Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IdeaMatrix

Crafting Creativity: A Thought Exercise

So this is a thread to stimulate the creative process in the Crowfall community.

A few questions to get the creative juices flowing.

1) What game had your favorite crafting experience?

2) What was your favorite crafting profession?

3) Why was it your favorite?

4) What, if anything did the experience lack?

Then if you have time:

A ) Come up with a cool new crafting profession, name it and explain how it works. (This can be as simple or detailed as you want it)

B ) Come up with something new for an existing crafting profession.

C ) If you could choose 1 crafting profession to be the only one you could use for the rest of your real life (in every game you played), what would it be? Why did you pick that one?

...annnnd GO!

Edited by IdeaMatrix

1. None never been much of a crafter ( never been much of a fighter either) I not know why I play games.

large.png?1427076055

http://thetradecompany.shivtr.com/

1) What game had your favorite crafting experience? Starwars Galaxies.

2) What was your favorite crafting profession?  I did weaponsmithing.

3) Why was it your favorite?  It wasn't just simply the crafting, it was the exploring to find the correct resources, and in abundance, setting up harvesters and gathering (I forget the actual skill name), then using the resources you found to craft the items for different qualities, and experimenting to better them and just... so good.

4) What, if anything did the experience lack?  I found it challenging to peddle my wares.  I wasn't in a guild of any sort and still sold a good amount of vibroknuckles and everything else...  but that was the only thing I found wanting.

1) What game had your favorite crafting experience? SWG

2) What was your favorite crafting profession? Potions/Alchemy (recently) in the past always been weapon-smithing

3) Why was it your favorite? Pots for profit (recently)... but in weapons getting that great pattern, being known as the guy that has a good rep

4) What, if anything did the experience lack? - I would love to have been able to adjust more of the 'look' of the weapon not just the attributes

Don't forget, the one EK that no one will judge you for looting your guilds treasury is Anhrez's Doober Shack. Where you can take those long con gains and 'simplify' them to more easily fit in your inventory. While you are unloading your hard earned winnings, swing by the Bazaar and pick up something to celebrate your genius.

LR0tCJt.png

Ultima Online. Before you call me crazy, I think SWG had a BETTER crafting experience than Ultima Online but, the game that I had the best experience in was UO. UO had something for me that SWG didn't and that was community. Housing was a very limited resource in the early days of OSI and location was key to the success of any shop owner. It wasn't just about the kind of crafter you were and how much time you spent working up your skill. It was also the danger involved in collecting resources, since you could be murdered and looted the second you walked out of town. In the early days reaching GM in a crafting skill not only meant that you were better than most of the people on your server but, it also meant that people who purchased your items got to see your name and that carried weight. Even the most notorious PK'ers in the land would show respect to their favorite crafter. In the end, when we've mastered the difficulty, it's the respect a crafter wants. 

Bio Engineer from SWG

It was the most unique and involved of all the crafting professions I've tried in the past. It was a super difficult grind (at least in the beginning) but, the grind had meaning to it and the process was both very dangerous and highly rewarding. With other professions, you got to make nice items for other people but, with Bio Engineering you got to play god.

I wouldn't say it was lacking but, it definitely could have had more tiers of complexity or a broader spectrum of choices.

A ) Come up with a cool new crafting profession, name it and explain how it works. (This can be as simple or detailed as you want it)

Soul bending - A crafting profession that uses collected souls to craft soul gems which grant temporary buffs to players and items. This crafting profession uses the collected souls of other players as it's main resource. The quality of the souls collected depends on the difficulty of the campaign they are collected in and how much of the kill the player contributed to. Solo killing other players in the Dregs will give the highest quality of souls.

Siphons - Unique and rare items that can only be found in the Dregs. These items allow crafters to imbue their items with the ability to siphon a very small portion of currency, proficiency, resources or materials from players that use their items. Each siphon has a specific purpose and only lasts until the item breaks. Siphons can work from the Eternal Kingdoms or in the same campaign but, not across different campaigns.

I think this could be an interesting mechanic that would add another level of strategy to guild team play and also give crafters the ability to gain resources while in the Eternal Kingdoms. The rareness of the Siphons would prevent them from being farmed effectively but, a dedicated crafter can build up a steady source of income by trading for them and including them in the items that they sell. Since they only last as long as the item lasts, it would prevent the stream of income from being unlimited and designers could balance it by either putting a cap on how many a player could gain benefit from, or adjusting the percentage chance for the items to proc. 

C ) If you could choose 1 crafting profession to be the only one you could use for the rest of your real life (in every game you played), what would it be? Why did you pick that one?

Fishing/Trapping/Gathering (I'm counting those as 1 because they serve the same purpose) - In my opinion, no matter what game or scenario you might be in, the ability to gather food for yourself or others is the most versatile and basic ability to have. This type of crafting skill often provides other useful items and in some cases very valuable items and has the added benefit of being very relaxing.

Even though these skills are often overlooked, I think (they/it) would be the best choice if I could only choose 1.

Edited by IdeaMatrix

As far as the fav part - SWG - but most of you already know that :P .

Thrall binding.  Crafting with thralls as the main raw material. 

Thralls already can be used to imbue items with special attributes and also as NPC's such as vendors.   I'd like to see players be able to combine souls, alter them with regular resources, twist them into a soul that does something greater than the sum of the parts. 

Thralls could then be used for all sorts of things.  Embedding extra strength into walls, allowing a caravan wagon extra speed or make it able to carry a heavier load. Souls could alter food impact, allow for tougher gear - the applications are pretty wide.

Weaponsmithing

Have a destruction action.  I know that sounds confusing.  Imagine a 1v1 PvP battle and player A's sword is getting damaged.  Mid fight it's pretty clear that the sword is taking so much damage that it's going to break.  When it breaks the destruction of the sword triggers an action of some kind. 

Perhaps it explodes, causing damage to everything within a 5 meter radius. 
Maybe it causes a small defense shield in the holder for 10 seconds.

How about it auto-damages one piece of the opponent's gear?

The main thing about this mechanic is that you truly don't know what your opponent is holding.  Yes it's a sword but it may or may not have a destruct action built into it.  There will be folks hacking at a tree mid fight to get their own weapon destroyed faster or folks attacking in ways that won't damage an opponent's weapon because they've found out that it's a bomb upon destruct.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

Weaponsmithing

Have a destruction action.

Or you could have it so players would have sort of a panic button feature. Something that would destroy the item whenever you wanted to but, you'd gain the benefit. One benefit that I thought about was having some sort of escape mechanic for crafters that are getting ganked. Sort of a "recall" feature. You have a pair of ruby slippers but, instead of giving you movement speed...when you click them together they teleport you 100 yards away and force you to drop combat so you can mount up and run like hell!

Trapper Discipline - Booby Trap Expert - This might be a specialty of a Ranger type character.  (Or a fun rune to find)

Since potentially some of the Crowfall win conditions will be holding the most land, forts, etc.  I would love to see a booby traps make their way in game as a line of defense. As well as this could be potential useful for food gathering.  

This crafter would be responsible for making pressure plates - that when stepped on could trigger, flying arrows, razors, land mines, giant rolling boulders, or a release of hot lava towards the enemy. (etc etc etc)  Really the possibilities are endless as to what pressure plates could trigger.

This crafter would be responsible for levers or switches that could be used to activate any of the previously mentioned awesomeness.

This crafter could make trip lines with bells to announce an incomming attack.

This crafter could craft spiked posts for various uses.  

This crafter could make spiked pits and be able to lay brush over the openings to send foes falling to their doom.

This crafter could rig snare traps to unsnag an unwary foe, or creature (useful for food to fight off the hunger)

This crafter could rig ammunition to explode causing cave-ins in the tunnel systems.

This crafter could craft fish traps to help capture food (if fishing is a thing)  Beware of poachers!

This crafter could craft cage traps to capture larger prey.  (good luck holding it)

Dunno just some random rambling thoughts.

1) What game had your favorite crafting experience?   SWG

2) What was your favorite crafting profession?  Tailor. (SWG)  In other games I tend to make things that are always needed,  like backpacks and such.

3) Why was it your favorite?  I like to look different from the crowd. In SWG I changed my costume constantly (still do in TSW).  I like to mix and match different pieces to make a better look than the original stock pairings.  Mostly I like to fill a need, and with item decay being used in CF, I'm sure I'll be happy whichever branch I go down.

4) What, if anything did the experience lack?  You know, it's been so long all my remaining memories of SWG are shiny.  I'm sure I had issues with things, but I don't recall them.  In the broader spectrum, my biggest difficulty with crafting in MMOs is the lack of relivance. In most games crafters don't feel vital or important.  I want to play a MMO where crafters are sought after! (fingers crossed with CF)

I pretty much hate every crafting system in ever game I've played. Grindy mini-games to pump up skills so I can get that ONE THING that will make me better just always set my teeth on edge. If I have to pick a crafting system I hate least it's WoW. No mini game, just shove my things into a recipe and get a skill point out. Crafting also put you at a competitive level if you couldn't grind dungeons and gear, until you could grind dungeons and gear.

Fishing. Fishing to date is my favorite pass time in just about every game I play. There's something relaxing about standing over a fake looking pool of water that's lapping far too loudly for being mill-pond-still just working on a glittering node of deviate-fish.

Second verse same as the first. That and it lead to more PVP encounters where I whupped someone's butt with a fishing pole than I can recall. RP PVP servers FTW.

More derpy PVP?

Then if you have time:

A ) Come up with a cool new crafting profession, name it and explain how it works.

Charicatureism - you set up a booth besides the opening of the tavern with a stool, a few props, some white hide and a wick of charcoal. For a loaf of bread or a cold beer you draw their face completely out of proportion and in a hilarious manor. If they want it framed they'll have to pay actual gold.

Uhhhh...... I'll edit this in when I go figure out what we've got.

Fishing. For fishing-pole PVP.

Edited by fawne

Minecraft

N/A

Logical yet Simple grid system crafting, memorizing recipes added to efficiency and speed of being able to complete projects, Redstone circuits opened up automation capabilities. Mods later on opened up even more creative systems.

Lacked resource diversity and skill gains for character progression.

Then if you have time:

Intelligence Master - Collects and distributes wanted posters (associates bounties etc) and guild base locations and game world map updates. Players can sell key locations of resources within a game world to be published in documents. Also could use tailoring sub crafting to make disguises (spy materials) even poisons and other subterfuge materials (to poison a guilds food supply) etc. Disguises would trick enemy players into seeing you as a friendly (name goes green instead of red) etc. (Think Team fortress 2 spy items) *Can also create items that are anti-intelligence (stealth/disguise revealing buildings etc)

Mining Discipline can use blacksmith created materials to make fast travel rails and rail carts to quickly transport mined materials to a player constructed quarry.

Alchemist - Transmutation

Edited by Vitality

I have to admit that some of my favorite crafting puzzles have come from minecraft. I'm a big fan of figuring out new ways to automate things. From buildcraft pipes to Applied Energistics. I don't know if there will be a way to automate things in Crowfall (I kind of doubt it) but, if there's a way you can be sure I'll find it.

UO. Having never played SWG I could not tell you how I would have favored that system. I thought that UO did things so well. Mining anywhere there was a cave or mountain, harvesting wood from any tree. Veins of specialty ores (once their positions were randomized and no longer static) kept the rare ores rare. Bulk Order Deeds awarded some really cool cosmetic and useful items and acted as a HUGE resource sink, which every game needs.

Blacksmithing. Follow-up of Inscription.

I thought that Blacksmithing was the most useful of the skills, as it incorporated all metal armors and weapons into one skill. Inscription though was a skill that not only was extremely useful (as there was a consistent market for spellbooks and scrolls) but also incredibly interesting as it provided passive benefits to certain spells. I also felt that was something that was really cool about the poisoning skill.

Some of the crafting skills were more flavor than practical. Cooking, for example. Most people simply carried around fish steaks because they were cheapest and most plentiful. While the game had a basic mechanic that encouraged eating, I think that even the cooking profession could be useful in Crowfall with the survival mechanics they are talking about.

Then if you have time:

A ) Come up with a cool new crafting profession, name it and explain how it works.

Runesmith. This is mostly an application of the enchanter when it comes to items, but I also envision the runesmith as a trap creator. Why limit inscribing runes to boost ability onto armor or weapons. As was discussed above, the runesmith could add effects that result in the destruction of the piece. Additionally, they could inscribe runes upon the very ground to create traps!

I think it would be incredible if people doing tailoring, or armorsmithing, or weaponsmithing could build their own designs with an in-game tool and then make items with those designs built in. Tailors could stitch incredibly complicated and beautiful robes/capes (which would help cement their brand). Armorsmiths could engrave their armor with patterns and designs. Weaponsmiths could do the same with their weapons.

For this, think something like the community creations of CS:GO (for weapon designs), except they would be able to be loaded into and created in the game immediately.

Also, taking more inspiration from CS:GO, I think that these patterns could decay over time. They would move from "Factory New" condition at the start to "Well-Worn" before eventually breaking, creating a continued need for new items and a client base for the crafter. While designs could be copied by other crafters who make the same design in the design tool, they would need at least the basic skill to be able to match the original crafters artwork and design, keeping the truly talented artists on a whole other plane.

Edited by Criminy

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

I think having totally creative items would be hard to implement but, something you said might be doable. The physical decay of an item could show up via a randomized wear system that would put holes or dirt or rust on items that were breaking down. That way players could see when their own or other people's gear was about to die. A slight strategic insight.

Frankly, I agree. I think that it would be very difficult to implement. Not to mention the possibility for abuse. I can only imagine how many people would be running around with penises on their gear.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

So this is a thread to stimulate the creative process in the Crowfall community.

A few questions to get the creative juices flowing.

none got it right.  diplomacy in vanguard and entertainer in swg came closest even though they weren't crafting professions. but they demonstrated that non-combat activities can actually be challenging and require player skill.

weaponsmith in swg.

i got to make my own gun, yay.

actual skill.  any idiot with the same materials would have made the same exact gun regardless of being good at the game.

Then if you have time:

Archeologist/Cryptographer 

Hieroglyphs and other ancient drawings spawn in dangerous and unstable locations throughout the world.   By learning different ancient languages and interpretations, you build a book knowledge (unique to you), different skills and buffs allow you to access the items in your book faster and thereby give you a better chance to translate a particular drawing before the location collapses.   Translating a drawing yields recipes for items or components that can then be used by other crafters or mages (in the case of spells).

Techinical:  drawings would be randomly generated, so no two would ever be identical.  You would actually have to be good at the ancient languages and at quickly using your knowledge book to help with the translations.  

Combat usefulness.  For example, your castle is under siege (either by PvE or PvP opponents) - your scouts obtain "secret messages" by killing opponents.  These can be translated by your archeologists/cryptographers (as described above).  Each translation grants your castle a buff in the siege.  The proficiency at which your crafter translates the pages (if they even can crack the code) determines how much buffage you get.

This same idea can be applied to any crafting profession so long as it has a player skill component.  (i.e. a stonemason can help repair walls, a carpenter can make additional arrows)  

Assuming Archeologist is not available, i'm probably go with Weaponsmith.  Always been drawn to the idea of making slaving forever to make an amazing weapon that no one else can make.  It never happens, but i keep hoping one day.

answers in bold.

Will there be a way for crafters to put a hallmark on their products so the point of origin/creator can be identified?  Since the crafting specialist is a support niche, and a valuable asset to a monarchy or guild, it would help to be able to do a bit of 'advertising', as it were, so that a crafter could position his/herself well within the game.  

1) What game had your favorite crafting experience? Dark Messiah

2) What is your favorite crafting profession? Smithing

3) Why was it your favorite? Who doesn't like swords and armour?

4) What, if anything did the experience lack? Wasn't multiplayer and the crafting wasn't really necessary, just a side quest basically. The same creators of that system were bought by Bethesda and i can't fathom why they never used arkane studios crafting/battle mechanics over their clunky horrible one, unless it was impossible because of their crappy engine that's 20 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_zIgTWWQJM

Discipline

Crystal Forger-

'I shall divide between soul and spirit' -Tl'ok Tsun, Father of the Crystal Forge.

For millennia, craftsmen worked with fire and hammer to forge better metals, arriving to make metals harder and stronger without sacrificing resilience. Make an alloy too hard, and it becomes very sharp, but brittle as glass.

The answer came as Tl'ok Tsun was instructing a group of novitiates in in the Arrest incantation, having them halt a falling glass midair. A less-than-promising student conflated the Arrest incantation with a Spirit Bind incantation. The resulting spell killed the student, draining him of life, leaving an empty husk. Tl'ok, though, found the glass more interesting. It didn't break when it struck the stone floor, and until he had a knight strike it with a mace repeatedly, it wouldn't break.

Tl'ok abandoned teaching and devoted the rest of his life to understanding this new magic. After 186 years, the Crystal Forge was brought forth. Using tools summoned from otherworldly realms through incantation and magic concentrated in spirit gems, Tl'ok could forge glass, crystals, and precious gems into weapons and armor stronger and sharper than any metal. The Masters of the Academy were astounded, until they learned the terrible cost. The Crystal Forge used the souls of men as fuel. Tl'ok had slaughtered hundreds to complete his research. Shocked beyond words, the Masters had Tl'ok executed, but ideas do not die so easily. The secrets of the Crystal Forge have been passed down through the Disciples of Tl'ok for centuries. Now, they have come to you.

Jacksmith. It's just a free online game, not an MMO. If you haven't played it, and you are a crafter, play it (it's free on armorgames).

2) What is your favorite crafting profession? You are a blacksmith, that's what the game is about.

It is literally all about crafting skill.

Here's how it works:

Say you've been asked to make a sword. You select the ore you use (doesn't matter, you just need enough to make a sword). You drop the ore into your smelter and YOU use the bellows to control the temperature to smelt the ore (don't get it too hot). YOU then pour the molten metal into a mold (can't be too fast or the sword will come out wrong). YOU then hammer the sword (you can only strike so many times before the metal cools, so direct your bliss carefully, but don't take to long). YOU then add the crossguard, grip, and pommel (but you most be sure to align them with the center of the sword). Each mistake degrades the quality of the item.

I like that because if you get a perfect item, it is because YOU made the item. It isn't the result of a calculation of the items difficulty versus your skill. There was no RNG deity capriciously determining success of your product. My success or failure depends on my skill.

It's just a free game about a blacksmith so it needed... everything else. But what it didn't lack was a feeling of accomplishment when I craft and that is what I want.