Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
hedge

Safezones?

Hey I'm just wonderin if there are gonna be safezones in this game or any thing kinda like that or nub isle

We don't even know if it will even be open pvp, honestly. We know nothing. We don't know if safe zones is even relevant to the discussion.

Inb4 "no safe zones all nubs must spawn with my dagger already in their backs!"

I too wonder
but I hope and root for no 100% safezones, some areas could be zones that are relativly safe though, be it some working alignment system, npc guards or what have you.

I don't think anybody is against a limited amount of safe zones.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I want no safezones at all, however I do want to see NPC guards in NPC cities, as well as the possibility to hire them in player owned cities (as well as setting your own laws). Attacking a player in an NPC city is possible but would elicit a very strong response, almost certainly leading to your death. 

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche

I too wonder

but I hope and root for no 100% safezones, some areas could be zones that are relativly safe though, be it some working alignment system, npc guards or what have you.

This, generally speaking, I can support.  So long as the system is fair and sufficiently effective, it can work.

However, if the "town watch" can't sufficiently punish the "disco domi" equivalents, the system isn't effective.

I do like your suggestion that it be based on NPCs, though.  The NPCs just need to be up to the task.  This also makes for some interesting gameplay possibilities, such as bribing guards to look the other way.  It also gives PCs a reason to curry favor with NPCs, so as to be able to use the "safe" zones.

I dont think there should be any safezones personally. Its restricting to the freedom of the world IMO. It would be cool to hunt someone down in a city instead of the open field for once.

There should be NPC guards to make the world feel alive, however, Do not make them all powerful as they are in other games. Make it so that you can take on and kill the guards, after all they are only regular people just like you. It should be up to players and guilds to make their cities safe, not the AI's. For example some cities could be total backwaters and extremely dangerous to travel through, but a larger city with more organized players can hire more guards to outnumber criminals. Let them create their own crime systems to punish said players if they are caught to discourage peope from trying to kill others openly in a bigger city. Only assassins would then dare to venture in to pick off a target.

Of course we dont know much about this game yet but these are my thoughts.

Safe zones would typically be for new players of low level.  I don't know any PVP'r outside of those driven to simply ruin another's gaming experience that is pining away to kill noobs.

that said, safe zones should be placed as to hold no strategic advantage for gathering forces or directing sieges.

My primary goal would to make the game as diverse and new player friendly as possible.

Archeage had npc peacekeepers called Nuetral Aliance Guards.   Their AI sucked flying purple donkey butt and didnt really protect crap.  I agree with Arbiter to an extent. Major cities should have a base level of NPCs that do have more of a knock your junk in the dirt power.  Theory being more populous more money for better training and more experience with crime and unruliness in general.  There could be an option of once a month posting the crimes in the major cities, then have a player contributed fund that spawns more guards for that city.  So if every one goes to major city "Center of Greatness" a lot.   Every player can  contribute to the fund effectively make the city "safe".  As Arbiter stated the backwater less traveled out of the way areas should have a small force of competent yet not uber powerfull guards.  Since less people go there the locals hire guards based off of the same system and can provide for more protection up to the breakpoint of it being worth their wild to hire more and being able to effectively do what they want to do.  Major city guards would have tight but not Secret Service level patrol patterns.  While small city guards kind of wander around or go to the place where most crime happens. This leaves a highly skilled assassins able to ply their craft after being hired for revenge on a guy who wont leave a major city. From some yahoo who just stabs a guy at a vendor then runs away thinking he's 1337 do to sucky guard AI. Especially considering the lootability and perma-death that is being discussed.  If you get the kill with skill, timing, planning and ability....keep what you kill man you earned it.  If you get it do to faulty AI or bad "game mechanics" its a bit of a pisser.

I do however disagree on player based crime systems.  Not in principle mind you just application.  While I haven't experience many player based crime systems the most reasent one from Archeage was laughable at best.  People afk just to get xp for being there.  People voting guilty just to get the points for being there so they could get the quest item, not even listening to testimony.  People will either go hey its sandbox do anything you want.  Others go....well that would piss me of if/when it happened to me.....screw this guy. To the headmen with the turnip theif.  

I want no safezones at all, however I do want to see NPC guards in NPC cities, as well as the possibility to hire them in player owned cities (as well as setting your own laws). Attacking a player in an NPC city is possible but would elicit a very strong response, almost certainly leading to your death. 

I like this. It would be a better version of DFO's zap towers.  :)

EOWWuhQ.png 

I like this. It would be a better version of DFO's zap towers.  :)

Lol those original DF towers had such silly range. You could just jump in front of peoples swords to get them red-marked then after they died to the towers you could take their stuff.

lopuda47ee7.jpg

Lol those original DF towers had such silly range. You could just jump in front of peoples swords to get them red-marked then after they died to the towers you could take their stuff.

That is exactly what I did at the goblin spawns in the Mahirim (wolf) lands  :lol:

Easy loot!

EOWWuhQ.png 

Archeage had npc peacekeepers called Nuetral Aliance Guards.   Their AI sucked flying purple donkey butt and didnt really protect crap.  I agree with Arbiter to an extent. Major cities should have a base level of NPCs that do have more of a knock your junk in the dirt power.  Theory being more populous more money for better training and more experience with crime and unruliness in general.  There could be an option of once a month posting the crimes in the major cities, then have a player contributed fund that spawns more guards for that city.  So if every one goes to major city "Center of Greatness" a lot.   Every player can  contribute to the fund effectively make the city "safe".  As Arbiter stated the backwater less traveled out of the way areas should have a small force of competent yet not uber powerfull guards.  Since less people go there the locals hire guards based off of the same system and can provide for more protection up to the breakpoint of it being worth their wild to hire more and being able to effectively do what they want to do.  Major city guards would have tight but not Secret Service level patrol patterns.  While small city guards kind of wander around or go to the place where most crime happens. This leaves a highly skilled assassins able to ply their craft after being hired for revenge on a guy who wont leave a major city. From some yahoo who just stabs a guy at a vendor then runs away thinking he's 1337 do to sucky guard AI. Especially considering the lootability and perma-death that is being discussed.  If you get the kill with skill, timing, planning and ability....keep what you kill man you earned it.  If you get it do to faulty AI or bad "game mechanics" its a bit of a pisser.

I do however disagree on player based crime systems.  Not in principle mind you just application.  While I haven't experience many player based crime systems the most reasent one from Archeage was laughable at best.  People afk just to get xp for being there.  People voting guilty just to get the points for being there so they could get the quest item, not even listening to testimony.  People will either go hey its sandbox do anything you want.  Others go....well that would piss me of if/when it happened to me.....screw this guy. To the headmen with the turnip theif.  

I played Archeage too and I agree with you. In karkasse ridgelands there was an area where you would just wait for the guards to pass and then kill people standing at the quest givers outside the aggro radius. Or the mansion in Sandeep. That was stupid. Guards need to be more intelligent and aware.

And I didn't really mean a player based decision/court system. As you said in Archeage everyone would just vote for their guildies and it was pretty much impossible to tell if the person in court was telling the truth or not. And who knows if the "reports" were just made up spam either. What I meant was, have the players of the city decide the severity of the punishment for the crime - for everyone who does so. I'm not suggesting a court system. Say the players or guild of the town set the punishment/law of killing another player inside the city at stripping the player of items from their inventory (randomly decided) or having to pay a set sum of gold. And perhaps backwater cities that are filled with pkers, assassins, and bounty hunters, might let you get away with a couple silver as payment or get off completely. So IF that person ends up being killed by the guards or players hunting them down, they will automatically have the programming of the city punish them accordingly to the laws set in place. But have it apply to every player in the city that gets caught so that people cant just vouch for their guildies and get them off the hook like in Archeage.

Nub island, heh. Where every combat vet goes after they've lost a hand or a foot. It's a pleasant place to retire with your useless stump.

Back when I was a kid, we called them n00bs, and we liked it! Yeah you had to reach waaayyy up there to the number row, but that builds character. Kids these days.

*hobbles off to nub island to rest his aching stumps*

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Gotta love archeage.  Hit some one out of range backdrop into guard range and get the other guy aggrod when his hit lands. Got so many TPs doing that at docks. Dont even get me started on the report button.  Three guys sit there two purple up, kill you, then the third reports you started it before you even port to the shrine. 

I did missunderstand what you ment Arbiter by player setting rules.  That would be difficult to program but I could deffinately get behind that. Would make lawless maurader lands more of an accomplishment to go through or do what you need to do there.  Would make the major cities people just want to go to and chill capable of being RELATIVELY safe.  Where players set what they will and wont tollerate and what should be done. If your ballsy and skilled enough you should have atleast a 5% chance of success and never a 0%.  Also lets players be more involved in how the game develops and if they want change they have to convince other players or get suppot.  The more I think about it there should be definately be an IF to guards taking you down. Leave the possability a large organized anarchist group could over take a major city and the other players have to either retake or figure out another place to go. Then you dont just rely on NPC's for safety and there is the possabilty of it being no longer safe.

Personally i want no safe zones, NPC guards should be enough, I think we should be allowed to raid deep in enemy territory but have to deal with strong NPC guards kinda like Archeage. Players should police cities isnt that what this is about, making your part count, being thar when starters of the game are out and about trying to get geared and such and knowing you are thar to have thar back if needed? Community driven protection is pretty epic, its one thing i very much enjoyed in Archeage. Defend your people your village your castle against enemies, Make allies to help you defend them as well. Become known in the  community and know who your enemies are as well. Adding life to the game

krevra.png

You do have to admit in the futility of Archeage "guards".  I did enjoy discovering though if you were east going west that a west guard would kick your butt for being there. 

You have to balance out being able to do what ever you want to do and what needs to be done.  If we have a fully anarchistic model of just taker. Who have run off all of the makers.  Who or what can the takers take? You need to balance out being able to make something and have a  possability of getting there.  If you are all about PvP and taking peoples stuff.  What happens when no one there has anything to take?  Its just as carebear to say I should be able to kill who ever I want when ever I want with out there being any danger of punishment for failing. As it is to say I should be able to run around everywhere and be protected.  Guards protect "carebear" crafters in cities.  No guards protect "carebear" PvP players in cities.  Lets face it most of the time PvP means I am 10 levels higher than you. I shall now kick your ass and talk about how badassed I am.  I rarely find a PvP player who doesn't hang back when faced with a similarly leveled and geared player/group to his/himself.  Where he isn't guaranteed success based off of a numbers system or staic leveling.

I think EVE had a good system, where the whole map is open PvP, but there are areas that are considered safe due to NPC guards.  If you're determined, you can still kill someone in a safe zone, but it's generally safe.