Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oridi

Defensive Building Strategies

I ran across this article on defensive castle building strategies http://medievalcastles.stormthecastle.com/castle-floor-plans.htm and wondered how folks are thinking about prioritizing the defensive building process.

I'm guessing we'll often be building in the campaign worlds as quickly and as resource efficiently as we can.   Do you think you'll be focusing on building out walls first or a tower with arrow slits in it first?  Most of the builders in medieval times seem to have had much more time to build than the CF environment will allow us ^_^.

How important will the locale be to you?  Will you keep looking until you can build in a spot with strong natural defenses?  Or are you going to aim for the spot closest to resources so you can have mats handy.

What balance are you aiming for between speed and strength?  Are you going to focus on just getting the walls up or on making sure they'll last through a few bombardments?

Will you be using your better mats?  Or saving those for other applications?

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

All of these questions depend on different factors for me. I would like to know more information on things like flying, tunnel digging and the general nature of what is possible while building bases.

As a general statement though, I think positioning your base near an efficient amount of resources is the most efficient way to build. The less distance you have to move resources, the faster you can build and upgrade. Since terrain doesn't seem to have any natural advantages (that we know of) like line of sight, I think rushing up the "tech tree" of defenses is the best way to progress.

It also depends on what the win conditions are for each campaign. I imagine these campaigns as very long matches of starcraft. Are you playing for the early game or the late game? What will everybody else be doing? Take it all into account and make a decision based on strategy. 

If we can dig, I'm kinda hoping we can do underground castles, like the Dwarf Halls from D&D, but those would only work if:

A. Digging takes a long time, so that people can't just dig into your Hall. Halls would also take a long time to build initally.

B. You can line your Hall with some super-hard substance, which would also be pretty expensive.

C. POIs are indestructible, or much more difficult to destroy than regular terrain.

D. We can trap the entire mountainside!  :ph34r:

I'm leaning towards building close to resources. A fortification does you no good if you're resources get snagged on the way there.

i-BZccwLx.jpg

We are Hardcore Gamers but welcome Casuals  |  KoS Webpage  |  TeamSpeak3 server address kosteamspeak.com

I'm thinking building close to the resource turn in points, embargo spots, is going to be pretty popular. Being able to have patrols around the area people are trying to turn in at that are still close to your base of operations will net you more resources than anything. Not to mention the ease of banking your own spoils of war.

I'm thinking building close to the resource turn in points, embargo spots, is going to be pretty popular. Being able to have patrols around the area people are trying to turn in at that are still close to your base of operations will net you more resources than anything. Not to mention the ease of banking your own spoils of war.

I think this would depend on how big and powerful your guild is. I wouldn't want my home base to be right next to the most important spot in the land...you'll get attacked by everybody in the entire campaign haha

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but when it comes to defenses we've used the same methods throughout history.

Start with a basic wooden barricade or big ditch. If you plan on staying, gradually upgrade to masonry and if you want to make a statement build thicker walls.

That said, we will likely see two very different types of Forts. While larger groups will pool their resources to construct castles there will be many smaller groups erecting small barricades as temporary shelters to be scavenged for resources or abandoned as the campaign progresses.

-So the next question to ponder. Which is more likely to be attacked, the cave behind that fallen tree or the big stone wall?

Not sure if I will be building yet, but if the tools and materials management are fun, then maybe :)

If basic resources are not too hard to come by for our guild, and there is some freedom in what we can do... then I will be all over the place! Strong walls, partly underground structures, several ways from the inside out and from the buildings up to both roofs and walls in order to fire some good shots at the enemy.

Edited by Krethys

oiPOxr.jpg

Proud Member of KDS -

Recruitment Post - Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

I personally think that building layers will probably be a waste if you want to increase the stronghold. I am wondering, will the size change the density of the stronghold and increase its defensive capability and does larger blocks mean more mining materials required?

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but when it comes to defenses we've used the same methods throughout history.

Start with a basic wooden barricade or big ditch. If you plan on staying, gradually upgrade to masonry and if you want to make a statement build thicker walls.

That said, we will likely see two very different types of Forts. While larger groups will pool their resources to construct castles there will be many smaller groups erecting small barricades as temporary shelters to be scavenged for resources or abandoned as the campaign progresses.

-So the next question to ponder. Which is more likely to be attacked, the cave behind that fallen tree or the big stone wall?

If food ends up being an important factor,it could create massive ramifications as to how forts are built. A large army cant just put up a stockade and cram everyone inside, there will be no room for food! and even then, the food needs to be hidden/protected/both so it will have to be built in a special way. Not to mention the time it takes to build the fort(perhaps weapons can have weight along with building materials, so you can trade between safety and building speed!) There may end up being a role of specialized castle designers. Or even an entire guild of castle builders!

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?