Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HappyWulf

Monster Hunter - Crowfall Style

I'm a big Monster Hunter fantard. I've been playing the series since it's first release on the PS2. When I see descriptions of the PvE for Crowfall say that you don't do it for exp, but you do it to survive and to get access to resources they may be guarding, or simply protecting your land, I think of Monster Hunter.  I think of Guild quests where the NPCs give you water thin stories about a big monster in their trade route so they can't leave town and they need a Hunter to bring it down, I think of how can this formula be emulated in Crowfall?

Then I think about how the combat in MH is, with no indicators on the ground, but with plenty of visual cues in telegraphed attacks. I think about carving large monsters for crafting materials, making cool Wyvern Scale armors. (Fashion Hunter!) I can then imagine a special type of player who enters dying worlds simply as a Hunt, to go on expedition simply to be the last man to slay a soon-to-be-extinct breed of beast.

How much could be done to make some truly epic PvE battles with 'regular' monsters, when the player does not level up and the damage you deal is based more on gear than on how many of the exps you have compared to your foe? 

1.well i would assume that there is no quest mechanic in this game,since there are no or only minimal amount of NPCs,but this doenst mean that there is no quest like gaestyle.

what i want to say with that is following.

what is a quest?

basically you deliver a service and someone pays you for it.

if we don't have NPCs to give us this jobs,then it will just be done by players.

a guild might be in need of a special item(which no one in their guild can craft)now they will search for a crafter who can supply them with this item.

after finding him,they will struck a deal with him and that deal is basically the quest.

2.well this game is focused on gathering resources,crafting,trade  and all kinds of PvP,it is not monster hunter 2.0^^

but i would still like to see a few NPCs that aren't just wild animals or so,with the only purpose to be killed as soon as someone wants he resources there.

i could easily imagine some epic mobs guarding something really valuable,like an artifact or runestone.

but i wouldn't want mob killing on grand scale to become core gameplay for everyone.

just enough to provide an alternative playsytle for people who like killing BAMs

Edited by kampfbock

There is not going to be a questing system, but I imagine there will be some need to "turn over" mobiles for resources or materials (food?). "PvE Battles", who knows. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing developer ran events using randomly spawned mobs.

You could hunt zombies, hell cats and rats and pretend that it's epic

Don't forget the gryphon!

To be honest - If they made this  Monster Hunter I'd walk away. Don't get me wrong, I like monster hunter, but if I wanna play monster hunter I'll play monster hunter. If I want to stab people in the yaknows I'll play crowfall.

Stabbing should be a bannable offense.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

There are so many baddies that are going to be playing CF, you will have plenty of Monsters to hunt...they just happen to be other players. No need for PVE ones to dilute the targets that are truly fun to kill...

I for one am sick of the lack of emphasis and content in PVE that the devs have shown so far.  

why do you need npcs to give you quests?

a quest is nothing else than providing a certain service for a certain payment.

its nothing else than hiring a person to do something for you in exchange for payment,so instead of that being done by npcs,its done by player.

and there will be more than enough jobs you want to hire other players for.

like a merchant hiring a guard or a trader hiring thugs to raid his competitors trade routes.

why do you need npcs to give you quests?

a quest is nothing else than providing a certain service for a certain payment.

its nothing else than hiring a person to do something for you in exchange for payment,so instead of that being done by npcs,its done by player.

and there will be more than enough jobs you want to hire other players for.

like a merchant hiring a guard or a trader hiring thugs to raid his competitors trade routes.

Here, 

Let me pull that hook from your mouth... 

All kidding aside, you took the bait...

(if you know anything about Robin, you know he is not about PVE)

Edited by Kell

Here, 

Let me pull that hook from your mouth... 

All kidding aside, you took the bait...

(if you know anything about Robin, you know he is not about PVE)

thanks for enlightening me on that matter^^

To be fair, it will probably be a little under 2 years until the game actually comes out, so they have PLENTY of time to make a bunch of creatures to populate the worlds. Now, as the devs have stated, PvP is the main focus of CF. However, they have also said that there will be many dangerous creatures in the worlds in order to increase the danger of exploring, hunting, gathering, building, etc.

Imagine going out in search of ore and you walk into a cave, only to find that there's a hungry bear inside and you just woke him up. Maybe you're exploring some nearby hills and there's a pack of wolves waiting to ambush you. Just because we only have Hellcats and Gryphons right now doesn't mean that there won't be more later, and while the focus won't be on them that doesn't make them irrelevant, nor does it make them any less of a threat. Especially in Winter, when they're fully converted by the hunger and ready to destroy anything and everything.

Actually, it would be interesting if in the earlier seasons (Spring and Summer) creatures might not be as hostile. After all, real-life creatures tend to avoid people if they can help it, so maybe they become more and more dangerous as the seasons progress. I don't know, maybe I'm making it too complicated XD

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Emergent game play.

They should not focus on making a whole system, with rewards, quest givers, reasons etc.

But, they could put some harder monsters in, that might (sometimes) drop something useful.

If a guild would want YOU to go and hunt them down, is doubtfull, because they will most likely be good enough to take it down themselves.

But, how about you went and kill one of these big monsters (alone or in a group) and then tried to sell whatever they dropped to highest bidder.

There you go, no quest system needed.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Emergent game play.

They should not focus on making a whole system, with rewards, quest givers, reasons etc.

But, they could put some harder monsters in, that might (sometimes) drop something useful.

If a guild would want YOU to go and hunt them down, is doubtfull, because they will most likely be good enough to take it down themselves.

But, how about you went and kill one of these big monsters (alone or in a group) and then tried to sell whatever they dropped to highest bidder.

There you go, no quest system needed.

Well, considering they've mentioned several times that there will be special materials all over the world, it does make sense that they would be guarded by beasts. But if a special material is inside or produced by a beast, then that would be one heck of a challenge. For example, in Sword Art Online Kirito takes a blacksmith girl to a floor where a dragon lives, going up to the top to get an ore that is said to be inside the dragon. Instead, they find that its droppings, after being processed through its system, is the ore that they need to make his sword. So there could be instances like that were there's a powerful beast somewhere in each world (or maybe only the most harcore worlds towards the center of the universe) that produces a very special material. That would encourage people to go hunt it down, but unlike Raids where the place resets and becomes available again later, once the beast is dead, it's gone for good until you finish the campaign, go out and possibly find another one on another world.

Maybe there are some worlds close to the Hunger that are full of these monsters and are therefore incredibly hard. Ya never know :)

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg