Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
operator

The (New) Lack Of Character Appearance Customization

Customization is nice, but only to the point where it doesn't affect performance in mass battles. If you start adding things like different body types and even animations there will be performance hits on both servers and on the client computer.

I'll take simple, stylistic and a nice frame rate over unique looking avatars and 2 FPS any day.

Yeah, large scale performance comes before customization as far as I'm concerned. Kind of a no-brainer to be honest.

Member of The BlackHand Order

Age of Conan has amazing character creator (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry3lg_CIiJM).

Very few REALLY took advantage of it (and then covered their faces with masks/helmets). Most people? Max height, max muscle, pretty much standard face.

Oh and some abused the system to create really ugly faces just for lols.

15nb1g1.png

So...not really worth it to invest a lot of money into customization.

Just give me few faces, skin/hair colors, hair/facial hair and perhaps face marks/tattoos/accessories.

The Blond Myth of Aquilonia

www.assassinshideout.com

I always get frustrated with the 5 faces 5 hairs typical stuff seen in games like WOW and SWTOR. I thought GW2 was decent. EVE's was incredible, which was sadly ironic. I hope CF can at least be as good as GW2.

There's this kind of perception I see among a lot of other PvPers that character customization isn't important and that it's just fluff or something for the carebears.

Personally character customization is an MMO feature to me. In an MMO I'm trying to play the role of a character. A character who just so happens to like fighting and competition.

If I wanted pure PvP there are games like Starcraft 2, Halo and SMITE I can go play that really do it better. It's because I want a bit of story and personality behind my character, and an immersive environment I play MMOs. For me, part of fully enjoying an experience like that is being able to build my character the way I want him.

To start the game 5 faces and hairstyles per race works but... I really hope they aren't satisfied, and don't stop with that.

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

There's this kind of perception I see among a lot of other PvPers that character customization isn't important and that it's just fluff or something for the carebears.

Personally character customization is an MMO feature to me. In an MMO I'm trying to play the role of a character. A character who just so happens to like fighting and competition.

If I wanted pure PvP there are games like Starcraft 2, Halo and SMITE I can go play that really do it better. It's because I want a bit of story and personality behind my character, and an immersive environment I play MMOs. For me, part of fully enjoying an experience like that is being able to build my character the way I want him.

To start the game 5 faces and hairstyles per race works but... I really hope they aren't satisfied, and don't stop with that.

That's all arenas, arenas are boring, predictable and you don't get to take your opponents stuff or land afterwards. Open world PvP with real risk to it is where it's at, the kind of fast paced and exciting combat that will leave you sweating like a pig in your chair. No arena game ever came close to giving any experiences like that, I'm hoping CF will bring it back. Character customization is nice and all, but just not at the top of the priority list.

Member of The BlackHand Order

Arenas also don't have you grinding on mobs for hours and hours and hours just to be able to compete in PvP which is why they, despite their flaws, are still better PvP games than things like Darkfall in terms of pure PvP. The PvP isn't quite as adrenaline pumping but it's 100% of your experience if you want it to be. Where DF it's like less than 10%.

The part of about Open World PvP MMOs that makes them compelling as a genre is the REALISM. The fact your choices have longterm consequences and such. Part of creating realism is allowing players to customize themselves as individuals instead of giving them a few presets to choose from.

If customization is anything less in this game than it was in the original DF I'm going to be highly disappointed.

Edited by Andius

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

If you give players a clean slate they will merely proceed to draw a penis on it.

In-depth customization is a waste of dev time and server resources, just have enough to differentiate and that's enough, devs should definitely go the route of standard bodies and give us a choice of lots of standard faces, hairs, beards, colors etc. to mix and match, that's the sweetspot. It's not 5 years ago, we've seen customization and how ultimately pointless and even detrimental to the game it is. For every 1 guy who takes it seriously to fit in with the lore you will end up with a thousand pink haired punks with distorted baby-faces, and the server suffers.

Edited by Mookzen

Some people didnt get to play with dolls enough as a kid.

First thing you will try to do ingame is get your armor.  Once that is accomplished, you will never see that tattoo you spent three hours picking out.  The only customization you need is guild colors and crest.  Anything else is just a waste.

If you give players a clean slate they will merely proceed to draw a penis on it.

As per rule:

Whatever you give them, they will perverse it.

If players could design their own crest, guess what would happen?

Peen0rs.

www.assassinshideout.com

It's good to have diversity in charakter appearence. I believe that a lot of people love to personalize their charakters. I have the impression the people of ACE will do just fine. Tweaking my nose angle or how narrow my eyes are is too much fluff in my opinion. What seems interesting though, would be attributes automatically influencing the appearence a bit. Dex, Str and Con could have influence. But maybe this would explode the number of (art) sets needed to build a character.

you were talking about customization.

the presented picture up there shows dye-able clothing.

With how the colors work in the crafted alloy system, I doubt there will be dyes in CF.  I could be wrong though, which would just cancel out their alloy coloring system.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

With how the colors work in the crafted alloy system, I doubt there will be dyes in CF.  I could be wrong though, which would just cancel out their alloy coloring system.

Something tells me that you will be able to tell the quality and power of players gear just by looking at it's color. That would make a lot of sense even if wouldn't be best from customization point of view.

Edited by Slith

www.assassinshideout.com

Something tells me that you will be able to tell the quality and power of players gear just by looking at it's color. That would make a lot of sense even if wouldn't be best from customization point of view.

Which is what Ace has been designing for.... no dyes... armor coloring based on alloy stat/quality.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

I certainly hope that there will be a lot of customization options.  The most important things are hairstyles, faces, and colors for all of those things because they're the most obvious. We've already learned there will be no body customization (not even pre-set body types), so I do hope they will develop a very, very wide variety of hairstyles and faces and other obvious features.

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2015/03/23/crowfall-interview-mmorpg-strategy

this interview talks a little bit about it.

Edited by Anna Tatiana

I'll believe the doll story. People want unique character faces for what? You're going to have a helmet on for most of the campaign. You want your character to comb his/her hair after every battle? Look cool while sipping some hot chocolate by the camp fire? No, more than likely you want it to look original while /dancing in some bloodstone backer's EK. Giant waste of time and money.

Would rather them work on 10 additional helmet types than 40 additional eyebrows. Sliders and colors? Great. Choosing from 20 different chin types? Boo.

I'd definitely be interested to see how much time players have spent on average per character to customize their character. I spent more time on GW2 customization because they made me. Almost like they wanted me to appreciate how much money they threw at it. I made it all monocolor and moved on. I got a game to play.

Per Gordon, interview:

Offering that kind of customization dramatically slows down you engine, and in a game like Crowfall, we have to prioritize framerate over minor cosmetics. Instead, we stick to the big ticket
items: weapons, cloaks, armor, helmets, gloves, boots, decals, etc.
Edited by headlight

Customization is nice, but only to the point where it doesn't affect performance in mass battles. If you start adding things like different body types and even animations there will be performance hits on both servers and on the client computer.

I'll take simple, stylistic and a nice frame rate over unique looking avatars and 2 FPS any day.

I'm the kind of person that very strongly enjoy character customisation and that find it very important to be happy and satisfied with a game. The more, the better. I like to have the feel that my character is unique and that very few will looks like me. 

Also, if this game ever want to "sell" stuff in a sort of cash shop, new haircuts proposed several times a year will sell very well. People usually enjoy customisation.

However... I very much agree with Elorius. It's very important than on a PVP intensive game, customisation do not hinder performance. Also, from far, you do not see so much the details. 

So if we have too choose between lot of customisation and not hurt the performance, and can not have an extensive character customisation with sliders etc like in GW2, ESO, or Tera.... I'd rather have a large choice of premade faces, haircut and colors. Might not be as extensive, but if we have a large choice of varied haircut, this will help to give a personal feel to your character, and allow lots of different combinations.

TDLR: Lots of haircut > sliders.

(EDIT: I can't believe that my first post ever on this forum is about haircut XD)

Edited by Elloa

Per Gordon, interview:

Offering that kind of customization dramatically slows down you engine, and in a game like Crowfall, we have to prioritize framerate over minor cosmetics. Instead, we stick to the big ticket

items: weapons, cloaks, armor, helmets, gloves, boots, decals, etc.

Well that is a pretty good argument against additional sliders. Personally, I'd be happy with a decent amount of pre-made faces.

Edited by Decoy