Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who Am I?

Hi.

Who am I. What a weird, big question. Well, to start, most people just call me Hi. Like the greeting. Short and sweet.

Anyway, I've been around the MMORPG block. I'm in my 30s, and I kinda followed the industry I guess.

Started with Everquest. I remember reading about it in PC Gamer, I think. I had been mostly a Quake Kid up until then. Seemed interesting. Game was really weird, but I met people, and went on adventures. Was fun. Most notable moment was probably this time I was exploring Neriak with my Bard, and this evil Drow woman was leading all the Dark Elves into the forest, or something? It was a long time ago, and kinda hazy. Ended up being the Plane of Fear launch event, with GM controlled NPCs and everything. Fun stuff. I was pretty low level, but I had fun, and I managed to help out and buff people. Oh, and towards the end, when one of the GM NPCs died, I ninja looted the corpse, and sold the stuff on Ebay for hundreds of bucks. Some dude bought a shield that only dropped from Nagafen off me. I had charges, and I had used one of them in Blackburrow saving a friend who had just started the game. Womp.

After that, I think, was UO. I got into it too late, and never really got into it. Too overwhelming. Kind of sad, in a way. If I had been patient enough to stick it out, I might have had some fun back then. Tried a bit of Asheron's Call, too. That was fun, but didn't get that into it.

But I had some fun with Ragnarok Online. Specifically on custom shards. I remember one time joining a custom shard, and joining this PvP tournament with a low level priest. (I think they were priests?). Anyway, I remember being able to drop gates to teleport people, and that the tournament rules were 'If you die, or leave the arena, you're out'. So, my strategy was simple. I ran around gating people out. I had been on the server less than a week, and I think I got through four max level super geared kids before they banned me. Good times.

Anarchy Online was after that, I think. Was fun, but I don't remember much from then. I wish I'd played Dark Age of Camelot when it came out. That would have been something. I went back, years later, to try, but the magic just wasn't there. I do better with Fresh MMOs. Low attention span, I guess.

Anyway, along came Shadowbane. Oh, what a game. I remember reading about it on Something Awful, and a handful of us played in the beta. I don't remember how Sinbad came into the picture, but he was there too. Seemed organized, had his poorly made socks together.

I ended up joining him into release, as he formed The Silent Tribe, on the Death server. It was a hell of an experience. I was, for all intents and purposes, some dumb kid, and here I was caught up in this crazy business. I had never really been in a guild before. I don't remember most of what happened back then, but I remember the guild being a bit of a mess. I don't think he'd ran a guild before. It got big though. He did that much right. I ended up making Officer after the battle on Ice Island, I think (Where we went to take out LoD's keep.) Got to watch him totally ignore the unrest within the guild, and get totally blindsided by those grumpy little dwarf dudes. (I loved those guys.) I remember trying desperately to cover his bottom on the forums, but it was an uphill fight. Anyway, I eventually quit. I have already posted a couple of my more fond memories in Other Threads, but Shadowbane was my favorite game. It was the most fun I'd ever had in a game like that.

Anyway, at some point came World of Warcraft, which changed it all. I remember liking Warcraft 3 as a kid, and playing it a ton. Fun game. So when an MMORPG was coming out in that universe, I was pumped. Couldn't wait to go to war. Bunch of people from SomethingAwful had been on for a while were pumped too, and I ended up joining the Goon Guild in beta. Dumb Goon Drama eventually happened, and a splinter guild called Hooligan Syndicate was formed. They eventually went on to become Elitist Jerks, and played a big part of my life for a little while. I still talk to a lot of the friends I made from that game, and I've been shilling this game hard. They're all skeptical as hell, but if it doesn't suck, they'll probably play.

I left WoW a little before the Ahn' Quiraj event, and it was probably for the best. I had been playing a lot of games for a long time, and it was time to grow up.

Still, I made time where I could. I went back after WoW to try DAOC, but at that point the initial magic wasn't there. I played Rift a lot, I remember that. Fun game, raided a bit. Felt like WoW. I played Warhammer Online, that was interesting. Sucks what happened there. City of Villains, that was fun too too. Champions Online. Got me on a lifetime sub, whoops. Eve Online. Flew with the swarm for a bit, fun being a little bee. Lineage 2. Guild Wars. Guild Wars 2. Still play that sometimes. LOTRO. Age of Conan. That one seemed promising. I missed SWG though, which was a pity. I played SWTOR after my girlfriend sold me on Star Wars, and it seemed like it would have been fun.

More than anything I've been playing DOTA, though. Lots of DOTA. Been looking forward to playing a game like this for a very long time though, and I'm glad it might happen.

My name is Hi, and I will be playing Crowfall.

Edited by Hi!

Hi Hi! (pun intended)

I'm Naboo from Pax Maelstrom, I've noticed you're new to the forums. If you need any help or information about the game feel free to message me back with any questions you have.

Also, if you are looking for a guild to join I would like to invite you to come to Pax Maelstrom's Teamspeak and talk to some of our guys, or submit an application.

Pax Maelstrom is a team focused, pvp guild. Maelstrom is also a member of the Pax Gaming Community. Through the members we have gained since 2001, we have been able to collect quality members from a multitude of different games.

In Maelstrom we aim to provide our members the tools to succeed on both the individual and highest competitive levels. Over the years we have been able to accomplish this in other titles without sacrificing fun factor and general mature behaviour. In many games (past and present) our guilds have been viewed as honoured enemies and trusted friends. We can be as brutal as a blades edge while maintaining a level of good sportsmanship and honour. 

We accomplish this because we recruit mature players. You can always grow skill, but it is harder to culture behaviour.

If you need more information on what Pax Gaming is, or help with our website, how to set up and use Teamspeak, or how to apply - don't hesitate to ask!

Our only requirement for membership is a baseline of activity, a willingness to co-operate and improve as a group in a friendly environment with a positive approach!

Happy Hunting,

Naboo

mael4.jpg

Lol, nice to meet you formally, Drakkus.  Unlike my esteemed friend above, I notice that you're NOT new to the forums.  And I've definitely seen you around on a number of threads.  Nice to get to know your gaming background, and best of luck with the new guild!

Hello Hi and welcome to the forums! I also cut my teeth in Everquest back in the day. Look forward to seeing you in game :D

i-BZccwLx.jpg

We are Hardcore Gamers but welcome Casuals  |  KoS Webpage  |  TeamSpeak3 server address kosteamspeak.com

Lol, nice to meet you formally, Drakkus.  Unlike my esteemed friend above, I notice that you're NOT new to the forums.  And I've definitely seen you around on a number of threads.  Nice to get to know your gaming background, and best of luck with the new guild!

well "new" enough to just post in the Intro forums..... come on now

mael4.jpg

Unironically starting an actual new guild this early would be silly, who would ever want to do that?

Because you're not really a member of the forums until you make a thread about yourself.

That's the golden forum rule. You get special forum points if you even include your IP while fighting for resources because of...reasons.

In a more serious note, that's some MMO experience! Nice read on your experiences with SB, can only imagine how awesome it must have been to play at release.

LW_sig_concept5.jpg

Through the Hunger and Darkness, might our Light shine through...

- (Future) Character name: Ydriel -

That's the golden forum rule. You get special forum points if you even include your IP while fighting for resources because of...reasons.

In a more serious note, that's some MMO experience! Nice read on your experiences with SB, can only imagine how awesome it must have been to play at release.

I left out most of the small ones. I'm actually playing SWTOR (Fun if you play it like a co-op Bioware RPG), and Skyforge at the moment, though the beta week for the latter is ending soon.

This is definitely the most I've let myself look forward to an MMO for a while, however. Guild Wars 2 was probably the last, even if the combat didn't quite grab me.

I think I'd logged at least 500 posts before I finally did an intro thread.   ;)

we can't all be as stellar as you seventh

Anyway @Hi, I always love seeing MMO veterans its awesome to know some folks enjoy forum browsing, posting about the good ole times. Did you enjoy SWTOR? or is it more of a girlfriend pleaser for ya?

mael4.jpg

Anyway @Hi, I always love seeing MMO veterans its awesome to know some folks enjoy forum browsing, posting about the good ole times. Did you enjoy SWTOR? or is it more of a girlfriend pleaser for ya?

Pretty much everything that came from KOTOR (Companions, the storyline, the general 'feel') was great. Everything they took from WoW (The combat, the battlegrounds, the class system, etc.) was generic, and I'd played it like half a dozen times before by that point. I get why they went with what they thought was safe, however. A lot of money was sunk into that game.

I enjoy it, it's a very solid game to play in a duo. Dungeons are challenging enough to be fun with two players, and two companions.

yeah man, with all that funding and there's still graphic bugs all over the place, mainly with your own character it's slightly in excusable... but then again it's Star Wars :P

I still enjoy it most of the story lines are real good.

mael4.jpg

yeah man, with all that funding and there's still graphic bugs all over the place, mainly with your own character it's slightly in excusable... but then again it's Star Wars :P

I still enjoy it most of the story lines are real good.

They shored up the team just before launch to get it out the door, and I believe they cut back significantly right after launch (unsurprisingly). When all you have left is a skeleton Live Team, then you have to focus resources more on new content to bring in revenue, than cleaning up longstanding stuff.

• 2 months later...

Welcome to Crowfall, Hi! I think you might be the first person I've heard mention RO here, or perhaps I'm just not paying attention. Either way, it was an enjoyable game.

I'm glad you're so interested in Crowfall, it has a lot of interesting ideas and hopefully it will deliver on a decent number of them. I can't say for sure how it'll turn out, but hopefully you'll enjoy your time here, in game and on the forums.