Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gaining Muscle.

unknownxv

I am a skinny guy. I'm 125 lbs and 24 years old. Weighed the same my whole life. But recently I've been working out a lot, my mother setup a home gym with lots of machines including a bench press, so I go over there frequently now. 

My question if anyone else started out so skinny, how long does it really take to put on muscle? I'm consuming roughly 1 gram of protein per pound of weight, so 125 grams a day. Is that the right amount? There's a lot of conflicting information on the internet.

I workout everyday, but different muscles (2-3 day rest for each muscle group basically until I am not sore). How long is it supposed to take? Also, you're supposed to eat a calorie surplus, yeah? But how do I even figure out what mine is? The BMR calculator doesn't work for me, as I've routinely eaten well above it and don't gain weight. So my metabolism must still be faster, with no apparent cause or way to find out. I'm eating about 2,200ish calories a day now. 

Gaining muscle is exciting, but so is getting stronger. In general terms I am quite weak. For my weight, I'm okay. I can bench 140 lbs once, above my weight. I can do 5 good form pullups, 45 pushups, and so on. I just want to be stronger in general terms, so I need more muscle.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.

- Nietzsche

Yeah, genetics and metabolism are factors.  You need to alternate workouts to every other day, giving your muscles a chance to mend and stitch back together.  When sets get so easy you can do three in a row without a problem, it's time to increase the weights.  High protein in diets, but don't skimp on carbs either.

Lift heavy, google pyramid (low rep higher weight). Limit cardio to 3 days per week, 30 minute sessions. Raise caloric intake to about 3k. Take in 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per lb of body weight. Cycle creatine. Find a good prework out that works for you (Nitric Oxide Vaso-dialator: Cellucor C4, NOExplode, 1MR or Assault work for me)

Use a good mixed protein with whey, casien and soy for prolonged breakdown. Take a time release multi vitamin. Eat lean red meat and fish high in fat. Eat 5 meals a day spread approximately 3 hours or so apart.

Work to isolate and work large muscle groups (don't work out more than one large muscle group unless you're willing to do two a days or spend hours in the gym). If you are looking to gain mass, be prepared to work for an an hour and a half a day. Once you are established you can maintain with less than that (45 minutes or so)

Monday - Chest (heavy) and Triceps

Tuesday - legs

Wednesday - Back/Lats

Thursday Shoulders/Biceps

Friday - Light chest/ Legs

Sat&Sunday off

It will take years to get "Big", though you will see results in 4-6 months if you do it right. What I try to tell people is just imagine if you add 4-5 lbs of lean muscle a year. 5-6 years down the road you will look like a different human being. (In your case being 155-160 solid, it could be 10-15 lbs more than that unless you have reached a natural plateau)

Join a gym, just for availability of equipment

Edited by armegeddon

You definitely want a good amount of protein, and at your age, with a high metabolism, you'll want carbs as well. Just made sure you're making good, wholesome food choices.

For building muscle, check out FitnessBlender on Youtube. It's a husband and wife duo, both personal trainers and have a variety of workouts. Here's a link to the Mass Building playlist they have. :) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5lPziO_t_ViCGfTMuco8iAD4Z-psEfkn On their website that have Programs with meal plans was well. http://www.fitnessblender.com

Edited by tehmartini

Also if you quit working out it can throw your metabolism out of whack. I had a high metabolism before and during the Army. Once I got out and got lazy my metabolism slowed down and I went from 145 to 195.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Especially don't eat at night. You don't have to do bench press and stuff honestly. Every time before you take a shower, do 20 push ups and 20 sit ups. As you get more confident, try extending the number of push ups and sit ups you do. Extreme exercise might not be your thing but stay fit by finding any chance where you can work out :)

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

don't overcomplicate things... you're not training for the mr universe competition.

You don't need to weigh every little g of spice and calculate the calorie intake and whatnot

give it time and don't rush it. You'll bulk up eventually.

You should feel a surge in "power" pretty early though. Getting stronger usually doesn't take very long :)

I am a skinny guy. I'm 125 lbs and 24 years old. Weighed the same my whole life. But recently I've been working out a lot, my mother setup a home gym with lots of machines including a bench press, so I go over there frequently now. 

My question if anyone else started out so skinny, how long does it really take to put on muscle? I'm consuming roughly 1 gram of protein per pound of weight, so 125 grams a day. Is that the right amount? There's a lot of conflicting information on the internet.

I workout everyday, but different muscles (2-3 day rest for each muscle group basically until I am not sore). How long is it supposed to take? Also, you're supposed to eat a calorie surplus, yeah? But how do I even figure out what mine is? The BMR calculator doesn't work for me, as I've routinely eaten well above it and don't gain weight. So my metabolism must still be faster, with no apparent cause or way to find out. I'm eating about 2,200ish calories a day now. 

Gaining muscle is exciting, but so is getting stronger. In general terms I am quite weak. For my weight, I'm okay. I can bench 140 lbs once, above my weight. I can do 5 good form pullups, 45 pushups, and so on. I just want to be stronger in general terms, so I need more muscle.

Do not workout everyday, 5 times per week max. Do heavy weights and do not focus on the amount of reps. Eat more! :-) Also find a good mass gainer (MP Arnold Ser  Iron Mass for example). It also depends on your goal? Clarify for yourself what is the main target, muscle size or streght? This makes difference in your training schedule

Many on here have referred to it, but none have explained it. So if you dont already know......lift to failure.

If you can do 12 reps, you need to add more weight.  Get it heavy enough that you can only do 5 or 6 reps.  Keep at that weight until you can do 12 reps, then add weight again. 

A meal every three hrs is also good advice.

If only I had your problem.  :(

Edited by surbear

Many on here have referred to it, but none have explained it. So if you dont already know......lift to failure.

If you can do 12 reps, you need to add more weight.  Get it heavy enough that you can only do 5 or 6 reps.  Keep at that weight until you can do 12 reps, then add weight again. 

A meal every three hrs is also good advice.

If only I had your problem.  :(

Also he has to increase carb to 4 g per 1 kg of his mass... And to gain wight is the way harder than to lose

I suggest finding a trainer, that has worked the best for me. I would have a trainer set up a workout schedule and diet for me for the next 8 weeks, and I'd just meet for 1 session at the start to go over the workout routines which cost me about $50. See if any of the trainers in your area would offer a similar deal.

Over the course of one year I nearly doubled my strength.

From what I've learned though the general theme for strength training is low reps high weight. If you really want to put on muscles don't do more than your 5 rep max per set. Give yourself sufficient rest time as well, 90 to 120 seconds between sets. That should be the core workout for your muscle group. Then you also have to stretch those muscles and get a pump. For chest I would do chest flys at the end, 6 sets at 12 reps with 30 second intervals. This would really stretch out the chest and help get the pump at the end of the workout. I was told by my trainer that muscles are covered in a thin film, he equated to almost like saran wrap, that needs to be stretched to allow room for the muscle to grow.

So really, best thing you can do is get a trainer, you'll definitely get your money's worth. I don't suggest meeting with them for each workout session, its crazy expensive, and really once you get the routine down you can do it yourself. Unless you just need the extra encouragement.

Last little tip, use a stopwatch! Its so easy to rest too long between sets, and that will kill your results.

I know what you mean, my metabolism is extremely high (My diet used to be junk food until 2013, I started eating healthier and now in 2015 because of my braces, I have no choice) I do like that I don't gain weight at all, but building muscle is super hard. I tried working out last spring/summer, but I got lazy.

I suggest doing what others have said, just don't forget cardio. Last spring I would wake up early and walk/jog on the treadmill before breakfast.

7lXqKFL.gif

Was 115lbs and 5'10" at 17.  Joined the military a few months later and was 145lbs after bootcamp.  Continued to just work out regularly; cardio/pushups/situps over the course of my military career and got out around 160lbs over a decade later almost in my 30's.  Stopped running, stopped doing pushups/situps, and gained 30lbs in less than 2 years.

Don't stress it or make it a chore unless you want to start professionally lifting/bodybuilding.  Which from your original post it sounded like you didn't.  Keep working out regularly, eating healthy, and the weight gain will come.

[@--(o.O)@]