Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
operator

The (New) Lack Of Character Appearance Customization

3. Our archetypes approach means that we don't have to create a combinatory set of art. If you have 10 races and 10 classes, and each one can be combined, and you want to create 10 custom looks for each, that's (10x10x10=1000) custom characters that you have to make. The ongoing cost is even worse because it's effectively exponential -- every time you add a new race or class, the problem gets exponentially worse. With handcrafted archetypes, we've kept that cost linear  -- which also means that we can still have a high degree of customization for each archetype, and we can spend MORE time making each one look unique (and fantastic!) We can still achieve customization for each archetype. We can't stress enough how important this was to keeping our costs in check. Other MMOs spend TENS of millions of dollars on combinatory avatar systems.  

That gives me a lot of hope, depending on what their idea of "a high degree of customization" for each archetype is. Hopefully they'll share more information about it one of these Tuesdays or Thursdays.

In Shadowbane, base Strength directly increased your size. Will this be the case in Crowfall?

My 210Str. HG Templar needs to know. Dwarves didn't even come up to her knee.

Edited by kargrym

CF_Karg.png

I care very much about my characters appearance. I hope the options to look different are rich and I hope they don't drain resources from frame rate and gameplay. At the same time, I'm pretty decent at PVP so that silly stereotype can go right out the window.

Your level of caring about your characters appearance can not be correlated with your care to be competitive or wanting great gameplay.

What do I know though? I'm from New York where there are different kinds of people around at all times as opposed to where Straw Poll Fundraisers are held.

Edited by 8olphCaesar

What do I know though? I'm from New York where there are different kinds of people around at all times as opposed to where Straw Poll Fundraisers are held.

Tell us more about this strange and magical land where people of all races, creeds and colors live together in peace. Are there unicorns there? Those of us in the segregated flyover states are frightened and confused when confronted by others who don't look like us.

Tell us more about this strange and magical land where people of all races, creeds and colors live together in peace. Are there unicorns there? Those of us in the segregated flyover states are frightened and confused when confronted by others who don't look like us.

Sounds personal. Good luck with this.

As I just was doing this very thing last night on Tera Online (since I was told that it was a free game which Crowfall was patterning combat after), the ability to customize your character's ear size, nostril width and jut of his chin can be a BLAST! Tera Online is a BEAUTIFUL game with incredible customization features! It took me a good 30-45 minutes to complete my Malibu Barbie DressUp Session! Does it mean anything to gameplay? Nope. Does it mean anything once you throw a helm over that beautifully designed face? Nope. Will it keep me playing Tera Online one more day after the grind and lack of consequential pvp has finally broken my will? Nope. Do I hope that the devs spend one extra minute giving us customizable chest hair lengths? Nope. Am I content with 5 faces and 5 hair choices? YouBetcha! 

Satire, perhaps?

Just imagine a smiley after everything I say.  Works out best for us all.

Limited character customization is fine. Always found it weird when given the choice for height/weight, eye size, eye shape etc etc etc. None of it mattered once you put a helm on and if I wanted to be bigger/taller, I'd pick a bigger/taller race

7d4g0V5.png

the ability to customize your character's ear size, nostril width and jut of his chin can be a BLAST! Tera Online is a BEAUTIFUL game with incredible customization features! It took me a good 30-45 minutes to complete my Malibu Barbie DressUp Session! Does it mean anything to gameplay? Nope. Does it mean anything once you throw a helm over that beautifully designed face? Nope. Will it keep me playing Tera Online one more day after the grind and lack of consequential pvp has finally broken my will? Nope. Do I hope that the devs spend one extra minute giving us customizable chest hair lengths? Nope. Am I content with 5 faces and 5 hair choices? YouBetcha! 

How much time did it take to develop a part of the game totally removed by a helmet and completely unnoticeable by everyone else?

7d4g0V5.png

I think they should have customization for the butt, since that's what I am primarily staring at when I'm playing. 

On the other hand however, it was always such a joy living vicariously through my characters, sporadically asking myself the question, "now, if I were to ever consider plastic surgery as a fallback to achieve genuine happiness in this life...?"  Then, I would commence the minor tweaking and lifting, spending hours on making them just absolutely perfect!    :wacko: Let's make 'em purdy-licious!

In pvp you never say, attack the guy with the black short cropped hair. You say attack the knight in red armor with the blue shield named "caliman"

CF_Karg.png

I admit that I can spend an obscene amount of time playing with a detailed character generator, but the truth is.. most people don't give a custard and never look at your character's overly detailed face as they smash your brains in. If we have enough hair styles and faces for the sake of variety, that should realistically be enough for personal vanity for a game l

Just gives you reason to hate and kill them...and then of course burn all their sh it down.

DOPPLEGANGER! DIE DEMON BACK TO THE PITS OF WHATEVER HELL YOU CAME FROM.

58080807.jpg

this  is my kinda girl         :)

In pvp you never say, attack the guy with the black short cropped hair. You say attack the knight in red armor with the blue shield named "caliman"

In pvp you shouldnt have to say anything about a knight they are a tank, leave him while u get the casters.

I'm one of those rare few who take customization seriously, I try to make my character look like me, I also try to adhere to the lore of the game I play as much as I possibly can while doing so as well.  So I feel disappointed when customization is limited - but I can understand why, personally I'd be happy with the level of customization I saw in Guild Wars 2, I personally think that's the sweet spot and it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to apply it to this game because it like guild wars 2 has an art style and theme to it, while in Guild Wars 2 it's an acrylic paint style and in this game it's clearly a classic cell-painted style, similar enough that I think that would work fine.  I don't mind if we didn't have a sliding scale to manually adjust face muscles to be honest and if we did, I'd like to see it limited to realistic proportions.  Games like Age of Conan and even many of the Korean MMOs have so many options of customization people simply will make a character that looks like a monkey with tiny legs and massive long arms, or a big hulking body with a tiny babyfaced head on it - as funny as it might be, it brakes the immersion of the game.

I wouldn't say it puts stress on the game server, or causes lag; If you had any understanding of how Multiplayer game net code works, or how servers work or in fact how games run, you'd know that's stupid.  However it doesn't mean it won't put stress and cause problems on your end, on your machine because people do it and a lot of people do it just for that reason, given the option to get away with it and not get in trouble for doing so, so they can cause some people to experience frame rate drops and increased lag during PvP, yes they will abuse it because some people try to make up for a lack of skill by playing dirty.

The only time the shape of a body becomes an issue to gameplay mechanics is if the game is programmed in a way where the size of weapons, the position of weapon animations and the interaction of animations between players is part of gameplay, such as for example if you actively dodge and block with actual collision bodies, eg.  Using a shield to block a sword, or using a weapon to block another weapon, or having collision boxes that actively collide with each other and the size of your collision box is based around the size of the body of a character, for example in Dark Souls.

And the shape, size of the body and other such factors to do with appearance only become an issue to latency if changing the shape also increases or decreases the polycount, which in most games it doesn't.

Most lag in games with customization isn't a result of customization, it's a result of other factors, most notably cheap crap servers.  Because most Korean MMOs in the western sphere run on cheap crap servers, especially free to play ones.

------------(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)------------

Now in GLORIOUS 'HDvisioning60fpsblahg'

------------(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)------------

I'm one of those rare few who take customization seriously, I try to make my character look like me, I also try to adhere to the lore of the game I play as much as I possibly can while doing so as well.  So I feel disappointed when customization is limited - but I can understand why, personally I'd be happy with the level of customization I saw in Guild Wars 2, I personally think that's the sweet spot and it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to apply it to this game because it like guild wars 2 has an art style and theme to it, while in Guild Wars 2 it's an acrylic paint style and in this game it's clearly a classic cell-painted style, similar enough that I think that would work fine.  I don't mind if we didn't have a sliding scale to manually adjust face muscles to be honest and if we did, I'd like to see it limited to realistic proportions.  Games like Age of Conan and even many of the Korean MMOs have so many options of customization people simply will make a character that looks like a monkey with tiny legs and massive long arms, or a big hulking body with a tiny babyfaced head on it - as funny as it might be, it brakes the immersion of the game.

I wouldn't say it puts stress on the game server, or causes lag; If you had any understanding of how Multiplayer game net code works, or how servers work or in fact how games run, you'd know that's stupid.  However it doesn't mean it won't put stress and cause problems on your end, on your machine because people do it and a lot of people do it just for that reason, given the option to get away with it and not get in trouble for doing so, so they can cause some people to experience frame rate drops and increased lag during PvP, yes they will abuse it because some people try to make up for a lack of skill by playing dirty.

The only time the shape of a body becomes an issue to gameplay mechanics is if the game is programmed in a way where the size of weapons, the position of weapon animations and the interaction of animations between players is part of gameplay, such as for example if you actively dodge and block with actual collision bodies, eg.  Using a shield to block a sword, or using a weapon to block another weapon, or having collision boxes that actively collide with each other and the size of your collision box is based around the size of the body of a character, for example in Dark Souls.

And the shape, size of the body and other such factors to do with appearance only become an issue to latency if changing the shape also increases or decreases the polycount, which in most games it doesn't.

Most lag in games with customization isn't a result of customization, it's a result of other factors, most notably cheap crap servers.  Because most Korean MMOs in the western sphere run on cheap crap servers, especially free to play ones.

Actually, differing body size isn't so much a latency issue as it is an animation issue. Most games run off a few dedicated rigs to do all their animations. The more rigs you need, the more animating you have to do. In addition, even scaling a rig can cause massive artifacts to show up in your pipeline.

I'm not arguing against customization. I'd love to see it too. I just understand why JTodd is limited in his options and I think people should respect his design choices.