in-combat ability with a cooldown longer than a minute is too long.

Fair enough, GW1 did have really good resource management with out the need of potting 

krevra.png

Which one do you prefer: global or per ability cooldown?

I personally prefer a mix of both. Resource management + GCD + some individual ability cooldowns.

Although, I would be interested in trying no GCD if it's done right and the combat doesn't become a spamfest.

7ug90hM.png