Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
headlight

Bullies, Tattle Tales And The Report Button

Not worth it.

Edited by checkyotrack

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

In 30 some odd years of forum grazing I have never used a report button.  Must be because I am an adult.  I abhor censorship in any form. Freedom of speech(for the moment) is a right.  I may not agree with what someone says, but I do agree on their right to say it.

There are good mods and bad mods and I approve of neither.  Even though I love the wit and wisdom displayed by folks like Doc, I cry to see the 'moderator' under their name. Yes, I understand that they are a necessary evil.  You dont have to approve of the idea of war, but you will build armies any way. Or die an idiot.

As for the thread in question, it was a place to have a little fun.  AT NO ONES EXPENSE!  If someone found something objectionable in it, perhaps their parents should make them wait a few more years to play on forums.

Absolutist views sound wonderful, but start to fall apart when placed in a context.  I won't go into examples, but we could list any number of truly horrific and nauseating things that people might post on these forums.  A privately owned forum generally has a TOS for a reason.  Remember, the idea is to encourage people to come here.  No people means no customers means no game.    

I've always thought that a good forums exists somewhere between free speech and communism while not leaning toward either extreme. This isn't the same Stalin-fest these forums they were the first week, so I'm not going to say these forums are harsh. But I will say that if you let a forums experience dictate your game experience, then you need to unplug. That's like saying YouTube is a giant failure because you can't enjoy the comments section.

But I will say that if you let a forums experience dictate your game experience, then you need to unplug.

I agree with everything Headlight but this, and only for the simple fact that we are pregame launch.  Currently, Crowfall is what we make it out to be on the forums.  There's nothing more to the Crowfall experience in it's current state then that right now.  Post launch, totally agree with you.  It becomes two separate experiences with little menial overlap.

I agree with everything Headlight but this, and only for the simple fact that we are pregame launch.  Currently, Crowfall is what we make it out to be on the forums.  There's nothing more to the Crowfall experience in it's current state then that right now.  Post launch, totally agree with you.  It becomes two separate experiences with little menial overlap.

Well, there are people who opted out of the game of speculation and are waiting for either the KS to end or beta to launch before they participate again. They didn't want to read thread after thread of speculation nor did they want to read the suggestions. They chose to not let the forums dictate their gaming experience even when there isn't a game to experience yet.

Well, there are people who opted out of the game of speculation and are waiting for either the KS to end or beta to launch before they participate again. They didn't want to read thread after thread of speculation nor did they want to read the suggestions. They chose to not let the forums dictate their gaming experience even when there isn't a game to experience yet.

I hear you.  I consider it a privilege to be able to be here from the ground up though.  I'll enter the game knowing why they maybe decided not to let my guinean assasin ride into battle on my four legged centaur friend, or (and I can only hope) why they did allow it.  Browsing the forums, admittingly not as much as I'd like, has given me a bit of insight on what I can expect or not expect a year or two from now.  

You are correct though...there are those who simply wish to be surprised.  But I think those folks, when the game releases are those who will be griping that it's not what they wanted or what they thought it was to be.

Knowledge is power.

I've always thought that a good forums exists somewhere between free speech and communism while not leaning toward either extreme. This isn't the same Stalin-fest these forums they were the first week, so I'm not going to say these forums are harsh. But I will say that if you let a forums experience dictate your game experience, then you need to unplug. That's like saying YouTube is a giant failure because you can't enjoy the comments section.

This is a fair statement.  When Crowfall Forum launched it was a chest pounding free for all.  Many were turned off and did not come back.  It has calmed down now, and many have found their place within the forum.  Yes there will always be those outrageous post and people that need attention, but I think in some regards these forums gave people insight and backbone.  Many came from forums, that you could not openly and freely express your thoughts, others came from places that were a full on battlefield.  I think we have a good handle on things and have given some of the more timid people a voice, and the outspoken/harsh a more mellow outlook to be able to post together. We have more real content info now, so let the topics fly about the GAME, enough with the cry me a river post!

You may insert the Kumbaya music now :P

2qitwli.png

Edited by wicked_savannah

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mattis

Well I think a lot more people ended up staying as a result of law being laid down in that first week. Most of the people I see that have left, this just wasn't their vision. The forums has relaxed since then. And I've pretty much got over the nerd rage this thread was intended for anyhow.

I think a constructive forum exists somewhere between odious anarchy and fascist deletism (made up a new word for extreme forum law). That sweet spot in the middle allows people the freedom to post creatively without fear of peer bashing or moderator post-deletion. Like democracy it requires education, tolerance, and sensitivity from fellow users. A sense of humor helps, too. And no matter how far out of hand the mods think a poster gets, you know that there are still 2nd chances here.http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/376-rl-pics-2/?p=6429

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

I think a constructive forum exists somewhere between odious anarchy and fascist deletism (made up a new word for extreme forum law). That sweet spot in the middle allows people the freedom to post creatively without fear of peer bashing or moderator post-deletion. Like democracy it requires education, tolerance, and sensitivity from fellow users. A sense of humor helps, too. And no matter how far out of hand the mods think a poster gets, you know that there are still 2nd chances here.http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/376-rl-pics-2/?p=6429

How long did you have to search for that poorly made socks?

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Doesn't take that long to search for "communism". That's the search term I used to paraphrase that one banned guy anyhow. That guy received most of his warning points from one mod in particular and the mod challenges he made led to his demise. But hindsight being 20/20 and the mod no longer with us, it seems that he wasn't entirely wrong.

I heard that Fixt guy in WM was Headlight as well. Who are you for real?

Edited by checkyotrack

SWrkfdj.jpg

Sur, while I agree with the majority of your message and have only reported someone once (6 years ago on a gaming forum regarding a military troop movement) I have to point out that as much as you have just preached about everyone being entitled to their own opinions and being an adult the last line of your post totally ruins it.  You take a cheap shot at those who might disagree with your opinion and label them immature children not fit to join you here on the forums.

Not sure I would use the phrase 'cheap shot', but you did understand my meaning, young padawan, you will go far.

As a little further instruction, I know the people from SB.  What I see of them on this forum is highly entertaining. They walk around like gentlepersons, smelling flowers and patting each other on the butt.  But I know that when the game opens, these gentle souls will bring forth a flood of tears the like of which has not been dreamed of by the sheeple on these pages.

I will be laughing my a$$ off.