Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
memar1

What Type Of Game Is Crowfall, Exactly?

Crowfall is a MMORPG by definition, however it does add elements of a Strategy Game which might end up making it an entirely new genre of game. (MMORPSG?) As far as the question of, "Where's the RPG?" Here's the way I see it (not the definitive answer!) In the word MMORPG, you are taking the role of a character in an imaginary world (i.e., your role in-game). RPG doesn't require a person to pretend to actually be in the world and do role-playing. Just playing the game as intended, you are already fulfilling a role. I would add that the Fealty system fits very well into more advanced RP elements and could even facilitate some very interesting role-playing among players that enjoy that type of gameplay.

Edited by Arawulf

Crowfall is a MMORPG by definition, however it does add elements of a Strategy Game which might end up making it an entirely new genre of game. (MMORPSG?) As far as the question of, "Where's the RPG?" Here's the way I see it (not the definitive answer!) In the word MMORPG, you are taking the role of a character in an imaginary world (i.e., your role in-game). RPG doesn't require a person to pretend to actually be in the world and do role-playing. Just playing the game as intended, you are already fulfilling a role. I would add that the Fealty system fits very well into more advanced RP elements and could even facilitate some very interesting role-playing among players that enjoy that type of gameplay.

MMORPASG - Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Action Strategy Game

MMTCPUORPASG - Massively Multiplayer Temporary Campaign Persistent Universe Online Role Playing Action Strategy Game

MMTCPUOB2PPASG - Massively Multiplayer Temporary Campaign Persistent Universe Online Buy to Play Role Playing Action Strategy Game

MMTCPUOB2PBWOSPASG - Massively Multiplayer Temporary Campaign Persistent Universe Online Buy to Play But With Optional Subscritions Role Playing Action Strategy Game

To me it seems kind of like a mix of MOBA, MMO, rts, RPG and Roguelike. I don't think Throne War Simulator feels accurate, as it looks like we all get our own throne... maybe it's a Massively Multiplayer Online Third Person Fantasy Strategic Combat & Roll Playing Game, or MMOTPFSCRPG for short.

Ace has said that we as players create our story, so there wont be alot of lore, since the campaigns arent permanent.

In the most traditional sense, that makes this an RPG.

RPGs are not classes, raids, gear, formal quests or any of that other stuff, RPGs are where the players adopt the role of their character and make the story.

In the most traditional sense, that makes this an RPG.

RPGs are not classes, raids, gear, formal quests or any of that other stuff, RPGs are where the players adopt the role of their character and make the story.

In its purest form, yes. Every game where you "play a role" is a role playing game.

I can in theory go into Counter Strike with a friend a pretend we are a team of navy seals on the hunt for terrorists, and make a elaborate story out of it.

That would in its purest form be considered an RPG, so is every game where you have the possibility of roleplaying an RPG?

I think the term RPG has two meanings.

One is the role playing part, where you create your own story and character in the world.

The other one is the role your character has in the game and its story, and how  your character impacts the overall storyarc of the game.

Survival, strategy, hunger, destruction, underground, massive, online, medieval castles/towers, housing, flintlock pistol, economy, trade, campaign-conquest, lore, npc vendors/guards, mythical monsters, Archetypes, protagonist-characters, allies, enemies, monarchy, politics, titles, empires.   ^_^

This is the first advertisement I've seen about Crowfall: http://www.mmorpg.com/login_failed.cfm?reason=invalidLogin&bhcp=1

Edited by Mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

In its purest form, yes. Every game where you "play a role" is a role playing game.

I can in theory go into Counter Strike with a friend a pretend we are a team of navy seals on the hunt for terrorists, and make a elaborate story out of it.

That would in its purest form be considered an RPG, so is every game where you have the possibility of roleplaying an RPG?

I think the term RPG has two meanings.

One is the role playing part, where you create your own story and character in the world.

The other one is the role your character has in the game and its story, and how  your character impacts the overall storyarc of the game.

Perhaps, but that dilutes the meaning of role-playing to near useless.

An actual RPG creates an environment where role-playing (being your character) is non-frictional. Most MMORPGs aren't really RPGs in the traditional sense, because as a result of the persistent static environment, the game itself is an impediment to actually playing a role. An evolving world that responds and changes according to your character's actions seems necessary for a real RPG.

For example, I would not consider WoW to be an RPG. Everything about it discourages role-playing.

Part of what defines an RPG to me is that you play the role of someone else. Things like action combat with aiming goes against that- instead of your combat abilities being based on the role you are playing, they are based on your personal skills out of game- but it may be a fair sacrifice to make if it makes the game more playable and fun.